New here

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

crysania

New here

Post by crysania »

New here...just like everyone else posting here! ;-)

I'm Michelle from the central NY region of the USA. I have one dog (Dahlia), an awesome mutt of indeterminate origin (we think she's a Border Collie/Golden Retriever mix). We (my partner David and I) adopted her when she was about 2 years old. She had been picked up as a stray and dumped in a high kill shelter, then transported to a rescue. I met her on transport and fell in love. We brought her home to us a few weeks later. She's totally changed our lives and we love it. Since getting her in 2008, she's gotten her CGC (here the CGC is just one thing, rather than having different levels) and has been training in agility. We went to our first agility trials late in 2011 and loved it.

My other main interests besides dogs are photography and music (Irish traditional and Classical mostly). Since I love photography and I love my dog, needless to say the two often get combined. Here are a few of my favourite recent photos.

And here's one someone got of her at one of our agility trials.

Suzette

Re: New here

Post by Suzette »

Welcome Michelle! Your Dahlia is just gorgeous. :D

I love her tag - "butter thief" - too funny! :lol: Whatever mix she is she certainly is beautiful, but to me her coloring and her lovely eyes make me wonder if she doesn't have a little Newfoundland in her.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
crysania

Post by crysania »

Thanks for the welcome! I've always doubted the Newfie aspect though people have mentioned it. She only weighs about 50 pounds!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Hey and welcome to the forum! :D

Totally off topic, but do you mind if I ask what brand/model your camera is. I'm considering getting a DSLR for a while.
--dontpugme
crysania

Post by crysania »

Thanks for the welcome!

I don't mind at all. I love talking photography. I have a Sony A230 with various lenses. The ones with the super blue sky, along with the one in my icon, were taken using the kit lens (18-55mm). The one of her leaping over the tree branch was taken with one of my favourite lenses: a Minolta 135mm f/2.8. It's an awesome and fast lens!

I love this camera. It does some good work. Though I'm contemplating upgrading to their A580 as it takes better pictures at higher ISO ranges, so would be better for indoor action photography.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Ooh, Dahlia is very pretty, and those are really beautiful pictures! :) I see she has a Fetching Tag - Opal just got hers a couple days ago. Welcome to the forums!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

crysania wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

I don't mind at all. I love talking photography. I have a Sony A230 with various lenses. The ones with the super blue sky, along with the one in my icon, were taken using the kit lens (18-55mm). The one of her leaping over the tree branch was taken with one of my favourite lenses: a Minolta 135mm f/2.8. It's an awesome and fast lens!

I love this camera. It does some good work. Though I'm contemplating upgrading to their A580 as it takes better pictures at higher ISO ranges, so would be better for indoor action photography.
Wow! The prices aren't bad for a DSLR that has great image quality. Wish it recorded video, though
--dontpugme
crysania

Post by crysania »

It's incredibly cheap! I actually got mine refurbished for only $285 (with one lens). Of course, I then blew probably $700+ on new lenses for the thing! Oops.

I can't quite recall, but there may be a similar model that's somewhat more expensive that comes with video. Video wasn't important to me since I hardly ever use it and my Panasonic Lumix superzoom camera does decent video. The new one I'm eying (the A580) does have video but it apparently tends to overheat and shut down if it's on for too long, so I probably won't use it much.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D Your dog is beautiful! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown