A step in the right direction!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Helen2009

A step in the right direction!

Post by Helen2009 »

Hi there guys, I haven't been on here for ages, and I've missed it alot,the advice given is brilliant!

I posted a while ago about my reactive border terrier Evie and I'd like to update you all! I had a behavioural consultation with the APBC who gave me some great advice, along with great advice on here. Its been a year now and she is doing so well. She has gotten to the point where we can pass dogs on the same pavement and trot on happily by. She still looks and gives a stare, but she walks on by me. Before she would freeze, huff and puff, stress shake, and growl and bark and bounce about, so I am pleased with her progress. Its taken me an age to get this far, and I would be lying if I said I have enjoyed it. I have had to walk her separately from my other dog and its been hell really. I had these visions of what owning two dogs would be like, but it didn't work out like that at all. She is fine with some dogs (mainly ones that totally ignore her!) but will be quite reactive with others, mainly other terrier bitches. Her recall is a bit hit and miss though, so I can't risk letting her off lead. So pleased with her progress! :D
jacksdad

Re: A step in the right direction!

Post by jacksdad »

your doing excellent. keep up the good work.

I know your tired, and now that your making progress it's temping to slack off, but do your best to keep going. keep the training up. I remember when Jack finally reached a point that he could ignore other dogs that were ignoring him. you have reach a nice mile stone. soon you will be able to pass even dogs that don't ignore her. maybe not all of them, but some.
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Thank you very much Jacksdad :D . Its a long windy road ahead, but we'll get there. I wonder did Jack have any problems with his recall? Evie is off like a torpedo if she sees another dog, so I seldom let her off lead.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well done, isn't it a lovely feeling when you realise you are getting there. :D

Have a look at this for recall viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7155 Bonnie and Tilly have good recalls but in a strange place I still have a long line on them but let them drag it. Dolly has had her recall spoilt by the girl who walks her for me so will have to start again, Cyril is doing really well with his recall but can't be trusted yet. From they way he is it looks like going into woods etc is new to him, his head goes down and doesn't come up again until we come out, he is totally ablivious to anything I say or do so don't try, I don't want to spoil what recall he has.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Jack's recall is pretty darn good EXCEPT when he finds something to eat or other dogs. as for the other dogs...It is 50/50. I am still trying to figure out what makes the difference between him feeling he "HAS" to run over and ignore me and when he takes a a couple steps and returns to me.
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Thank you both for your encouraging words. Mattie I will look up that thread now and have a read. :D
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Jacksdad, how did you get your lad to ignore other dogs that make eye contact? My husband and I were talking about this tonight. Evie is fine with dogs that ignore her on the other side of the road. She glances that way, but she no longer stops and freezes and growls, she'll just look and walk on by, and then look at me for a treat... BUT if the dog so much as glances our way and stares at her she sounds off. This is something that is hard to train from a distance as we cannot see the dogs expression. How did you do it, hope I've made sense!!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

That's good to hear your dog is improving, Helen2009! :D Good work so far and keep up it up, and soon, you will be benefiting the rewards of the time and effort you've put into your dog! :D Image
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Helen2009 wrote:Jacksdad, how did you get your lad to ignore other dogs that make eye contact? My husband and I were talking about this tonight. Evie is fine with dogs that ignore her on the other side of the road. She glances that way, but she no longer stops and freezes and growls, she'll just look and walk on by, and then look at me for a treat... BUT if the dog so much as glances our way and stares at her she sounds off. This is something that is hard to train from a distance as we cannot see the dogs expression. How did you do it, hope I've made sense!!
work in progress. this is an area he still struggles in...darn terrier side of things :evil:

it's a real struggle for him to turn away from something that is bugging him or feels threatening to him. fortunately (or unfortunately) depending on how you look at it we don't encounter this all that often and because of progress in other areas of his dog reactivity it is really taking a lot more these days then just looking at him to set him off, it's got to be more of a good long stare or an actual hard stare.

I am really laying on the classical conditioning see dog (any dog almost any reaction) = get treat and this has really reinforced him turning away form other dogs for a treat. which is also slowly translating into progress with dogs that stare/give him a good intense or hard look. I am also trying to rebuild dog = turn and look at me not dog on command which hopefully moves into auto watches for when things are too much for him. botched this when I first started out by trying to use it too early before I really had it proofed. all this is working great on humans, but it's always slow going with the dogs.
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Thanks Jacksdad, that's really helpful. I am also clicking any sign of calm behaviour around other dogs that may be glancing in our direction and I am finding that is helping (she's extremely food motivated!). Sigh... its true what Ali Brown says isn't it.. you wanted a pet and you got a project! (Not that I'd change her for anything, she's wormed her way into my heart and my affections big time).
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Helen2009 wrote: Sigh... its true what Ali Brown says isn't it.. you wanted a pet and you got a project! (Not that I'd change her for anything, she's wormed her way into my heart and my affections big time).
HA! I forgot about that, but ya it's a project and I wouldn't change anything either. whenever I get an auto watch away from something that scares/bugs him, it makes everything worth while. that turning of the head away from scary to you with a little doggie smile .... yep makes it all worth while.