Advertising aimed at dogs

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Advertising aimed at dogs

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:Back to the original :lol: I actually am quite concerned about this on dog welfare terms. What of noise-phobic dogs? Or plain underconfident ones? Ones undergoing rehab? Very young puppies? This to me is exploitative and bordering on abusive. :evil:
There must be plenty of other dog food adverts that contain whistles and barking, and dogs probably hear high-frequency sounds quite often - we just don't realise, because we can't hear them. Is it worse than making your dog sit through 'One Man and His Dog'?

Adverts for toys and junk food are specifically aimed to appeal to children. OK, this one is designed to make it appear as if the dog is interested in the product but as bendog said, you'd have to be pretty stupid to draw that conclusion.

Nettle, just seen your latest post. 'the star shapes that ferrets love' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's like the different colour bits you get in cat food to make it more appealing to the cat....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh, the power of advertising... From the BBC website:
The first 10 seconds threatened to be a complete let down, but then barking and mild snarling began to engulf the sitting room.

The usually quiet Toby is facing the screen on his back legs.

Lisa's verdict: "I am surprised at Toby. He doesn't usually react like this to the TV. Mylo doesn't seem quite as interested though.

"It definitely got my attention and would make me buy it.
So it's not the ingredients list that would influence her decision to buy or not :roll:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

The thing is if the people who are taken in by this stuff don't buy that brand they'll just buy an equally rubbish one anyway :roll:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

They'd be pushed to find anything quite as full of sugars, colouring and chemicals :roll:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Nettle: There was an advertisement for dried ferret food that raved on about 'the star shapes that ferrets love'.

REALLY?
I didn't know ferrets loved a particular shape either, Nettle! :lol: :roll:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I don't go for any of these "gimmicks" advertisers use to sell me pet foods, especially when I, like many of you, check what's in the ingredients before deciding to buy the product. I'm thinking they must starve the animals to get them to eat the product during filming the commercial for the client.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

CoolDog wrote:
Nettle: There was an advertisement for dried ferret food that raved on about 'the star shapes that ferrets love'.

REALLY?
I didn't know ferrets loved a particular shape either, Nettle! :lol: :roll:

From many years' observation, I think they like rabbit shapes best :mrgreen:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Strangely, I know someone whose dog had digestive problems with just about every food on the market and ended up with Bakers as the only one that didn't upset his tum. I suppose it's like some people seem to do well on pizza, chips, beer and cigarettes!
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

It'll never work.

Pippin hates adverts at the best of times. He says they just ruin the films.

reactive123gsd

Post by reactive123gsd »

ClareMarsh wrote:For some reason I'm reminded of subliminal messaging.

:
It is subliminal... They are all studied to get you to buy. Big companys try to exploit people every way possible from using children, to dogs. If I start talking about this subject I might get so worked up....! I am not a hippy (tons of hippies as friends) but I do have a moehawk so you can imagine how I might think on the subject..
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I think its kindof oddly funny that after discussing this, ABC Nightline have a segment of DogTV, the 24 hour channel intended for viewing by canines. Victoria tweeted about it yesterday. what do you think. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/s ... e-15693664
On this one, scroll down the video player and click on the video that says "TV That's Gone to the Dogs" http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline
--dontpugme