Flyball

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

Flyball

Post by danabanana »

OK so as I put in the other thread, the training class we go to also runs agility and flyball training.

We haven't started flyball yet and I'm not sure if Teagan will take to it or not. Again she is too young at the moment but the lady who runs it says we can start small with just getting used to the noise the box makes, and retrieving a tennis ball. She will retrieve to some extent, but only if the thing you want retrieving is not more interesting for her to chew up! She does do well with tennis balls so we'll see how it goes!
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

ooh nobody else does flyball? There is a competition on easter sunday we are going to watch, can't remember where it is - hope to be competing ourselves by July. Teagan not quite got the retrieve yet, she'll drop the ball somewhere near you rather than bringing it back, then wander off sniffing the ground. But it's close!
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Flyball looks wicked and I am sure the dogs love it. Thing is though Ellie can't catch, she has zero coordination at the moment so I don't think she would be very good at it. Plus is she maybe a bit big for it?

Let me know how you go though as its amazing to watch.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

I don't think Teagan is much of a flyball dog. She's just not that interested in tennis balls. She will race full pelt to go and get it then gets distracted on her way back, and drops the ball to go and investigate.

Ah well, we both like agility better anyway!
herdingdogs

Flyball

Post by herdingdogs »

Well I'm new to this forum but as a flyball addict I had to jump in on this post. :D

Almost any dog can do flyball--big and small. We have quite a variety of breeds and mixes racing in our region. The dogs love it and it's a great way for humans to hang out and have a good time too. And it's a great way to exercise your dog both physically and mentally.

You don't need a dog that loves tennis balls to do flyball. In fact some of the worst ones to train are the dogs that are obsessed by tennis balls. You need to find something that your dog loves (food, a toy, etc) and use that as a motivator for getting the dog to retrieve the ball.

Flyball is a game that should be fun for both you and your dog. But if it's not for you both, there are plenty of other fun things you can do--agility, tracking, freestyle, disc dog--just to name a few.

Good luck in whatever you and your dog do together.
Linda
Tab (PWC)
Sage, Remmy, Blade (Australian Shepherds)