Fear Aggressiveness

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Zebadog

Fear Aggressiveness

Post by Zebadog »

Help! I have a 16 month old Rottie. She is a puppy mill survivor.I rescued her from the rescue when she was 4 months old. Here's the problem; she is afraid of everyone except our immediate household members, my wife, my 8yr old son and me. If we have visitors I have to put her in another room or she will try to attack. She growls, shows teeth, her hair stands straight up and she lunges. I put her through obedience training as soon as we rescued her and she does very well...she is a puppy though :D I have tried to socialize her, and she does go to doggy day care every now and then. When I take her to the Vet, I have to hold her (Tight) and they often want to muzzzle her. The vet is at the point now hinting around that I should put her down. Oh, the city I live in has a zero tolerance for aggressive dogs. I received a complaint from the city, but it just so happened that I moved within a week of the warning. The city would have taken her and euthanized her. I can not put her down, she is a wonderful sweet, loving dog. Can someone help? Victoria, I need help! Chris
jacksdad

Re: Fear Aggressiveness

Post by jacksdad »

there certainly things that can be tried before going the euthanize route.

It would actually be better if you could post this question in this forum here viewforum.php?f=4 as it will get more views.

Basically for the time you need to keep your dog away from whatever is causing a fear aggressive response. if that is just people, no unknown people come close and maybe even to your house. this is just the starting place. The goal is not to have to live isolated, but if you want to help your dog you can't keep letting "scary" get close.

Obedience classes are all well and good, but they won't directly help with this issue. So again for now keep whatever is scaring your dog as far away as possible. and either re post this to the advice forum (link above) or maybe our moderator can move it for us.

the basic "steps" to helping your dog are as follows

take a break, don't let scary get close. Avoid scary. this lets your dog de stress and you to de stress and gives you a chance to learn what is required to turn this around.

de sensitize. this is where you at a safe distance let your dog learn "scary" means good things. you do this by finding the distance your dog needs to know scary is around but not react. then when dog looks at or otherwise indicate they know scary is there you do something that make your dog feel good. after some time your dog's association changes from "OH $#@7, a scary unknown human" to "oh YA!!! unknown human means I get X...yippy"

counter condition. this is where you close the distance and provide your dog an alternate behavior to deal with scary being close. dog see's scary, does X, earn reward.

there is more that can be done but this is kind of "step 1". While I may use words like step 1, the way this really will play out is more of a process verse do 1, then 2, then 3, and your cured. we can help you through this if you want, but it won't be over night. I have a dog and people fearful dog and what I describe above is basically the same things I have done and he has made amazing progress.