How can I get my Dog to leave my Rabbit alone!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LisaS

How can I get my Dog to leave my Rabbit alone!

Post by LisaS »

Hi,

I have a Lhasa Apso who is 1 1/2 years old. I also have a young rabbit who I like to let run free in the back garden. The only problem is that whenever the rabbit moves, the dog chases him, she doesn't want to hurt him but can't leave him alone.

The result is either 2 balls of fluff whizzing around the garden, or the rabbit stuck in a cage, any information on how I can get the dog lose interest would be gratefully received.
Thank You
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You shouldn't even consider it.

Your dog is a predator - yes even a fluffy small one - and the rabbit is prey.

You are trying to circumvent hundreds of thousands of generations of evolution.

Certain dogs can be trained to leave certain rabbits, but if left unsupervised even for a nanosecond, a high number of those dogs will kill a high number of those rabbits.

It is totally unreasonable to expect a dog not to do this. So keep them apart, or risk a tragedy.
DarthAnnieGrace

Post by DarthAnnieGrace »

I looked up what Lhasa Apso's were bred for, and it said that nobody really knows. According to this it says that they were just a small breed of a herding dog, so they have a natural herding instinct. Thats probably why he was chasing the bunny, he was trying to herd her.

-Annie
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Don't go there!!

Rabbits are prey and dogs - regardless of what breed will chase, therefore one very stressed bun.

I have large dogs and buns. I'm currently on a newish dog with said buns and I wouldn't risk it......

The dog would come off worse, my bun isn't called Sugar-Ray for nothing!! He lives in doors, but we have seperate times for SR to come out and play.

In the garden, in his run, the dog, an 8st Ridgeback just ignores him - out of the run... I really wouldn't like to say.

Fi
LisaS

Post by LisaS »

I appreciate all of your comments.

However the problem isn't just with the dog. At the moment when I let the rabbit out I put a gate across to stop my dog from getting to him, however the rabbbit constantly comes and squeezes underneath to see the dog.

He runs around the enclosed area with the dog chasing him, and then squeezes back out really quickly, and then does it again and again. He will squeeze through when the dogs head is cm's away from him!

The other day he came through and the dog was asleep, he went right up to her and touched her on the nose before running away, like he was teasing her!

If they are both in the garden and running out of control, I catch the dog and take her back inside, to find the rabbit sat at the doorstep as if waiting for her!
They are a right pair!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Then put something across the bottom of the gate so the rabbit can't get through, if you don't one day you will end up with a dead rabbit.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
griffin

Post by griffin »

I have a Lhasa Apso who is 1 1/2 years old. I also have a young rabbit who I like to let run free in the back garden. The only problem is that whenever the rabbit moves, the dog chases him, she doesn't want to hurt him but can't leave him alone.

The result is either 2 balls of fluff whizzing around the garden, or the rabbit stuck in a cage, any information on how I can get the dog lose interest would be gratefully received.

and-
However the problem isn't just with the dog. At the moment when I let the rabbit out I put a gate across to stop my dog from getting to him, however the rabbbit constantly comes and squeezes underneath to see the dog.

He runs around the enclosed area with the dog chasing him, and then squeezes back out really quickly, and then does it again and again. He will squeeze through when the dogs head is cm's away from him!

The other day he came through and the dog was asleep, he went right up to her and touched her on the nose before running away, like he was teasing her!

If they are both in the garden and running out of control, I catch the dog and take her back inside, to find the rabbit sat at the doorstep as if waiting for her!
They are a right pair!
OK, I'm going against the grain in this thread. Yes it is true, rabbits are prey, dogs the hunter. Yes, instincts tell the dog to catch it, kill it, eat it in some instances.

However, from what you describe, the rabbit loves your dog and the dog, wants to play with your rabbit in a loving way he would another puppy.

You can have the best of both worlds. I once saw a show where dogs and ducks lived, played together, so it is possible.

No, you cannot leave them alone, at least not for a while. But you can allow them to play and reward, with food (for both) and high, high praise, the good, clean fun playing.

Now, to keep the heated playing from occurring and leading to "bad things", when the dog gets too rough, loud noise to distract, and then remove him from the area. When he is calm, put the two back together and let them play. Repeat the removal process as needed. try it at first with a long lead so you can take the dog away the instant it gets too rough.

Again, based on what you have described, I think you and they can do this without any undue pressure on your dog. While centuries have passed with dogs "hating"; rabbits, squirrels, cats, mice, etc. They can live & play together peacefully.

The question is; are you ready for the worst to happen? In other words, are you willing to risk your dog seriously hurting the rabbit?
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

I have seen some dogs ok with rabbits, but not many, and my dog runs away from the hamster when it's in it's running ball, but only you know your animals, but the worst... if it came .. would not be pleasent.
DarthAnnieGrace

Post by DarthAnnieGrace »

Have you ever watched animal cops?
one episode, there were two pitbulls, and there were rabbits locked up in outdoor pens. It was so sad because the pitbulls broke the cages, and killed all the rabbits. But you cannot blame them, because its their instinct to hunt them. But it was so sad :cry:

I would be very careful, and make sure that the rabbit cannot get in.
Also, it might not be a good idea to have the rabbit right by the dog, because it might tempt him so much.
If we did that to our dogs, they would go crazy!
Then again we have a beagle mix and a pointer mix, which are both hunting dogs.

Well Good Luck

-Annie
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have a friend who's dog and rabbit play together but only under supervision, it is a dog's instinct to chase, catch and kill rabbits because they are food.

A dog in the rescue I help was rehomed last Sunday after being with us since last November, she was returned 3 hours later, she wasn't supervised properly with the pet rabbit and killed it.

Dogs can play quiet happily with another animal and suddenly the prey instinct will come in, the dog will then chase and kill what he has been playing with. This happened to a Greyhound, he was playing with a poodle and had played with this poodle for months. One day they were playing when the Greyhound suddenly went into prey drive and killed the poodle.

We cannot expect dogs to go against their natural instincts, we can teach them to accept other species sometimes under supervision but it is never safe.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]