OhioRuthie

Re: My Rescues

Post by OhioRuthie »

Thanks Troop :) Toby says he agreesLOL
============================================
My goal is to become the kind of person my pets think I am

My websites:
http://www.freewebs.com/ruthiesfanpages

My macaw said I'm a good girl and I believe him 8)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

DogzRule wrote:
I just have the urge to get my neighbor's dog and give it braids and pigtails and everything even though it's a male dog and hates being groomed I've always wondered what it's like to have a dog where you dress it up and paint it's nails and stuff, but I wouldn't think about painting its nails but I WOULD think about the outfits and the "hair"
DogzRule, please don't do that to the dogs! Get some doll babies, will you! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

wvvdiup1 wrote:DogzRule wrote:
I just have the urge to get my neighbor's dog and give it braids and pigtails and everything even though it's a male dog and hates being groomed I've always wondered what it's like to have a dog where you dress it up and paint it's nails and stuff, but I wouldn't think about painting its nails but I WOULD think about the outfits and the "hair"
DogzRule, please don't do that to the dogs! Get some doll babies, will you! :lol:
LOL the last time I put clothes on a dog was in my teens on the fourth of july..I knew the neighbors were on their way home because I was watching their dog..so I put stars and stripes shorts on the dog..cut a hole in them for her tail. They nearly hit the house pulling in the drive when they saw her they were laughing so hard. I had put them on just mintues before I knew they were coming...I didn't want to torture the dog in the process.

That was such an awesome dog..I made homemade dog busicuts once...she kept taking them so I thought she liked them..but then I noticed she never ate them in front of me..just stood their wagging her tail holding it in her mouth...well I watched from my window once and she dumped it under the porch..I went over later and checked she had over a half dozen of them piled under the porch..she didn't like them..but she kept accepting them from me all while wagging her tail..so this shows they care about our feelings..its okay I'm not much of a cook..I've given myself food posioning twice in the past six years so I guess I couldn't blame her!LOL

My websites:

wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

When I was living in this house near where I was going to my first university, my one house mate had these two little girls who loved to dressed his little dog and mine. Fortunately for my dog, she stripped the clothes off, however, this little dog couldn't because these girls had attached the clothes on this little dog so she couldn't strip them off of her.

Right afterwards, to add more insult, these little girls put the little dog in a baby carriage (or tram) and took off down this very busy road! :shock: I ran right after them because I thought these little girls and the little dog could get hurt, nevermind to the fact I got on my house mate about his little girls roaming the streets, but that's another subject.

When I finally caught up with them, I made sure they were okay, but when I looked inside the baby carriage, I got this look from the little dog that I shall never forget! I got the look that says "Help me! Get me away from these little girls and get me out of these clothes!" :lol:
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

When I was a teenager I tried to dress my small dog...in dresses, coats,etc..real baby clothes...when my dad saw the dog all dressed up in a dress he asked where I got the clothes...when I said the thrift store he had a royal fit...that put an end to my dressing my dog...he said I was taking clothes away from needy children...well he didn't exactly say it..he SCREAMED it..he was so loud I can't recall everything he said :shock: but I stuck to getting her fancy collars after that..I'm sure the dog was pleaseLOL. :?

Hmm I think my macaw would look cute in a tie :wink: LOL kidding of course!

My websites:

wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

About fathers: when did they ever talk to you without screaming at you? :(
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

wvvdiup1 wrote:About fathers: when did they ever talk to you without screaming at you? :(
True...I've met a lot of nice dads lately..seems like times have changed lucky kids!

The same dog I tried to dress up...I use to tell her to bite daddy and I'd give her candy..she'd do it everytime! :lol:
That was years ago of course or I'd never admit to it on here....the memory of it still makes me laugh! She was a chihuhua/terrier mix..an awesome dog.

My websites:

wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

OhioRuthie wrote:
True...I've met a lot of nice dads lately..seems like times have changed lucky kids!
Changing times? I don't think so in some instances. They scream at their kids more at home then they do in public, even though at times, they do it anyway! :oops:

She also wrote:
The same dog I tried to dress up...I use to tell her to bite daddy and I'd give her candy..she'd do it everytime!
I know if I did that to my father, I would have had my rear end spanked! :oops: I can assure you it wasn't positive reinforcement training on my brothers and I, but it most certainly had somewhat a positive impact afterwards! :lol:
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

wvvdiup1 wrote:OhioRuthie wrote:
Changing times? I don't think so in some instances. They scream at their kids more at home then they do in public, even though at times, they do it anyway! :oops:

She also wrote:
The same dog I tried to dress up...I use to tell her to bite daddy and I'd give her candy..she'd do it everytime!
I know if I did that to my father, I would have had my rear end spanked! :oops: I can assure you it wasn't positive reinforcement training on my brothers and I, but it most certainly had somewhat a positive impact afterwards! :lol:
I grew up with all kinds of abuse..my dad didn't spank he punched, kicked and swung the belt (he once hit my broken ankle that wasnt in a cast yet).I think I knew I was going to go into rescue when I was around 8 years old...my dad threw the family dog down the steps and broke her leg. I mean clean break it flopped back and forth it was only holding on by the skin. I said to myself that day when I grew up I'd never let anyone or anything be hurt if I was around. I held to that promise too...I've gone to court for refusing to give back a beaten puppy and won. I've devoted my adult life to rescue...I couldn't save the dog from when I was a child but I've been able to save others.

My websites:

wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

OhioRuthie wrote:
I grew up with all kinds of abuse..my dad didn't spank he punched, kicked and swung the belt (he once hit my broken ankle that wasnt in a cast yet).I think I knew I was going to go into rescue when I was around 8 years old...my dad threw the family dog down the steps and broke her leg. I mean clean break it flopped back and forth it was only holding on by the skin. I said to myself that day when I grew up I'd never let anyone or anything be hurt if I was around. I held to that promise too...I've gone to court for refusing to give back a beaten puppy and won. I've devoted my adult life to rescue...I couldn't save the dog from when I was a child but I've been able to save others.
Although you grew up in an abuse situation at home, you have made positive steps in your life and to the lives of animals. Way to go, OhioRuthie! :D
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

wvvdiup1 wrote:OhioRuthie wrote:
Although you grew up in an abuse situation at home, you have made positive steps in your life and to the lives of animals. Way to go, OhioRuthie! :D
Thanks...I think in situations like this we either grow up to help or hurt...I'm glad my instincts are to help. The dog I mentioned...she'd keep people out of my room which made it a safe place for me in other ways.. Animals protected me in ways adults never did...to this day I have a cool relationship with animals. There was a time a few years ago that if two different neighbors dogs got loose they'd call me. I'd just call their names and they'd come to me...always listened to me. Both dogs have died of old age now but no one could figure out why they'd come to me and not their owners. (The owners were wonderful to the dogs). The worst thing that ever happened was in the grocery store and a seeing eye dog sat down in front of me and refused to move...the owner said to pet her so I did...then she tried to follow me. A friend was motified but I didn't do anything I walked up to get a cart and the next thing there is a dog sitting in front of me..I didn't even know there was a dog in the store. Now I always go the other way when I see working dogs just in case. It's been my experience animals just seem to know who's in rescue and are more affectionate with us.

On the flip side I do think my rage towards animal abusers could get me into trouble...even my vet called me to ask if she could give my number to someone worried about an animal situation because she knew I'd just go right up to the people and tell them what they are doing wrong...not sure if that's a good reputation or not.

On a good note I had to tell another person with cats no this week and they were at least understanding. People don't seem to understand..I'm a rescue not a shelter..I dont take surrenders only abused animals..plus I'm at my personal limit. Some people seem to think because I rescue I should never say no..people do say things like "what's one more" I always have an answer for them.."Its one more vet bill, one more mouth to feed, another to groom, play with,etc you going to sponsor them and give me the money?" Funny how quick the mention of money can shut them up.

Vet day today for Riley she's getting her final set of shots...she's put on weight finally..can't wait to see what the scales say!

My websites:

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

wvvdiup1 wrote:About fathers: when did they ever talk to you without screaming at you? :(
not all dads yell at their kids as a sole means of communication. hang in there.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

OhioRuthie wrote: Thanks...I think in situations like this we either grow up to help or hurt...I'm glad my instincts are to help.
Unfortunately too many chose to continue the abuse cycle. I applaud you for doing your part to break the cycle.
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

jacksdad wrote:
OhioRuthie wrote: Thanks...I think in situations like this we either grow up to help or hurt...I'm glad my instincts are to help.
Unfortunately too many chose to continue the abuse cycle. I applaud you for doing your part to break the cycle.
Thanks..also I know some really awesome dads so I know there are good ones out there :D

On a different note Riley did awesome at the vets today...we met a couple of other dogs who were definitely Rottie mixes...they had the head,coloring,etc and the owners didn't know it. The dogs looked similar to Riley and they asked what she is...I said a rottie mix like yours..and they were like.."we were wondering if they didn't have rottie in them we were told they are a husky mix" They were muscular dogs..look just like Rotties only other colors mixed in which I think is shepherd...people really should know what they are getting. Especially with breeds and breed mixes that are banned or cause problems with homeowners insurance.

My websites:

wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

OhioRuthie, You forgot to tell us how much weight Riley gained, if he had gained any! :shock: However, it is good to here he did well at the vets and got to meet other Rotties! :D By the way, a few weeks or so, I took Karma to my vets to get her annual shots, checked out, and weighed (which she gained 8 lbs. - a little overweight for her breed). While waiting to be called, a couple brought in their Rottie and her pups. First, I thought "Oh no!" because I wasn't sure how Karma would handle six or seven week old puppies, but she did fine! The only thing she didn't like was that I was handling a couple of the puppies, which their mother didn't mind, but at the same time, Karma was giving me that look "You shouldn't be holding them. You should be holding me!"

However, I kept Karma calmed and kept saying "puppies turn" and I rewarded Karma for staying calm during all this until we were called into the examination room. :D Gee, I hated to give up those Rottie puppies though, because they were so cute and well-behaved! :lol: