Yorkie dilemma!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

marietc

Yorkie dilemma!

Post by marietc »

Our nine and a half month old Yorkie was hand fed from when we got him at nine weeks old, only because in some of the books I read it suggested it prevents dogs from becoming possessive of their food bowls later on. Our problem is that he will now only eat if hand fed. Plus, it has to be a game - throw the ball and he fetches it a few times, then he'll stop and eat a few biscuits. (Royal Canin as recommended by the breeder.)

Feeding him has become a real chore. People have suggested just putting the food down and leaving him to it, but when we tried this he didn't eat or drink. He just went in his bed for the whole day. Another problem is that he only weighs 1.6kg (approx. 31/2 pounds) so he doesn't have much weight to play with.

Does anyone have any suggestions please. I'll be returning to work soon so will no longer have the time to sit and play/feed him and I'm worried he's going to lose a lot of weight. :( I would be very grateful for any help at all.

marie :wink:
runlikethewind

Re: Yorkie dilemma!

Post by runlikethewind »

Hi

The suggestion I have is a better quality food. Royal Canin is mediocre. Then as you start with a better brand, put the food down in the morning. Look at the website dogfoodanalysis for ideas or ask around here. My recommendation is:

No1 raw if you can do it
No2 Terra Canis sensitive range (only) canned (a canned food is healthier than a kibble IMHO)
No3 Orijen or Acana kibble if you want to feed a kibble. Or Natural Dog Food Company kibble as an alternative

If he does not touch for 10 mins, remove it and put it away. Bring it out again lunchtime, if he does the same, remove again. Bring it out again at dinner time. He WILL eat eventually as he sees you removing it each time. A day or so without eating whilst he gets used to the new routine will be fine for him. Always leave fresh water down throughout the day. However, my bet is that it you went for raw or canned, he would eat straight away... :-)
Beckyyy

Re: Yorkie dilemma!

Post by Beckyyy »

It sounds more like he doesn't really have meals, but more eats his dinners as treats and rewards? I agree with trying a new food, and only leaving it down for a limited time. Don't free feed (leave food out), as you won't be able to monitor how much is eaten and it can become unhygenic. Have you tried wet food? Or feeding from a kong/treat ball? :)