My dog doesn't like any dog treats.

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

klauer1206

My dog doesn't like any dog treats.

Post by klauer1206 »

My dog doesn't eat any of the dog treats that I have bought her. There for I can not train her. I don't know what to do. She is acting bad and I need to find something fast!!!!

Help!!!!!
dontpugme

Re: My dog doesn't like any dog treats.

Post by dontpugme »

Of course you can train without treats! :D

Make sure there are no medical issues. Also make sure that it is not something like stress or fear causing her not to eat.

I personally don't like commercial dog treats very much. I prefer using fresh fruits/veggies, chicken, hotdog, cheese, and peanut butter. Many people here bake their own liver treats. (theres a recipe here somewhere) You can also use a beloved toy as a rewards. You should probably experiment.
--dontpugme
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

As Dontpugme has said , you don't need to buy commercial treats. They are often boring anyway. make your own or use very very very small bits of cheese and sausage - it's your responsibility to check your dog is ok on this type of treat BTW.

Also, just want to point out - your dog is NOT being bad. She simply does not know what is required of her. It's up to you to show her then there can be no confusion.
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Hi klauer1206

Perhaps you could explain in more detail how your dog misbehaves and then we could offer you more advice.

And for the benefit of the trainers, could you also give a rundown of your dogs average day, such as food, exercise, training, how many hours left alone, infact as much information as possible then they will be able to help better.

Thanks
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

It sounds like you are buying dog treats? Dont bother....just cut up small bits of hitdog sausage, cook some chicken or sausage and cut it up, use pieces of cheese, even veggies if your dog likes them. You need to find out what food she loves. But some dogs arent food motivated, so use her favourite toy/game, or give her a good cuddle or massage if that is what she loves. You know your dog best...what does she love the most?

Also, as others have said, plese dont see her behaviour as 'acting bad'....she is not being bad, she is just being a dog who doesnt know how YOU want her to behave.
emcn916

Post by emcn916 »

We use hot dogs at the shelter where I am a volunteer trainer. We have also used chicken, turkey, and Bil Jac dog food. For dogs that don't like any of it, sometimes a favorite toy will work. If all else fails, praise, praise, praise...
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

klauer1206 wrote:My dog doesn't eat any of the dog treats that I have bought her. There for I can not train her. I don't know what to do. She is acting bad and I need to find something fast!!!!

Help!!!!!
ALL dogs will respond to food. Period. No if and or but...almost. Most store bought treats are basically "bread/biscuit" style which are uninteresting and no where near as tasty and motivating as the packaging would have you think. not all but a lot fall into this description. When trying to figure out what food gets your dogs motivation and attention there are two basic things to keep in mind with food rewards.

First, a dog who has just recently eaten will very possibly NOT show interest in food. A full stomach does not make for a very motivated dog sometimes.
Second, the dog chooses the treat. Meaning you might think the treat your offering is very cool, but if your dog doesn't then it's of no value.

The "treats" that dogs in general seems to respond to the most are ones that smell heavily of meat or is actually meat. Other things that has been reported to work is cheese and baby food as some dogs seem to respond to being able to lick something.

so that covers most dogs. there are exceptions to ever rule. Some dogs and some breads tend to respond more to physical rewards such as a good rub or attention or getting to play with a special toy or getting to do a special activity.

Some food suggestions that have been reported here to have a wide degree of success

hot dogs
plain chicken breast
cheese
natural balance food roles
baby food in the jar

Basically for a food reward ANY dog safe food that gets your dog's attention and motivated to work will work. But it might take some experimenting to figure out what your dog will work for.

Any dog safe thing that gets your dogs attention, that they show a more then passing desire to have access to can be used as a training reward. it's not about treats, it's about the reward or pay check so to speak that your dog values. most dogs that is food, some it's toy or play based and a few it's praise.
Beau&Luke'sMomn

Post by Beau&Luke'sMomn »

Good luck. Our dogs salivate when they see us pull out the peanut butter jar. They also like cheese and cantaloupe. Both Beau & Luke are very food motivated and they like dog treats too. I am sure if you follow some of the ideas posted on here you will find what works. Beau loves the sound of the clicker and Luke loves being touched, petted and rubbed.
foxer

Post by foxer »

My puppy didn't care about treats what ever I tried until I bought dried calves liver that I soaked in water for a day. Those stinked so bad that they must have tasted awesome. Before that no wieners, cold cuts nor dog crackers did the deal. You just have to be patient trying to find that special treat. Good luck!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

My dogs will also respond well to praise and attention. They prefer food treats, but food is not always necessary on all dogs. Many dogs are equally, if not more responsive, to attention, praise, or a favorite toy/game. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

You can try Whole Life's treats - they are freeze-dried meat that my dogs love. I use them for "special" times, like grooming and nail-clipping, but if your dog is picky, they might help. Also, go for softer, smellier treats. If you can, take her to the pet store to see which treats she smells and which she ignores.

As others have said, try training before she eats breakfast/dinner, instead of after - a hungry dog will want food more than a full one!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
shdyldy

Post by shdyldy »

My dog will do anything for a Cheerio!
jennageit

Post by jennageit »

My guys are a little different.

Pippa - the old white Boxer will bend over backwards for any thing that looks like it might be a treat.

Peppa - the young border collie girl loves the Julieus dog straps, biscuit bones, pizza crusts, anything really, as long as it's accompanied by a "Good" or better yet a "Very Good".

Jock - well, food isn't important to him apparently. He'll take the treat because I gave it to him, but he wont actually eat it. He'll place it next to him. Over the last six months I've managed to find that he'll eat the treats if I make a big deal of them. I really think that I just haven't found his "delight" yet. Cooked chicken, sausage, kabana, fruit, nothing seems to take his fancy.
He loved bits of bread for a while, considered cheese, and at the moment, it's BBQ flavour crisps lol
Pats and a scratch on the belly are still his ultimate rewards, and a "good dog" from me.

I don't believe that dogs wont take food as a treat, I do believe that the right treat hasn't been found for that dog yet.

Jenna

PS. I know a lady who uses Cheese & Bacon balls for treating her GSP.
Kids, dogs, family, writing, coffee and chocolate. What more is there in life?
Oh yeah, updating my blog daily, there's always that too!