Gossip and Oya

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: Gossip and Oya

Post by Erica »

Yay pictures! They're really adorable. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Ok guys, sorry it has taken so long but it has been a full week as you can imagine!

Saturday they loaded well into the lorry to get to the show (one person leading, two behind their bottoms more or less carrying them in!) and settled well into the lorry. Both travelled well. They behaved really well at the show, there were some foals who were all over the place doing airs above ground but mine both walked nicely, tried to trot, and didn't dig their feet in too much!! Oya didn't show herself very well, bit overwhelming for her, and came 9th out of about 15, but a lot of breeders came to me afterwards and said she is a really good foal but that judge was looking for a "strong" (ie stocky) foal which she isn't. I'm not bothered either way, showing really isn't my thing because it is so subjective, but nice to know people thought enough of her to make the effort to say that to me. Gossip did really well, stood up well to be judged and trotted up very well, and he got a 5th and a nice orange rosette!! Really pleased with is behaviour, and it is nice to have a memento of the day, but in my eyes the rosette belongs to both of them.

Gossip loaded himself after his class - I was standing at the bottom of the ramp with him waiting for help, Oya was inside, and after about 5 mins he just walked up on his own!

They travelled up the motorway really well, and unloaded calmly at the other end. I was expecting fireworks when they went out for the first time because the have been in a stable for a month, but they were so pleased with the grass they couldn't stop eating! That's fell ponies for you. Gossip had a half hearted attempt at a buck, but it's difficult with you head on the ground :lol: :lol:

Since then they have been improving day by day. I won't bore you with the details, but they have gone from being quite nervous to getting very confident in just a few days. Gossip is so easy to catch now he had his headcollar taken off after the first 3 days. He actually trots over to see you! Oya is a bit more of a challenge, but we are now doing the bare minimum with her and then just letting her watch, which seems to be working. She does come over and almost sniff you now, and she ate out of bucket I was holding today for the first time. She won't take food from your hand but she did sniff a bit of carrot today for the first time. Gossip discovered carrots 2 days ago and hasn't looked back!

They spent the first few days in a small paddock so as to be able to be watched and caught more easily, but are having their first night out in the big field as we speak. They went out for the first time yesterday, and it was lovely to watch them have the space to run properly. They are very well matched!!

All in all, its been an amazing week, Gossip is just a delight to work with and is a mummy's boy already, when my brother brought him in yesterday to give me time with Oya, he kept looking round for me and coming over for a cuddle. I am hoping to introduce him to a clicker in the next couple of weeks and see what we can do with it.

Did you want some photos? Here you go! (Notice they are increasingly muddy!!)

bendog

Post by bendog »

Fell ponies are meant to be muddy!
They are gorgeous
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

They're lovely! They look really steady and calm, too :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time working with them,
and that Gossip at least is taking advantage of every bit of it.
I'm glad your foal show went well for you. Oya may not have
gotten placed, but she was in the top half of the class, and
Gossip is a star already <G> They are lovely babies, both of
them, and such peaceful transitions at every new stage of their
short little lives are wonderful and speak of such success in
their future.

They look so happy out there in the beautiful green grass. (I haven't
seen a green pasture for years, but I do live in a desert.) I wish
I could give them both a hug. Thanks for sharing them with us!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Thank you :) To be honest, I'm really not bothered where they come in a showing show, it is so subjective and really not my thing. I am more proud of the fact they were two of the best behaved babies there. I only did the show because they breeder was hoping I would, and to have a day out and experience for them. Just been down to check on them (in the wind and gales) and they seem soggy but quite happy! No doubt there will be another layer of mud on Goss in the morning but hey ho, it's good insulation :lol: :lol:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I don't know whether it's just how you catch them but they don't seem to stray far from each other, which is how I remember the horses I rode when I was a little 'un, but then I remember puppy training being easy (my mum did it :lol: ). They are beautiful and it sounds like they are coming on in leaps and bounds :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
thepennywhistle

They've certainly mastered the pairs grazing technique. Very nice!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Quick update, nothing very exciting! The babies have had their fields flooded (and I mean flooded, both completely under water and ducks swimming around in them!) so have been borrowing other fields in shifts all week. Not done a lot to help my "avoid giving attention to Oya" tactic, but we haven't caught her at all, just let her follow Goss.

Gossip is a delight, a wee cheeky monkey for sure, but he trots over to you as soon as he sees you, and puts his head in his headcollar for you. He loves cuddles and kisses on the nose! He is walking very nicely now, as long as nothing scary comes along, then he plants his feet :lol: :lol:

Oya seems to have decided she is no longer scared (which is great) but now is as wily as they come, she sussed out all our tactics for catching her, and the last time we did catch her she was trying out standing on her back legs as a method of avoidance. No fear, just pushing it. So I decided after that there would be no more contact until she initiated it herself. I was planning on tying Gossip up and then sitting in the field and waiting her out, for as long as it took. This hasn't quite worked due to the field situation, but she is so so close to touching you it is almost frustrating. She comes right over, just moves away if you put a hand up.

Today we had a bit of a breakthrough - she has never eaten from my hand, a week ago she decided it was ok to eat from a bucket I was holding (but only after us catching her) but she won't do it without being caught. Earlier I was giving Goss some fuss in the field, and she was right by him, so I threw a bit of carrot on the floor by my side, right by her nose. She ate it! One by one she ate about 8 pieces of carrot, she knew where they came from but there was no hesitation. So maybe there is hope yet!!

Now I am debating whether to try her with a clicker, or whether that would push it. On the one hand, I really do need to be able to catch her. On the other, will the clicker build her trust enough or would I be better letting her decide? Help! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Photo from yesterday in a patch of calm between storms.

Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

what kind of dogs are these? :lol: :lol:
beautiful animals!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ari_RR wrote:what kind of dogs are these? :lol: :lol:
BIG!!!!! ones :shock:

they beautiful. will they get much bigger?
Erica

Post by Erica »

I know the lady who runs Painting Horses had an issue (much worse) with a horse not wanting to be touched - basically, she ended up waiting for the horse to accept her. It helped that the horse got itchy worms and she was able to scratch his itches, so he associated her with relief from something unfun (though, obviously, you don't want to do this on purpose! x3 ) You might have fun looking around her site!

Here's a specific post that might be useful: http://paintinghorse.wordpress.com/2009 ... n-youtube/

This post's about target training horses: http://paintinghorse.wordpress.com/2009 ... /#more-811

I love this post about how people would train differently if their horses were fire-breathing dragons: http://paintinghorse.wordpress.com/2010 ... #more-1070
though it probably doesn't have much relevance to your situation!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Jacksdad, they will get a lot bigger but more widthways than height wise!! Fully grown they should about my shoulder level, but are chunky things so will be quite solid. They have lovely temperaments though, and are generally fairly sensible as a breed. Even now they really don't bother about much.

Erica, I think Oya thinks I am a fire-breathing dragon! But thank you so much for those links, really interesting, and I think I am going to see where we get to with the clicker. Will be strange for me, first time using an actual clicker, that actually clicks and everything :lol: :lol: :lol: But if either of them takes to clicker work it will be Oya, she is definitely the smart one, Gossip is more of a cuddly teddy bear :roll: :D But I will work in very small stages, just taking down a carrot at a time or something, so I don't push for too much too soon.
thepennywhistle

ooh, you do have a princess, don't you :lol:

It's early days yet, and she's been through so many changes in what, a month?
If big brother keeps getting all the attention and the goodies, she'll soon realize
she's missing out and you're not so terribly scary, I bet. The very fact that she's
realized your toes generate carrot bits is a huge step toward improving your
image. Besides, it's tough on the ego when your teachers keep comparing you to
the perfect sibling.

Have fun! Hope your weather improves so you can!

It snowed here today, and once their toes hit the cold white stuff,
all of my dogs turned around to look at me simultaneously, with
disapproving expressions as though it was all my fault.
minkee

Post by minkee »

I know nothing about horses and never use a actual clicker... and with these credentials :P I'll say this:

I think it probably makes sense to wait until you're SURE you can reward her before you start charging the clicker. If you start clicking but she decides that she doesn't want your carrots today - it will mean nothing. As soon as you know you can get a reward to her, then go ahead!