How much does your dog get walked?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

How much does your dog get walked?

Post by bendog »

Obviously this will vary drastically depending on type of dog, age of dog etc.
But I was just curious how often you walk your dogs, how long for, and how far?
JudyN

Re: How much does your dog get walked?

Post by JudyN »

Twice a day, about 1.5 hours in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, though may be longer depending on weather and who we meet. Mostly off lead.

I'm not sure of the distance - I must get a new battery for my pedometer and find out!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Piper (9 months old, Pembroke Corgi) gets two walks a day. I take her out for a stroll in the neighborhood mid to late morning and I'd say we're usually out for about a half hour. Mostly our walks are about meeting and greeting the neighbors (Piper is a social butterfly who truly believes that anyone we meet is out and about for the sole purpose of fussing over her), and lots of sniffing and exploring.

Late afternoon when hubby gets home from work they walk over to the very large field we have just outside our neighborhood. Once there, he puts her on the 50' lead and lets her romp, explore and play to her hearts content. They're usually out for about 45 minutes to an hour.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

At the moment Honey usually gets 1 - 1 1/2 hours in the morning. Sometimes I take her further afield so it'd be more like 2 - 3 hours. I've no idea how far as it very meandering due to avoiding Honey monsters :wink: It's mostly on lead but I try to at least let her stretch her legs for a few minutes.

I'm in a bit of a weird state of transition with figuring out what works best for Honey. I used to also take her out a few times a day for 5-10 mins and an evening walk of about 45 mins. Now I mostly entertain her at home for the rest of the day. She's very active and it took less time to tire her out with walks but I just feel like she's doing better on our current routine then she did on the old one. It's also (I think) increasing my ability to communicate with Honey so she's listening to me more on our walk. I feel like I'm starting to get to grips with her communication style. I know this is not whats recommened for fearful dogs but it just seems to have brought some interesting changes and I want to see where it takes us. I worry that I'm getting it wrong but it just feels right, if that makes any sense?

Yeah so sorry thats not really what you were asking totally went off topic :oops:
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Two walks of one hour a day, including free-running for most of that (I know how lucky we are to have this option).

Elderly dog (15) mostly does the afternoon walk but sometimes he is up for the morning one as well. Cold wet days he often just does a few ten-minute scuttles :) through the day. I let him decide.

Often the others do more, depending on what is going on in my day, or if Mr. Nettle is walking them, because he will go out for longer.

Yesterday my avatar dog worked for four hours straight so was excused boots for the rest of the day.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Spencers been getting a 30-45 minute walk, at 9 months old 45 minutes is what he should get according to the 5 minute rule. I think I'm quitting those for the time being and doing lots of short walks focusing on loose leash walking though. He also gets multiple trips out to the grass in front of the flat for toilet breaks. These are usually on a long line and he gets to have a bit of a run around too. Hoping this isn't going to cause too many problems with loose leash walking but I know Rupert and Shadow both differentiated between a long line and a regular leash and I can't imagine trying to get him to where he can toilet while practising loose leash walking, each toilet walk would last an hour or more!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Karma gets two 45-minute walks, two 15-minutes of running with those walks, and good 1 hour to 1.25 of exercises, including play.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

45 minute walk in the morning, 1 hour + walk late pm or at night. Ocassionally we miss the am walk, but try to compensate with a longer or better walk pm. (Better walk as in somewhere new they've never been before).

Occassional big walk 2 hrs +.

One of these when I get my act together, I fancy taking them on a walk like the West Highland Way or something epic (epic in small letters).
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

since we don't have our own fenced in back yard, Jack gets around 4 walks a day minimum, each about 30 minuets. The morning walk and the get home from work walk sometimes lasts 45 minutes to an hour. weekends he gets more sometimes.
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

There's also a general consensus here is that we don't need a walk at all if it's raining too hard. :lol:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Ted goes on a morning and afternoon walk that can take anywhere from 40 mins (which is right for his age) to an hour depending how much time he spends with his nose on the floor/planting his bum down on the off chance we might get to meet the dog he's spotted that is a dot on the horizon/who we chat to. In all honesty if we kept moving the whole time it would take about half a hour :lol:

Mostly they're on a long line or sometimes off lead. Ted tends to moe at walking pace/trot 95% of the time, all out running is only for chasing mom for short bursts :lol:

He also gets two toilet break walks, one to meet dad from work the other pre bed time, they take 5 mins (unless there's fresh snow then they take aaaaaaages because we have to play :D ).
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
xconfusedx

Post by xconfusedx »

Hamish (west highland) gets 45min- 1hr in the morning, a couple of toilet stops in the garden during the day, 45mins-1hr in the afternoon and a quick 20mins at night.

He would honestly run/trot all day if I let him!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Flyby wrote:There's also a general consensus here is that we don't need a walk at all if it's raining too hard. :lol:
Did you get any walks in last year then?!!

Our walks vary a huge amount depending on weather, my health, Horus's health and life around us. During the week he has 2-3 toilet breaks of 10-20mins each day, plus a walk of 45mins-1.5hrs depending on work and the above factors. Weekends vary from 1hr-5hrs, or sometimes instead of walking he comes down to the field with me to poopick - about half an hour walking plus 2-3hrs wandering round the field. Our walks vary between country roads, tracks, hills, mountains, fields and woods. When I am away competing with the horses then he gets several hours of walks because he walks the marathon course with me about 10 times so I can memorise it! Plus we usually have a chillout walk last thing at night away from all the horses and people.

He doesn't walk as much these days as he used to, because too many consecutive days of longer walks (more than 1hr) start to cause trouble with his hips, but funnily he copes really well with one really long walk on the odd occasion. He does have regular zoomies round the garden though!!
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Dylan is approx 2.5/3 years old, possibly collie x retriever. I work 4 days a week when he goes to my dog walker friend....he has 2 or 3 walks a day which are around an hour/hour and a quarter each. When he is with her he is kept on his harness and extendable lead (because of when he was bad with people it was safer, and it has stayed like this because he does tend to run off into the woods and I would rather know he is safe when he is not with me..plus less for her to worry about!) most of the time but she lets him off for runs a few times in open areas.

When I am off I take him for one walk on a Friday of around an hour or an hour and a half...then we have agility in the evening. Over the weekend either one long walk (maybe 2 hours) or 2 slightly shorter walks....OR one walk and then we do other things and go to my parents who have a big fenced in garden with woodlands at the bottom (part of garden) so he often chases scents around their garden! The walks with me are mostly off lead and free running too.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Interesting to hear how much people walk. I thought we did quite a lot of walking, but perhaps not!

Ours get a walk in the morning which at the moment is between 30mins-1hour. However we don't actually cover much distance as it's mainly just going to the park, wandering round a bit and playing fetch etc.
Evening is about the same, though we try to vary where we go, so if it's the park in the morning we'll go to the rugby field, or to the shops at night.

Dogs are off lead for at least half of the walk usually. Sometimes more, sometimes less. For example going to the shops we walk further than in the morning, but off lead time is less.
Pops is still too little to go far, but eventually we'll work up to about an hour to an hour and a half in the morning, and up to 2 hours at night.

Theres a last 10-20 min walk at night round the block on lead.

Quality of walks is important to me. This morning for a change I walked up to some woodland, but it was 20 mins walk along busy roads to get there, and the same back. The time in the woods was lovely, but kind of ruined by the traffic on the way back. In future I'd prefer to drive the road part, then spend longer in the wood and enjoy it, even if the total walking time is less, rather than get to the woods and relax, only to get stressed out again walking back (Ben also doesn't enjoy busy roads). At the old house walks were usually shorter (2 half hour - 45 min walks a day) but better, because it was on open farmland totally away from any roads so the whole time was spent off lead. So the longer walks now are to make up for the fact that they aren't in such a nice place.

If I'm off Uni (holidays/weekends etc) then we either have 3 or 4 shorter walks (half an hour each) or one huge walk somewhere nice and a couple of small ones.

Poor Sash walks at the speed of a snail so she has 2 or 3 toilet break walks which are just a case of wandering at her speed, letting her sniff and scent mark for about 10 mins each time. Sometimes it's a struggle to even get her out for these, especially the late night and early morning one, but she seems to enjoy it once she's out. To make up for lack of walks we try to take her with us to pet shops, friends houses etc when possible to get a change of environment. If we get her allergies under control and her health improves we will take her further.

Ben doesn't actually need much walking. He would do fine on a half an hour walk a day, but equally he will walk all day with us given the chance. So just trying to find the right balance so I don't overtire him, but still manage to wear out the pup.