I found out what the horrible smell was

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

I found out what the horrible smell was

Post by Nettle »

You know when you just catch a whiff of something nasty, but you can't trace it? Been doing that for a few days.

Mr. Nettle just found a ripe dead rat buried in one of the dog beds. Oh YUK.

What a gentleman - he took it out, maggots and all :shock: and called the bantams to deal with the maggots while the rat had a funeral in the woods. Then he threw away the ratty dog bedding. I didn't know anything about it until he came back in.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Re: I found out what the horrible smell was

Post by Erica »

Oof, that's pretty nasty! Lucky you didn't have to deal with the disposal. ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

I think that might just be true love :D
bendog

Post by bendog »

I would love to see your house if a dead rat can go unnoticed for days :lol:

Good for Mr Nettle for sorting it out for you :mrgreen:
MissCarla

Post by MissCarla »

Oooh Nettle! :lol: I was doing that too recently, until my husband finally thought to pull the bed out from the wall where we found a very, very old and moldy kong with (I think) peanut butter inside.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Yeah, my hubby gets all the fun jobs around the house too - kill the bugs, clean out clogged drains, remove dead rats . . . :lol:

Actually, we did have a cat who once left a half-eaten field mouse in our garage which hubby found after it got a little ripe too. Like you Nettle, I could smell it but not locate it for days. Ick.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Oh, that's nasty..... But I am with Minkee here, all kidding aside - true love shows itself not in diamonds or champagne dinners.. you find it in down to earth cases like this one. Raising glass to Mr Nettle!

Here is a related mystery story, with a lesson.
We had this case too.. a horrible smell, from the garage..only in the mornings, never in the evenings.
Long story short - a bird got stuck between the grill and radiator of one of our cars and got cooked (that's why smell only in the morning, after the car was in the garage all night).
I couldn't pull the darn thing out, and decided to take the car to the dealer next morning to dismantle the grill and all, and get it out.. In the meantime - left the car outside.. way outside of the driveway.
Next morning - the dead bird is gone. No smell, nothing, like it had never been there.. just a feather or two. What happened? Raccoons got to it during the night, squeezed through the grill with their tiny hands, pulled the dead bird out, and I imagine had a feast.

Lesson - don't panic easily, let the nature take its course, and she will handle things for you :lol: :lol: (whatever that might mean in our every day lives)
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Oh hurray for Mr. Nettle!

I usually have to request that dead critters get removed. If they are outside in the yard and very small, I might use the pooper scooper to remove them, but I do much prefer for the men folk to take care of such things. Fortunately, no dead critters have been in the house other than assorted insects. Usually the mystery smell is in the sink, or the refridgerator, or the trash can. :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

YUCK! I know what you mean, Nettle! :shock: My dog killed a squirrel and brought it into the house, then buried it under my couch, near the wall board registers! :x I could smell it, but couldn't find it until I lifted the couch and there it was! :roll: Needless to say, I had take it out, clean up the maggots, and deodorize the carpet! :evil: :mrgreen:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ew...

I once investigated a strange smell in my wardrobe and found a very dead mouse in one of my boots. I reckon the cat brought it in the previous winter, it took refuge in my boot and died in there, then I didn't wear my boots again and stuck them in the wardrobe at the start of summer. It had been cooking in there for a few months....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

You didn't throw the boots out, JudyN? :shock:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

wvvdiup1 wrote:You didn't throw the boots out, JudyN? :shock:
I had too :cry: The mouse had - er - liquidised to a certain extent, and leaked into the fabric lining. Lovely Ecco boots they were, too :(
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I normally get ALL the horrible icky jobs so I am just amazed (and very appreciative) that he dealt with it.

bendog, this house is no candidate for Ideal Homes :lol: , but I should have made it clear that the dead rat was in one of the dog beds out in the (enclosed) back porch, where all but one of the dogs sleep at night.

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nettle wrote:I normally get ALL the horrible icky jobs so I am just amazed (and very appreciative) that he dealt with it.
what a guy that Mr. Nettle...

.... but you do realize...only 303 shopping days until Christmas :wink: I don't want put too much a negative spin on this...just saying :lol:

http://www.xmasclock.com/
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH