Increased Appetite Due to Medications

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mscout99

Increased Appetite Due to Medications

Post by mscout99 »

My dog (90 pound black lab) has had issues with seizures the past couple of months. Our vet put him on a regimen of phenobarbitol as well as a thyroid medication, and the seizures have calmed a lot. As a matter of fact, he had a small one last night, and it was the first in over three weeks.
One thing my wife and I noticed, however, is that the medications have increased his appetite by a lot. He's ALWAYS nudging at his food dish or scartching at the cabinet door where his food is. Instead of just eating twice a day with two cups of dog food, he's eating three times a day, and he still thinks it's still not enough. Does anyone have any advice for anything else we can feed him to help curb his appetite? We're currently feeding him two scoops of dry dog food, and like I said, he's gone from two feedings a day to three.
Nettle

Re: Increased Appetite Due to Medications

Post by Nettle »

This is sadly one of the big side-effects.

Feed raw green vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli etc., and whole, so that he has to chew more. These won't put on weight. Give him a big raw meaty bone to chew if you can get one, or else a big piece (because he is a big dog) of deer antler if you can get it. Feed his normal food in stuffed kongs, add some broth and freeze them so that it takes him longer to get the food out, scatter some of his food thinly around the yard so he has to work to find it, wrap individual pieces of kibble in newspaper (know any kids? They are really good at this) and stuff these in cardboard tubes from kitchen roll etc. or put in a big cardboard box (without staples) packed down with more newspaper so he really has to work for each piece. The more he has to work for his food, the longer it will occupy him between meals, rather than just inhaling it from a bowl.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS