Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Re: Vent!

Post by Fundog »

Mine will lie down to eat and drink. There is usually a reason for it-- after Dottie has had a run, she is tired, so she will just flop herself down in front of the water bowl and drink lying down. (If she finds a puddle somewhere, she will lie down *in* the puddle, and drink)

With Annie, if she is already lying down especially, and food is placed in front of her, she will just reach out with her tongue and try to eat without even raising her head. And since she is fed raw now, even when she gets up to go eat on the porch, once she has her meal, she lies down to eat it.

So I have a vent of my own today:

Yesterday one of the housekeeping maids (we call them Guest Room Attendants) told me she had to go back and clean a room that previously had requested "no service." Because they had a big dog. Then later, they requested service-- my team member told me she had to pick up three big trash bags of papers containing dog waste. The guests had just laid papers all over the room for the dog to eliminate, rather than bothering to come back to their room to let the dog out! Even though they have a patio that opens right onto the lawn! :roll: And people wonder why it is so hard to find dog-friendly hotels. I guess we ought to be happy they at least thought to put papers down? I've shampooed enough rooms where idiot dog owners weren't even that thoughtful. :evil:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

There's lots of Milan-esque talk on that guys facebook page as well. He mentions "calm assertive energy", and "exercise, discipline and affection".

I suspect his bragging about how dangerous the dogs he "works" with goes along with that.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Fundog wrote:So I have a vent of my own today:

Yesterday one of the housekeeping maids (we call them Guest Room Attendants) told me she had to go back and clean a room that previously had requested "no service." Because they had a big dog. Then later, they requested service-- my team member told me she had to pick up three big trash bags of papers containing dog waste. The guests had just laid papers all over the room for the dog to eliminate, rather than bothering to come back to their room to let the dog out! Even though they have a patio that opens right onto the lawn! :roll: And people wonder why it is so hard to find dog-friendly hotels. I guess we ought to be happy they at least thought to put papers down? I've shampooed enough rooms where idiot dog owners weren't even that thoughtful. :evil:
Fundog,

I agree with your vent! No wonder some places are now requiring $150 in a so called refundable deposit or often non refunable deposit. I hate it because, I dont want to have to fight to get money back. But, I understand why they are charging it uo front. In Connecticut and NJ they are labeling it sanitation fees.

Yet, we had to wait three hours in Philadelphia while they had to clean the no smoking room of smoke. They found cigar butts in the trash. So, it isnt only people with dogs. And this guy had arrqnged for late check out so we had to wait 6 hours for a smellt room. I dont care how much they sprayed, I could still smell the smoke,

Some places say they are pet or dog friendly only to find out that dogs are allowed only in smokiing rooms. :evil:

Anyway, Fundog, I really sympathize with you as these people are obviously there to gamble and could care less about their dogs.and at the same time, they give good dog owners like us a bad name and higher costs.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I don't mind links, as Nettle says its VERY educational to see what people are doing on 'the dark side'... as long as we keep comments clearly our opinion and the right side of legal, its all good :)

If you ever want to link to something like a FB page or an actual website, but you don't want to improve their ranking on Google or other search engines, do a 'no follow' link http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2013/ ... llow-links it's explained here better than I can explain it!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Along the lines of irresponsible dog owners, I am finding myself tempted yet again to post a sign/notice at the dog park for people who come after dark to bring a flashlight. Rule number 1 on the dog park rules sign is that the dog park is open from sunrise to sunset. Ever since the dog park opened there have been people clamoring for lights and coming up with various solar powered lawn lights that they hang around by the entrance area which may or may not provide much light. I realize not everyone has the luxury of bringing their dog to the dog park in the morning like I do. (I am glad about this as it allows us to have the dog park to ourselves most of the time and if anyone else were there, we wouldn't be able to utilize the dog park.) But, as an early morning user, I am often appalled by the humongeous obviously larger dog on a poor diet poos, that cam be found in some seemingly really obvious places. So obvious in fact that the only justification I can come up with for them being left there is that the owners were there in the dark and couldn't see their dog squat.

Just yesterday morning there were two separate piles from obviously different dogs, within 2 feet of the poo bin and within a couple of yards of one of the four free poo bag dispensers in the dog park. :shock: :evil: This particular poo bag dispenser is located close to the entrance to the large dog area and thus about as close to the hanging lawn lights as one can get while being in the large dog area.

Every morning I clean up after my dogs plus a few extra piles. Some of which are really disgusting, and quite frankly, I'm getting a little sick and tired of cleaning up after other peoples' dogs, so that the area is a bit cleaner for my dogs (and me) to enjoy. I realize I have the option to stop going, but is that fair to Sky who loves her morning fetch game at the dog park? Thus the thoughts of posting a sign or notice about bringing a flashlight to be able to keep an eye on one's dog in the dark. But then, what if those who are coming in the dark aren't the ones who are failing to clean up after their dogs. What if it is people who come in the daytime and have absolutely no good excuse for not seeing what their dogs are doing and cleaning it up. It doesn't seem fair to pick on those who come after dark, just because they seem like the most likely suspects.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Diane, next time ask your hotel desk if they have an ozone machine they can put in your room. We have them here, and they work pretty well. :D They are frequently requested, especially when we are sold out and the only rooms left are smoking rooms. The only catch is that due to the fact that it emits ozone (it's an ozone machine), all living creatures, dog included, must be out of the room while the ozone is running. We usually set ours to run for an hour.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

This vent is not dog related this time, but I gotta share this:

Tonight I got a call to go meet my night houseman at a room with a wet mattress. The night houseman said when he got to the room and stripped the bed, he found ice in the sheets.

Yep, get this-- the guest decided to dump ice in his bed and let it melt, and then had the audacity to call the Front Desk and complain because his mattress was wet! :shock: Why? Well because he was drunk, and thought it seemed like a good idea at the time. :roll:

I guess I have to "bless his heart," or otherwise I might be inclined to kill him. :evil:

I passed it on to the relief shift supervisor, who ended up having his team of guys on the graveyard shift swap the soaking wet mattress out with a dry one from a vacant room, in order to avoid inconveniencing the guests by having them change rooms altogether. :roll:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oh my. That is extremely silly behavior! At least there was no permanent damage to anything or anyone, hehe.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Fundog,

At least it was just ice. I hate to day it, but my ex (yes, he is definitely an ex) came home drunk (an alcoholic) peed in the bed in the middle night. :evil:

It was horrible. :twisted:

So, at least it was just ice. It could have been worse. :evil:

Wondering if he was trying to get a free room out of it.
Diane
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Now, it is my time to vent!

As you onow we havent been able to stay at my parents andare at the Navy Lodge.

Their set up is crazy in that we have to walk through three corridors to get to the pet area which also happens to be the picnic area, and play area.

This morning about 20 minutes ago, my husband took Sandy to go potty. On the way back, a guy came and saw our little 11.5 pound chihuahua. Obviously, Sandy didnt like the guy and started barking and reactiving. The guy stood across the hall from our room staring at Sandy.

Then 5 minutes later, we get a call from the front desk with a complaint that Sandy had bitten him. A LIE! Sandy was never near him and hasnt never bitten anyone. He might grab a pant leg, but most people see it and laugh.

OH was standing between this guy and the dog, and he wasnt even near the dog. Obviously, it is someone who doesnt like dogs.

Here, it seems people are so suit happy. Just this morning, OH had been telling me all the ads for accident attorneys and how they are now handling dog bites. I guess this idiot has been reading these. He just stood there and stared at Sandy in horrer that Sandy was barking at him. Sandy who although reactive, wasnt within 3 feet on short leash with OH in between. :evil: :twisted:

OH just carried Sandy to the front desk clerk who agreed that Sandy wouldn't be able to harm anyone! :D

Now, OH has to go to the library and write up a statement about this.

And, all of this because my d***d sister and good for nothing (never worked a day in his life and depends on sister, his wife to support him) made this situation impossible for us. Mom obviously isnt so bad if they can take off for four days and not let us stay there. What of mom falls in the middle of the noght? We aren't driving 8 miles under the influence of sleeping meds to pick mom up off the floor. :evil: :twisted:

This whole situation is horrendous. And, we cant say anything to my parents as dad takes sister's side in everything and did tell us although after we had driven 600 miles not to come. :evil:

I am so upset. We didnt sign up for this. :evil: :twisted:

Diane
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

)))) hugs (((( Diane I presume no one would take this guy seriously with no evidence of a bite.

Family can be tough, I'm sorry things are so rough with your sister give yourself a nice evening to destress!
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

DianeLDL wrote:Fundog,

At least it was just ice. I hate to day it, but my ex (yes, he is definitely an ex) came home drunk (an alcoholic) peed in the bed in the middle night. :evil:

It was horrible. :twisted:

So, at least it was just ice. It could have been worse. :evil:

Wondering if he was trying to get a free room out of it.
Diane

Yes, Diane. I was very relieved it was only ice. Believe it or not, bio-hazards in the beds are not uncommon. Especially since the majority of our guests are elderly and in need of assistance getting from bed to the bathroom anyway. A lot of our guests are incontinent.

Diane, my mother can relate somewhat to your angst. Recently my grandmother was recovering from a hernia surgery. My mother drove out to take care of her for a couple of weeks. She had planned to spend a month, but then my aunt came out. My mother was hoping for a chance to visit with her sister as well, but Grandma told Mom she had to leave. It wasn't like there wasn't enough room for both Mom and her sister to stay in the same house, but Grandma didn't want them both, for whatever reason. Needless to say, my mother got her feelings hurt, and felt very unwelcome and unappreciated!

So if you are so unwelcome, and your father is no more happy to have you than your sister, why do you stay and endure such unpleasantness? Granted, it would only give your sister immense satisfaction to see that her tactics worked. But still, why allow her to torture you this way? How long do you plan to stay in California?
k9Queen

Post by k9Queen »

Just wanted to vent my frustration by the latest "law" that says that dogs are NOT allowed to bark or you will be fined! This so called "law" is impossible to enforce and it doesn't address the root cause of the barking. Do these "law makers" not know or understand that barking is a form of communication??? I think that this law would bring about a lot more animal abuse than there already is. I currently have to listen to people shouting at their dogs to stop barking or "Shut up". Do the dogs stop barking? No! They continue until they get hit. I think that this law should have been better thought out with proper behaviorists to educate people.

There are so many dogs that are chained (illegal), tied up (illegal) and caged up ALL year round with no proper shelter to protect them from the elements, food or water. During the winter, food and water dishes are frozen and sometimes mixed with poop that never gets cleaned up. Often times, no proper socialization for the dogs. These issues will double or even triple because this law does nothing to address the cause of the endless barking. Most of these dogs, if not all of the dogs I see are not trained and are also extremely bored and fearful.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Laws aren't passed to resolve issues, they are passed to garner votes by law-makers who are too lazy or unwilling to address root causes when it is poltically more expedient to kow kow-tow to special interest voting blocks. That's why such ill-advised schemes such as bans of specific breeds are codified into law.

Anti-tethering legislation is a particular pet peeve of mine, because like your anti-barking law, it doesn't address the root problems. The problem isn't the method of confinement, but rather lack of adequate stimulation and care for the dogs. Dogs tethered in an adequately stimulating environment are no more inclined toward aberrant behavior than dogs housed in group pens. (Houpt K et al; A comparison of Tethering and Pen Confinement of Dogs: Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science: Vol 4, no 4: 2001: 257-270). Anti-tethering laws simply force irresponsible owners to isolate their dogs in even more sterile environments such as basements, garages or 'spare' bedrooms - where they are as easily ignored as they were when chained in the back yard.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
gwd

Post by gwd »

Fundog wrote:So if you are so unwelcome, and your father is no more happy to have you than your sister, why do you stay and endure such unpleasantness?
that'd be my call...........i'd be pointing the car south quicker than you can say jack robinson! guilt is a self imposed emotion. i'd live a full and happy life and never feel a moment of, 'I shoulda spent more time with mom and dad', if I were having to deal with family dynamics that THEY create. Dianne, sure your sister might be a twit, but your parents are allowing this to happen. they could easily tell her to stop being a b*tch and to grow up.............but they're not. so i'd take the approach that life is to short to spend more than a moment of it doing stuff that upsets you........head home and be done with it.