Horus is a real star of the show

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Horace's Mum

Horus is a real star of the show

Post by Horace's Mum »

This is a couple of months old, but I really want to share this especially with those of you who have been with me and Horus on our incredibly long, stressful, terrifying, wonderful journey.

In September we went to Edinburgh to support the work of the newly formed Deaf Dog Network - a network set up to provide information, support and friendship to those of us with deaf dogs, as well as to try and re-write some of the myths surrounding deafies and also support rescues who have deafies to rehome. Horus is by no means suitable to be used as a meet-and-greet dog, so he didn't come on the stand with us at all, but I offered him to do demos. There ended up only being two of us there with dogs, and Golumm the deaf boxer wasn't feeling well so wasn't up to par. Given that Horus has never been to anything like this, being the main attraction in a centre arena with hundreds of people watching him, we had agreed that if necessary we would just walk around on lead and I would talk about owning and training him. I had a headset with mike, so that I could still talk to Horus.

For those who don't know us, Horus came home with me 4 yrs ago at the age of 3. He had been starved and abused as a puppy, rescued at 5 weeks, rehomed at 10weeks, brought back after a year for "biting and hyperactivity", and spent the next 2 1/2 yrs in rescue because no-one wanted a deaf dog. He was kennelled on his own because he "didn't have a switch off button" when playing. When he came to me he knew sit and good, and occasionally down. He also attacked me at frequent intervals throughout the day if I moved, looked at him, went anywhere near food, as well as attempting to attack other people, cats, dogs, cows, horses, sheep, signposts, bins - just about anything really! Oh, and he's deaf, in case you hadn't twigged that.

I will let you watch the results for yourself. It gets more interesting at about 3:30. (Bear in mind the floor was that horrible scratchy nylon carpeting and my boy has a naked tummy of scarred skin).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Xn7rPH890
Last edited by Horace's Mum on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jindo

Re: Horus is a real star of the show

Post by Jindo »

That's such an improvement! Congratulations.
Horus is so cute with his black markings on his little bum. xD
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I had a little sniff at his backstory then grinned like a loon through the vid. And I'm sure I heard someone gleefully exclaim "Oh my god" during the vid at one of his tricks 8)
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bendog

Post by bendog »

Oh he's super! He did so well!
Congratulations
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's brilliant :D He's just so focused on you!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Wow, I am so pleased that I can say I might have helped a tiny weeny bit towards that - but what an AMAZING job you have done with him, you are both superstars!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Wow - Horace has come a long way! What a testament to love, patience and positive training! :D :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ive been pondering this (I had to run off wi th horrible IBS cramps so ive had a LOT of time lying about pondering!)...

You and Horus are not JUST proving what a Deaf dog can do...

You are flying the flag for positive training - demonstrating that it CAN be used effectively for 'real life' problems, for SERIOUS aggression problems, for SEVERELY problem dogs, not merely to teach tricks or for fun.

You have ALSO shown that a first time dog owner can use these methods (though I'd say you are not the average first time dog owner!) and the results you have are not temporary or just for showing off tricks but have allowed Horus to do things many average pet dogs could NOT do. On top of all that, you understand Horus, you can 'hear' him speak to you, and have a fantastic relationship with him.

So many times I hear that you cannot fix serious aggression problems with positive training, that its only for tricks, its nice for 'fun' stuff but not suitable for the nitty gritty of life with a dog, and further, that with a serious problem you HAVE to get someone in, or send the dog away, that it is beyond the scope of most owners let alone a first time owner... (oh, and the number of times I have been told it isn't possible to give safe, effective useful advice via the internet...GRR!)

You and Horus prove, thats all bollocks! :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Wow! What an ambassador you are for positive training AND deaf dogs! That was wonderful to watch.

You two have a lovely relationship, and H is in super condition. What a lovely reward for all your hard work and those dark days when you felt all alone with a (series of) huge problem (s). It just shows what is possible with hard work, commitment and the right attitude.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Thank you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Em, you just made me leak, how dare you! But seriously, I am really touched, you and Nettle have been with us from the beginning, when I had a lot to learn, and you have supported me through it all. I can never thank you guys enough, just knowing that you were there if I needed support was often enough for me to not need it!

I really hope I can do more with this, we both really enjoyed the demos. But Horus also enjoyed being there, he met lots of people (mainly on the dogstrust stand where everyone knew his brother) and even walked around the stalls with me in the quieter parts of the day, on a loose lead with no treats, with kids running past, other dogs all over the place, loads of people, and never batted an eyelid. Just incredible. I think he was born to go in that ring, he just walked in as if he owned it. (I took him in a couple of times each morning before the crowds arrived and just played and did a few bits and bobs so he knew it was a good place, but he just blew me away when he never glanced at all the people, just waited to see what game we were going to play now!!)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

You absolutely have a lot to be proud of. I for one, am glad your back. What you have accomplished with Horus is very inspirational.

I was expecting the video of you and Horus on the black mats, but this one was way cooler.
Raichyrae

Post by Raichyrae »

That was absolutely beautiful and so touching . I must have something in my eyes, they appear to be watering a bit :)