Hi from Liverpool, UK, and a question.

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Trinity'smum

Hi from Liverpool, UK, and a question.

Post by Trinity'smum »

I'm SJ & have a 10 month old German Shepherd Dog, who is our first dog since we became adults, and is just wonderful. We have 3 children, who adore her, and who she is so gentle (most of the time!) with. She pulls a bit on the lead (work in progress), but was house trained in a less than a week, learnt to sit, come, lie down etc within a couple of treats, and when we walk with other dogs, she is often one of the best behaved despite her youth. Her recall is excellent, and I have no real concerns (I'm glad to say), but I do wonder if anyone can help me with a puzzling bit of behaviour!?
As I say we walk with other dogs, and other than the odd squabble over a stick, they all get on really well, and my dog Trinity shows no aggressive behaviour to dog or person. Often when we're out we come across a man with 2 Border Collies, he always used to put them on the lead when we came past, and I've now learnt this is because a previous dog of his was attacked by a GSD and he really now doesn't like the breed. The puzzling part to me is that although Trinity will normally recall even in mid-play, even chasing a rabbit or a crow, she will always make a beeline for this man and rub herself on him, particularly trying to rub through his legs, and will not come back to me until she has done so!
I'd love to be able to say to him 'don't worry, I have really good control she wont bother you', and if it were anyone else she would come straight back to me, but for some reason this man who makes it quite clear he doesn't like her is irresistable.
Could it be that she is just a minx - she wont be the only girl in our house who likes to push buttons - or is there something about his dislike that makes her want to ingratiate herself with him? The behaviour she displays is very submissive. She is spayed so I presume its not any sort of sexual attraction to the scent of his 2 male collies.
I am learning so much about dogs from Trinity, and also re-runs of 'Its me or the dog', (don't you just love Victoria's face when she sees how pampered some dogs are!) and wonder if anyone can explain what my mad girl is up to.
Thanks, and sorry its such a long post.xx
dontpugme

Re: Hi from Liverpool, UK, and a question.

Post by dontpugme »

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D

If you haven't already, you should post in the Dog Training Advice section of the forum. You will get more help and support there! :D
--dontpugme
wvvdiup1

Re: Hi from Liverpool, UK, and a question.

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hi SJ and welcome to the forum! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown