Failed the home check

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Failed the home check

Post by Sarah83 »

They've taken Luisa back to the shelter. Apparently we have too much stuff.
emmabeth

Re: Failed the home check

Post by emmabeth »

Noooooooo.... what do they mean by 'stuff'..... and whats that got to do with it.

Grr, that sounds like a very unsettling way of rehoming dogs, poor Luisa.

Cyber hugs for you.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I really don't know Emmabeth. We've moved from a 3 bedroom house with garage, garden and shed to a 2 bed flat so we've got boxes in one of the bedrooms and 2 computer desks and a box full of dvds in the living room but it's not like there's crap all over. And certainly nothing dangerous!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What blithering idiots. Of all the people to fail a homecheck, YOU never should :evil:

If it's the slightest comfort, I once failed a homecheck to rescue some ex-battery hens. Apparantly I should have had more perches up. We have seven trees for fowl to perch in if they feel a perch coming on, and our current lot roost in the rafters above the back porch. I said :roll: we could easily put some perches up, and was told that our garden wasn't big enough.....for hens that had been kept 3 to a cage all their lives....

Que sera sera. You must be wanting to spit tacks just now. ))))))))))))))HUGS(((((((((((((
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Nooooooooooo, I'm so sorry to hear that, makes no sense. If "stuff" is an issue then they should home check before they give you the dog for a week, I thought they'd just be checking she was ok with you.

Sorry, this doesn't help you at all, how frustrating and upsetting :(
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Very disappointing. Sorry to hear. What's next? A breeder?
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I honestly feel like they'd made up their minds without even seeing our home. The way she just walked in, looked around and said she wasn't leaving her here (yes those were her words). Never asked about Luisa, not about how she was doing, how she'd been, whether she was settling in or anything. I could have understood if we'd had dangerous things lying around but it's not. There's a pile of shoes in one corner and some military clothing of my hubbys. A crate of soft drinks, 4 big dvd/cd cases in front of the tv and some books on the computer desks and couch. You can't tell me other homes don't have these things.

I don't know what's next Ari. A breeder or private rehome I guess.
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

I'm so sorry Sarah. Is there any other English speaking rescues near you? :(

A few months ago we failed the homecheck, too. We found a dog that looked just like the one Matt had growing up, and applied for him. We were rejected due to Evee not being spayed. They said they'd adopt to us if she was spayed today. I then got in an argument with the very rude lady. And then our recent adoption, Waffles, didn't work out. After a few days he began attack Evee every time he saw her. :(
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I would keep in touch with the vet on this.. Vet may know someone considering giving up a dog, and also knows the history of the dog, he may be able to put you in touch with someone who can't keep a dog for one reason or another, and give you an overview of the dog before you even consider it..
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh no! I'm absolutely gutted for you, and angry too. You must be so upset :(
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I am gutted. For us and for Luisa who was settling in and is now back in the shelter where she was stressed and shut down. I just really don't understand. If the home check was so important why did they let us take her without one? And why let us go almost a week without checking on her? If they've got the dogs best interests at heart why did they not want to know about her? I really feel like the "too much stuff" was an excuse and not the real reason at all.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Oh thats awful, they should do a home check before you take a dog, not after.By all means then they should follow up and check the dogs ok, but Luisa clearly was!
minkee

Post by minkee »

This is just awful - I'm really angry on your behalf! I would half want to know more about what REALLY made them decide (maybe talk to someone higher up the ladder?), and half want absolutely nothing more to do with them.

Ugh! I'm so cross. Poor Luisa. I hope you can manage to move on, again, and also that Luisa can find someone else (that they will let keep her!).
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

The more I think about this, the more I think that you were not told the truth - either there is a misunderstanding (ie, they have made up this reason because they THINK they have found something out about you thats bad, but in fact is about someone else) OR someones f'd up somewhere and Luisa was promised to someone else...

If its just 'stuff' then surely you could have had the opportunity to put the stuff elsewhere, do you have someone who speaks german who could call (and pretend to be a bit confused and perhaps, 'think' that they are calling to explain you have now stored your stuff, when you can come and pick Luisa back up) and then they may get told the truth?

Whatevers gone on, its horrible for you, its really terrible for poor Luisa and its for me at least, another nail in the coffin for rescues - the more rescues do stupid sh1t like this, the more people are put off them and go elsewhere.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Unfortunately we don't know anyone who speaks fluent German. And the woman we've been dealing with speaks perfect English so it's not a case of a misunderstanding due to the language barrier.

Hubby is absolutely fuming. He's said we're not trying another rescue, we'll go to a breeder or a private rehome in future. As he said, he'd have understood if they'd had a good reason or had told us we needed to move stuff around or get rid of stuff but the fact they just walked in, looked around and just said we weren't suitable because we've got too much stuff is bullsh*t. Our house certainly isn't going to appear on any tv show any time soon, not for having too much stuff or for being a show home. It's just a normal, lived in house.

I feel like we've been used somehow, I'm just not sure how. I feel worse for poor Luisa than for us, to just start settling in, have all the comforts at home and people who cared about her giving her attention then to be taken away and put back in the shelter. She must be so confused :cry: