new & needs wise words

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dodger229

new & needs wise words

Post by dodger229 »

Hi All
Three weeks ago we opened our home to a rescued female 10 year old bedlington terrierxlurcher. Little is known about her apart from; she was rescued with her 7 year old son (who has been rehomed separately), they were kept in a shed and she may have been used for breeding. She walk well on a lead, plays with a ball, sleeps a lot!, clean in the house. What is the problem then I hear you say, well up until a few days ago she ignored other dogs now she has begun to bark at them sometimes quite agressively. The vet who rescued her suggests its a sign she is nervous I was wondering if any one had any tips. I am planning to take her to some training sessions. I really want her to be happy and not to be nervous of other dogs.
Thank you :(
Ari_RR

Re: new & needs wise words

Post by Ari_RR »

Hold on.. Taking her to training sessions under these circumstances seems to be a "deep end of the pool" approach.. if a child doesn't know how to swim - just throw him in the deep end of the pool and he will learn... Not great.

I wouldn't take her to training sessions just yet, if she seems to be fearful of dogs, if there are other dogs at those sessions. Being with several other dogs in an enclosed space may just be too stressful for her. I would first work on her not being scared or nervous around other dogs. How exactly to do that - hang on, there are a few folks here with a lot of experience dealing with fear, they will comment... Just hold off on taking her to sessions for the time being, give it a bit more thought, get some more info..
dodger229

Post by dodger229 »

Thanks for your reply. I totally understand. The training was a 'sometime in the future' idea possibly starting with one to one sessions. Any advice on how to help her would be gratefully received. I have yet to find her favourite treat to reward her with (apart from kind words etc).
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I would also repost this under Training Advice section, you will probably get more response there.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hi Dodger and welcome to the forums! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D
--dontpugme
lynzeees

help....... has my dog got ocd!!!!!!

Post by lynzeees »

Hi all.
My name is Lynsey, I live in spain, have a 20 month old terrier / padenko . .... ???? cross, who knows what he is, male called Sam I've had him from 9 weeks old, and since aquired a 1 year old doberman 4 months ago.. female , Cassie, both have settled in together fantastic and I could not have chosen a better friend for Sam than Cassi, both dogs are affectionate, well behaved, eat complete dry food, I walk them along the beach 3 times a day ... which we all love, and no problems .......................... until last week, ..... Cassie has started to become fixated with the ocean , running frantickly up and down the edge of the water barking constantly at the waves water.. and totally ignores me and I cannot get her to come back to me, she has been on the beach from day one of getting her, and never any problems until now... could this be ocd?? any help would be much appreciated... thanks all
dontpugme

Re: help....... has my dog got ocd!!!!!!

Post by dontpugme »

lynzeees wrote:Hi all.
My name is Lynsey, I live in spain, have a 20 month old terrier / padenko . .... ???? cross, who knows what he is, male called Sam I've had him from 9 weeks old, and since aquired a 1 year old doberman 4 months ago.. female , Cassie, both have settled in together fantastic and I could not have chosen a better friend for Sam than Cassi, both dogs are affectionate, well behaved, eat complete dry food, I walk them along the beach 3 times a day ... which we all love, and no problems .......................... until last week, ..... Cassie has started to become fixated with the ocean , running frantickly up and down the edge of the water barking constantly at the waves water.. and totally ignores me and I cannot get her to come back to me, she has been on the beach from day one of getting her, and never any problems until now... could this be ocd?? any help would be much appreciated... thanks all
Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

If you haven't already, you should post in the Dog Training Advice section of the forum. You will get more help and support there.

Make sure you include all the information you posted here in your post.

Has she ever snapped at the waves? Chased waves? Run away from the waves?

This issue is seen a lot with herding dogs.

Is her recall normally very good?
--dontpugme
lynzeees

Post by lynzeees »

Hi thankyou for your response,

re> Cassie and the sea,

I have noted this in the training section as advised, in answer to your question, Cassie normally comes back to me on call no problem, and she isn't snapping at the sea just barking and running up and down the edge of the water, but oblivious to anything else around her!! ??? but hopefully the training section may be able to help more..

thankyou once again

Lynsey
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Welcome aboard! :D