Help with housebreaking a beagle

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mfordtur

Help with housebreaking a beagle

Post by mfordtur »

I have a 10 month old beagle puppy that we adopted and she is the most stubborn dog I have EVER tried to housebreak. If anybody can offer any suggestions it would be appreciated. We are crate training, she does go on walks and goes out an specific intervals or when she seems like she has to go out. I have an open floor plan and she just walks aruond a corner and squats and pees even if she was outside within the last 1/2 hour. I am at wits end.
tinytwo

Re: Help with housebreaking a beagle

Post by tinytwo »

How long ago did you adopt her?
Even though she's not a really young puppy, she's still a puppy, and could probably do with going back to the basics of potty training. Until she gets the hang of it, I would really limit her freedom in the house. If you give her freedom, and she just goes around the corner to pee, that's not helping her learn what you want.
One thing you can do to keep track of her is to tether her to you using her leash, that way, she can't go out of your sight, sneak away and pee. Or, you can tether her to a heavy piece of furniture in the room you're in. Otherwise, if you can't supervise her to make sure she's not going to squat and pee, or wander off and pee, that's when I would crate her.
Basically, do everything you can to make sure she doesn't even have the chance to have an accident. Take her out more often than you think you should, and watch her like a hawk! :)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, take her out every 20 minutes then. And a lot of dogs may not always completely empty out in one visit outside, so a lot of folks find a "pile" just five or ten minutes after coming back inside. What we recommend in this case is to keep the dog on leash when you come inside, then just five minutes later out you go again. If nothing happens in ten or 15 minutes, come back inside, stay on leash, and back out again in five minutes. Repeat this until the dog is "empty." Then go back out again in 30 minutes.

Also, make sure to accompany your dog outside each visit, and have a tasty tidbit in hand so you can reward instantly if she potties outside. She will soon figure out that pottying outside comes with tasty reward, and potty inside is not nearly so fun.

We've also got a permanent thread over on the "Training Articles" thread about house training puppies & adult dogs. It will help you out immensely, so go have a read! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

You won't get me staying outside for more than 5 minutes in the winter, especially the winters we have had the last few years, I don't do cold,wind, snow, fog, don't mind the rain though. :lol:

Your dog is not being stubborn, she doesn't understand what you want her to do so you have to teach her, if you go to viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125 it will give you a start. At 10 months I would take her outside every 45 minutes, you will then be able to work out when she is likely to toilet and can adapt the taking her out to those times.

Your little girl has to get into the habit of toileting outside, when we train dogs we get them into the habit of doing something we want them to by repeating it over and over.

How are you cleaning up after her? Modern household cleaners may take the smell away for us but not for our dogs so if you are using these to clean up you are leaving the areas were she goes as a toilet spot. Most modern cleaning items have armonia in, this encourages dogs to toilet in the spots were it has been used.

It is better to use white vinegar or biological washing liquid or buy something from the pet shop for this job.

Good luck, just remember to be very consistant, the more consistant you are the quicker your dog will learn.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]