Advertising aimed at dogs

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Advertising aimed at dogs

Post by JudyN »

Tonight at 7.15pm on ITV (UK only) is the first showing of the first advert aimed at dogs: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/pets/ ... reens.html The idea is that the dogs will raise their heads and look at the TV when they hear the high-pitched whistles and the owners will assume the dogs really like the look of the product being advertised.... which is Bakers :?

I'm not sure if the picture in the Telegraph article is actually from the advert but I would like to point out that any resemblance between the dog and Jasper is purely coincidental. No way would I let him advertise Bakers, any more than I'd let him eat it!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Re: Advertising aimed at dogs

Post by WufWuf »

The resemblance is uncanny, are you sure someone didn't borrow him for a little extra pocket money..... :wink:
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I heard about this today too Judy....if I remember I am going to turn over and see if it rouses Dylan from his current sleep!! I do sincerely hope people dont end up thinking "aww look....my dog is telling me he wants me to feed him Butchers"!! We all know there are people out there like that!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Maybe he's been moonlighting... Actually, he was rather perky on this morning's walk... :shock:
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Dylan didnt even open his eyes!!!!! :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper wasn't impressed, either! He looked up, but only because the advert was shown at closer to 10 past and I turned the TV on as the advert was starting. His eyes were shut again by the end of it, though.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Bah we get UTV instead of ITV here and the ads must be different so I didn't get to see if Honey reacted.

Did you check under Jaspers bed and see if he had a secret cash stash? I bet he's saving for a fluffy bunny to love and cuddle.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

WufWuf wrote:I bet he's saving for a fluffy bunny to love and cuddle.
Yep, he really wanted a couple of rather larger animals, but I told him they were two deer....

Sorry..... :oops:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

JudyN wrote:Yep, he really wanted a couple of rather larger animals, but I told him they were two deer....
He's probably feeling rather sheep-ish now...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Back to the original :lol: I actually am quite concerned about this on dog welfare terms. What of noise-phobic dogs? Or plain underconfident ones? Ones undergoing rehab? Very young puppies? This to me is exploitative and bordering on abusive. :evil:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I was thinking along those lines last night too Nettle.....for example, when the Heinz Tomato soup ad comes on (the one where people are blowing on their hot bowls of soup?) Dylan goes nuts and it really stressed him out. Takes him a while to stop barking and calm down....so if this ad is specifically TO cause a reaction in dogs it cant be good!
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

For some reason I'm reminded of subliminal messaging.

This does not in the least bit surprise me, the large scale commercial pet "food" industry disgusts me already and I'm currently reading Tom Londsale's Raw Meaty Bones which is confirming what I already suspected. But then with the organisations who are behind those "foods" again it's no surprise, Nestlé for e.g. With everything that went on around breast feeding and thats just one example from one of them.

I type this Ted is munching his way through his raw chicken on the bone and I am thanking god I'm a bit of a hippy and so did my research on what to feed him rather than trust it to someone else.

Sorry, I appear to have had a rant :oops: :oops: :oops:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I can't help wondering what makes them think that dogs will pay any more attention to this than to anything else on tv. Someone on another forum said that tvs can't actually play the sounds anyway, they're not designed to be able to play sounds that humans can't hear. And for all we know there may not even BE any sounds in the ad we can't hear, none of us can hear them to know!
bendog

Post by bendog »

Ben goes nuts if he hears a doorbell on TV!

Can't seriously believe someone will be stupid enough to buy the food just because their dog "liked" the advert, but there we go.
Advertising seems like it comes from a totally different planet sometimes!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

bendog wrote:Can't seriously believe someone will be stupid enough to buy the food just because their dog "liked" the advert

sadly, I can *cynicalert*

There was an advertisement for dried ferret food that raved on about 'the star shapes that ferrets love'.

REALLY? :shock:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS