Chihuahua refuses potty training.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators:emmabeth, BoardHost

jellybean
Chihuahua refuses potty training.

Post by jellybean » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:05 pm

How do I find the sticky thread on potty training?
I have been searching but can't find it. I also can't find an answer to my problem with my Chihuahua who is still not fully potty trained after a year and a half. She is otherwise a well behaved, obedient (yes, she is trained) little dog. She is so friendly and outgoing that she has been kicked out of the Chihuahua union, LOL.

She know where to go potty. I have been taking her to the backyard saying "go potty", or just sending her there. I wait and watch and treat and praise her as soon as she goes. She definitely knows what "Go Potty" means. It's sunny and rain free here in the California summer so weather is not an issue.

She has a pet door which she uses when she wants to so access to the backyard is not an issue. On the rare occasion that she needs to go potty in the middle of the night, she always heads straight for the pet door and does her business outside.

We have gone for weeks without an accident and then I think she is potty trained at last. And then it starts all over again: I find poop and have caught her peeing indoors. I cannot see that I have done anything different to prompt her to potty indoors. She has been barred from the living room except under supervision.

It just seems that she either does not understand that pottying indoors is unacceptable, or she does not care. Which is it and what can I do about it?? I am so disappointed and so discouraged and simply don't know what to do.

She is not crate trained but at this point I don't know what crate training can do besides make her thoroughly miserable. I attended a seminar to teach us how to make your dog love her crate. I can try it but how will I know when it's safe to let her out of the crate?

Is there anyone out there with insight to this behavior and advice on what to do?

Sabrina

Re: Chihuahua refuses potty training.

Post by Sabrina » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi! The thread on potty training is actually in the "Dog Training Articles" subforum - here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125

I haven't had any experience with this problem, but I thought I'd link that thread until someone else has some specific help for you.

Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:13 am

Personally I'd ditch the dog door and go right back to basics as if she were a tiny puppy. Reason I'd ditch the dog door is that I've seen quite a few people using them having problems with being unable to house train their dog, same as those who have the door to the garden open all the time. It seems to blur the distinction between inside and outside somehow. Once she's clear on where she's to toilet you could probably reintroduce it but for now she needs taking out and rewarding for getting it right.

I'd go right back to basics, take her out every hour, after eating, drinking, playing, waking from a nap etc just like you would with a young puppy. Big rewards for going in the right place, lots of opportunity to get it right, practically no opportunity to get it wrong.

ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:10 am

Hello, I have a chi too, Ted, he's also on the run from the chihuahua club :D

I agree with Sarah, my friend has two chis and they have constant access to outside via a doggy door but this means when they are anywhere else they need to be taken out ever two hours to prevent accidents. They don't ask to go out.

When is she fed? By one and a half years old you should know when she is going to poo in relation to when you feed her, the only time Ted deviates from this is if his tum's a bit off and then it's quick mom, outside noooow.

Also when do you walk her. You can make your job easier by walking her first thing, I swear by the time he's been out for an hour Ted has squeezed every last drop out :lol:

These two things I mention won't fix it but it will help you when doing what Sarah suggests :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks everyone. Please keep it coming. Here is some more info.

She's almost 3. I got her from the pound (an owner surrender) when she was about 1.

I don't walk her in the morning. I put her outside or she goes outside by herself. It seems that she know and agrees to go outside after waking up. Neither one of us is an early riser; but this sleeping beauty stays snug under the covers until I wake her up. She could sleep till noon if I let her.

I feed her after her morning potty and, shortly after, I take her walking or to the dog park or to the hills for off leash fun. I have a few clients whose dogs (one or two) we pick up on the way and they play together. She usually pees and poops then. But the last time she pooped in the house was, I think, mid morning when I was a little late getting out of the house. At least I think it was. I did not see her do it but came upon it when it was already cold.

We are usually home mid afternoon when I take her to the back porch and encourage her to go potty then. Sometimes she does (that is, goes all the way to the yard) and sometimes she just turns around and comes back inside. Around this time of day I have seen her squat by the door and pee shamelessly. This has happened after she has been outside. She is so unpredictable!

I feed her around 5:00. The funny little creature seems to know the feeding time because if I go past 4:30, she comes bugging me, licking my face, etc. which I know means "dinner time!" I put her outside a few minutes after she has eaten. Sometimes she goes, sometimes not. If not, I put her outside around 7:00, or eight, until she goes.

I always put her out before going to bed whatever time that is, even if I have to wake her up to do it. She usually agrees to either pee or poop at that time despite having been awakened.

She always gets praised and rewarded after going potty outside. She is so funny: she runs back inside, turns around, sits down, and clearly expects her treat.

I've never had an accident in the middle of the night. If she does need to go, she runs to the doggy door comes back, and jumps right into bed and goes back to sleep without waiting for a treat.

This morning, I had to leave for a doctor's appointment and returned at 10:30. She refused to get out of bed before I left (and I am such a softy about letting her sleep) so she did not get fed or put outside. There was no sign of pottying in the house when I returned, so she had to have gone outside by herself. Things like this suggest to me she knows what to do but only does it when she wants to.

I put up a wire cage yesterday, put a bed and a toy in it, and I have been throwing treats into it periodically. I have found her inside briefly, a couple of times, so I am hoping that I will be able to close the door on her soon.

ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:25 pm

jellybean wrote:I feed her after her morning potty and, shortly after, I take her walking or to the dog park or to the hills for off leash fun. I have a few clients whose dogs (one or two) we pick up on the way and they play together. She usually pees and poops then. But the last time she pooped in the house was, I think, mid morning when I was a little late getting out of the house. At least I think it was. I did not see her do it but came upon it when it was already cold.
Ok firstly you should avoid walking / exercise for at least an hour after feeding as it brings a risk of bloat with it. Chis aren't massively at risk but it's not one I would take. Plus she'll be more comfortable exercising first so that she's empty before she starts eating again. And it sounds like you need to get her out on that morning walk and that if you don't you need to make the time to take her as far as she needs to go to potty (my Chi only poos on walks unless he's really desperate :D ).
jellybean wrote:We are usually home mid afternoon when I take her to the back porch and encourage her to go potty then. Sometimes she does (that is, goes all the way to the yard) and sometimes she just turns around and comes back inside. Around this time of day I have seen her squat by the door and pee shamelessly. This has happened after she has been outside. She is so unpredictable!
Take her out on the lead, when she goes reward and play, if not bring her in and keep her attached to you, back out again half an hour or so later, same again.

You mention in your first post "Doesn't know or doesn't care" and in your last one "Only does it when she wants to", she really isn't thinking "Oh I'll just poop here today I can't be bothered with outside she hasn't learned that the only place to go is outside that's all. Given you have no idea what happened to her in her first year and she has been in the pound I would say you've done pretty good that you've got her this far. I do think that the doggy door is the key here and close supervision whilst she goes from having the door open all the time to being closed to her.

Hopefully others will also chime in here.

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I have been considering everything else that has been advised here. I am sure she knows the difference between indoors and outdoors. She has shown me that in several ways. But, I have concluded, that she doesn't understand that everywhere indoors is off limits for going potty.

I had a brainstorm: I have added something new to her training, the command "outside"". I say "outside" as she gets put outside, or as she heads for the pet door. I practice this even when it's not time to go potty. I then say "go potty" when I think it's time so she is getting 2 commands instead of just one. This way, I am hoping that, when I catch her getting ready to go indoors,or when I think she should be ready to pee or poop, I can say "outside" and she will get the message.

I do not want to take my Chi on a potty walk first thing in the morning or any other time. I want her to go in the backyard. Not the least of my reasons is neighbors. Some of them get very upset when a dog goes in front of their house even though it is not on their property and even though I very obviously have a poop bag in hand and always clean up. It's a frequent topic on our neighborhood's list serve. Some people do not clean up after their dogs (I bet they do not live on this street) and thus spoil it for those of us who do.
Last edited by emmabeth on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove confusing reference to posts I have deleted subsequently from the thread :)

gwd

Post by gwd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:03 pm

jellybean wrote:Some of them get very upset when a dog goes in front of their house even though it is not on their property and even though I very obviously have a poop bag in hand and always clean up. It's a frequent topic on our neighborhood's list serve. Some people do not clean up after their dogs (I bet they do not live on this street) and thus spoil it for those of us who do.
OMG I KNOW!!! it always amazes me that when my dog hunkers down to poop, passersby occasionally flash me a dirty look when CLEARLY i'm poised, poop bag in hand, waiting to scoop it up. wth do they expect? am i to position the open bag under him so that the feces never touches the ground!?!?! :lol:

sorry for the hijack, back to your issue......

the smaller the dog, and the bigger the house seems to really make housebreaking a challenge. ........i've always expanded my dogs access to the house slowly. we start with kitchen/family room ......then, as the housebreaking progresses. we do 'field trips' into other rooms when i know they're not likely to go (as in we've just come inside from a potty trip)

our field trips involve play sessions as well as puppy training time. ....... i only expand their full time access to new rooms when i'm sure they're not going to mistake an area as a nice secluded place that isn't really 'part of the house'

perhaps you do her training sessions in the room where she is having her mistakes.

are her accidents in the same room always? is she picking rooms that are part of the main living area or is she choosing rooms that have less traffic?

btw, i see you're in CA. i don't know what area your in, but here in so cal, we're having dreadfully unseasonably hot weather. my two springers sure are not wanting to be outside right now. ......some dogs seem more sensitive to heat or cold.

ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:22 am

gwd wrote:
jellybean wrote:Some of them get very upset when a dog goes in front of their house even though it is not on their property and even though I very obviously have a poop bag in hand and always clean up. It's a frequent topic on our neighborhood's list serve. Some people do not clean up after their dogs (I bet they do not live on this street) and thus spoil it for those of us who do.
OMG I KNOW!!! it always amazes me that when my dog hunkers down to poop, passersby occasionally flash me a dirty look when CLEARLY i'm poised, poop bag in hand, waiting to scoop it up. wth do they expect? am i to position the open bag under him so that the feces never touches the ground!?!?! :lol:
I'd be screwed if it was like that here. We don't have a garden, so he has to go on wee breaks in the street but he does save his poo up for when we get to the heath/park/grass. The walk isn't a must obviously but it does help, partly the exercise gets things moving, partly the desire to mark :D

It sounds like your "outside" and "go potty" commands are the way to help her learn, combined with close supervision! At least it's not like when they are puppies and they go like every 5 minutes :lol:

Let us know how you get on