My Lab eats everything

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dextersmum

My Lab eats everything

Post by dextersmum »

Hi can anyone suggest some training advice for my 9 month old lab puppy. In true lab style he is a real scavenger and eats anything. At home we can control this by 'labproofing' the house (thankfully he has never tried to eat the furniture yet) but I worry when we are out its a different story. Any food wastage he wolfs down before you can get to him, he chews on sticks and moss (thankfully has never eaten stones yet) and my major worry is that while out walking if he sees someone with a bag of crisps or ice cream etc he will jump up and try to nab it. He is obsessed with food! Help. Other than this problem, he a real joy - he is exercised off the lead, comes when called and generally very obedient. He spends a lot of time with my friends 5 yr old lab cross and has learnt most of his good habits from this dog. The 5 year old does not have food/eating issues so it's not learned behaviour. I really would like to get this problem sorted before the summer months and picnickers take to the parks !! Thanks. :? P.S. He eats really quickly as well which we have managed to slow down marginally by raising his food bowl off the ground and placing a ball in the centre of his bowl so he has to eat around it.
emmabeth

Re: My Lab eats everything

Post by emmabeth »

Prevention is your first step - labradors ARE food hoovers so first of all, get rid of any expectations you might have of him ignoring food in the house (and that includes the trash can!) except when closely supervised.

If he is regularly scavenging from the ground on walks then use a long line and harness rather than having him off leash, and ensure he never gets so far from you that he can snaffle food before you can stop him.

Teach him several things - that he ALWAYS sits to greet people, until that becomes an automatic reaction.

That he never ever touches something when you say 'leave' - check out the 'its yer choice' thread in the Articles section as this deals with impulse control which you need, and will help you teach a rock solid Leave.

Do not take chances that are not necessary - so in the summer months when people will be picnicking, walk elsewhere, use a long line even if his recall has previously been good and his Leave is solid - it is not worth the risk to undo these lessons if you know there is a huge danger (for example you may have a dog with a perfect recall, but you still wouldn't walk him off leash through a herd of sheep, why take that risk).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
reactive123gsd

Post by reactive123gsd »

How much exercise time does he get? Well I believe you guys should crate him or pen him in a area where he can not reach anything, leave him chew bones, kongs, and ect at all times(unbreakable safe toys or if you do not want to risk give kong or whatever supervised, and leave only chew bones). Start making him work for his food tire out his brain (there are lots of toys where you can stuff his kibble in).Make shure he is allways supervised for now when he is in the house out of the crate. So you can reinforce good behaviors, prevent bad ones. Teach him leave it, if you find him chewing on something ask him to leave it, ask sit, down command and play with a awesome toy he likes for a minute or two. I usually believe that a person never leave a toy to a dog because i believe they should be used as rewards, but in these cases it is really important to give a dog a good alternative so he learns what he can and not can chew on. Never praise say his name whatever when he is chewing on something he isn't supposed to. Praise him when he chews on correct items(as you know chew bones ect ect)When he gets over this problem then you can leave him in the house not supervised outside the crate
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I've just gone from a dog who wasn't interested in food and would often go several days without eating to a Lab who eats pretty much everything he can get hold of. We're working very hard on the whole jumping up and grabbing doesn't get you ANYTHING (food, toys, affection, doors opened, whatever) but sitting nicely does. I also teach that mugging for treats or even staring at treats does not work, only when the dog ignores it will he get something. It's yer choice backfired on me with Rupert, he took it as he couldn't eat ANY food at all but then he was very suspicious of food in the first place. I'm going to give it a go with Spencer who could certainly use learning some impulse control where food is concerned.