Failed the home check

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Re: Failed the home check

Post by jacksdad »

NO #$%^# way...failed????...morons!!!

I agree, this sounds like an excuse to cover for something else. Too much stuff???? what the #%^$$# does that mean?

so sorry Sarah.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I would hope for the best for Luisa here - that someone made a mistake, and she had been promissed to another family where she will be well taken care of.

Moving forward - I am with the hubby here - breeder or private rehome. There is no reason why a puppy from a breeder or a dog from a family who cant keep her would deserve a great family like yours any less then dogs from a shelter.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Yup, failed Jacksdad. I don't believe they ever intended to let us keep her to be honest.

If they'd said there'd been a mistake, that she'd been promised to someone or something like that then I'd have still been gutted but not like this. At least then I wouldn't have been given some crappy reason for failing a home check and wouldn't be upset about Luisa being back in the shelter.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh my god :evil: I cant believe this.....I am speechless. Everything has already been said I know, but what an appalling way to do things....send Luisa to a great new home without seeing it, then leaving her to settle in then come in and remove her for....too much stuff????? What a ridiculous reason! If it were somerthing like an unfenced garden...OK could understand it....but then again they should check a home BEFORE letting the dog go to it, not let it settle in for a week before going to see it.

I am so sorry Sarah.....can you go back and question things?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I am still fuming for you, and for Luisa - you are SUCH a good home, homes like you do NOT grow on frigging trees and any rescue OUGHT to be falling over themselves trying to rehome to you!

I don't suppose I can tempt you to a Deerhound - I happen to know of a LOVELY Deerhound breeder (well two, they are a couple) in Germany http://www.fritzens-deerhounds.de/index.html My friend (Keldas breeder) has one of their bitches and they are super lovely guys who due to the import practicalities, raised Zaffie as their own until L could take her home, accomodated L when visiting zaffie, and keep in touch regularly.

They are probably a million trillion miles from you, and you probably don't want a Deerhound.... but I thought id 'pimp' them on the off chance! :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I think, for the sake of closure if nothing else, I would contact the head of the rescue and ask for a fuller explanation - saying that you don't understand why you were turned down just because of a few boxes of 'stuff' that could easily be moved. Point out that Luisa was settling in and relaxing and also that if the homecheck had been done prior to the trial period you could have made the necessary changes, and that you feel the rescue has let Luisa down by letting her begin to settle in a new home and then go back to kennels.

I can't think why anyone wouldn't want a deerhound, EB :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I quite like Deerhounds to be honest Emmabeth. What's not to like about big scruffy dogs like that? I think something smaller might be more appropriate though since we've got a flight of stairs leading up to the flat and I'm pretty sure I couldn't carry a half grown Deerhound :wink: Those breeders are about 3 hours from us so wouldn't be impossible to get to.

Sadly this isn't my first bad experience with rescue, far from it. I think it may well be my last one though, I've had my fill of rude staff, put downs, assumptions and stupid reasons for not allowing people to have a pet. I suppose rescues don't know us and don't know what sort of home we can provide but they don't even ask questions to try to find out.
MissCarla

Post by MissCarla »

Ugh, no one deserves this, and no one deserves it less then you and little Loo. :(

Pretty much what Jacksdad says sums up how I feel.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Sarah, I'm just shocked beyond belief! I'm so, so sorry. Neither you nor Luisa deserved all this extra heartache. My thoughts are with you!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
minkee

Post by minkee »

It just beggars belief really. Surely of all the things that rescues need, it's a loving home for their creatures to go to.

I've only rescued cats before - I remember calling up one centre about getting a cat once, they asked me where I lived, and upon telling them, they said 'Oh I know that area you don't have a garden.' ... Actually, we do have a private, enclosed garden, well away from any main roads, and even have a cat flap directly to it from the back door. 'No no, I know that area, you don't have a garden.' ...!

I hope you have better luck with whatever turns out to be the next step, Sarah.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Stupid, stupid, stupid people. Words fail me.

At least if you are getting a puppy you get to choose exactly what you want, hunt down the healthiest you can find, and get to bring up a good dog from the start - and keep at least one dog from ever ending up in rescue.

Big hugs xxxxxxxx
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Sarah, this is just beyond words. I'm reeling, and just so upset for you and Luisa! That poor
little girl who probably thought life had turned around for her with loving people and comfy
beds, and now it's back to jail. She can't understand that. Oh, it's so sad for everybody.

DId they suddenly decide that visiting military were not acceptable? It makes no sense.
But this is why I don't deal with rescues outside of Rough Collies. It becomes more about
the rescuer than the rescue dogs and the judgmental rescue people more often than not,
and they love that power to judge people. I got turned down for a greyhound because I
would not install a doggy door big enough for me to crawl through. It's so subjective.

While I'm sooo sorry for you and hubby and Luisa, you did mention you wanted to try a puppy
this time. Maybe this is a not-so-subtle nudge to go find that puppy, with guarantees made
and contracts signed before the pup is in the car going away with you.

((((((((hugs))))))

still muttering here. HOW could they DO that!
Labsrule

Post by Labsrule »

Sarah, I do feel for you, far too many rescues in my experience have ridiculous expectations and limitations in place. They certainly don't seen to have the dogs best interests at heart, so another poor dog is deprived of a loving and responsible home. I would write an official letter of complaint to the rescue's Chairman, assuming they have one, expressing my disappointment at their unreasonable treatment of you and of the dogs also. Hope you get sorted soon.
Lol & Jasper

Post by Lol & Jasper »

I can't believe it. Idiots! Big hugs to you both don't lose heart,
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

emmabeth wrote:I am still fuming for you, and for Luisa - you are SUCH a good home, homes like you do NOT grow on frigging trees and any rescue OUGHT to be falling over themselves trying to rehome to you!

I don't suppose I can tempt you to a Deerhound - I happen to know of a LOVELY Deerhound breeder (well two, they are a couple) in Germany http://www.fritzens-deerhounds.de/index.html My friend (Keldas breeder) has one of their bitches and they are super lovely guys who due to the import practicalities, raised Zaffie as their own until L could take her home, accomodated L when visiting zaffie, and keep in touch regularly.

They are probably a million trillion miles from you, and you probably don't want a Deerhound.... but I thought id 'pimp' them on the off chance! :)

Oh Emmabeth, they are GORGEOUS! Makes me wish I were in the UK so I might have a chance at such a greyhound!

And Sarah, they really don't weigh all THAT much, one end at a time <G> Lift the back end, push the front end with it. Or do the towel under the belly liftie sling thing! He'd learn stairs in no time. Oh, I couldn't pass up such a dog myself. However, you are far wiser than I am.

Darn it, I want you to have a dog in your home again! It's none of my business, but this is just WRONG!