Prayers for an old friend? **update**

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Prayers for an old friend? **update**

Post by Leigha »

So I'm afraid I've turned into a fair weather friend. One of those people who pops in and out unexpectedly and promises to stay in touch, but doesn't. I didn't mean to become one, but it seems as though I have. So here I am, popping in unexpectedly to ask for thoughts and prayers. I've just had to leave my old man Lu at the vets office. I'm sad and worried and praying that everything's going to be okay.

In the middle of September we had a terrible storm that came up pretty randomly and we'd left all of the dogs outside that day when we went to work. It had started out as a really nice day. When I got home baby V had been fussy so I was dealing with him until J got home from work. When J got home he started the dog routine and noticed that Lu was no where to be found. We looked for two days straight and couldn't find him. I was convinced he'd crawled under the shed and died. He's 16 years old, so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility. On October 15th a woman posted a found dog sign that our neighbor saw at the grocery store and guess who the dog was? Our old boy Lu. So J went and picked him up. When he got him Lu was super skinny. The lady said he hadn't eaten much the whole time she had him, but we (stupid humans) figured he missed his family and would be fine once we got him home. For two weeks we tried to feed him a mix between wet and dry dog food. Some days he wanted the wet, others the dry, some days none at all. So we channeled our Dixie healing days and started cooking for him. Same thing, his eating was pretty hit or miss and he'd started to vomit this week. I've been busy to the point of madness at work and so has J, so by the time life slowed down to call the vet to schedule an appointment the office was closed.

Well, today I dropped the baby off at daycare and came home to bloody vomit on the floor. Lots of bright red blood. So I called our old vet (our current vet is closed on wednesdays) and they worked us in immediately. So far all I know is Lu has a really bad case of hookworms and no heartworms. The vet thinks there's probably something else going on so they're keeping him to pump him full of fluids and anti-nausea medications and do a blood panel in house to see if something pops up on it.

So, if you could spare some thoughts and prayers for my old stink bug, I'd really appreciate it.

update--So Lu is spending the holidays at the vets office. They want to keep him 'til Friday morning and Kole is spending the next 4 hours at the emergency clinic. Turns out Lu is really fine and what I thought was bloody vomit from Lu was really bloody stool from Kole. So, Lu's eating well and re-hydrated and his blood work came back A-OK, Kole has stress-induced colitis and is staying at the e-vet 'til we know the yucky side-effects from the antibiotic (aka diarrhea) have passed. What a day for my doggies.
Last edited by Leigha on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WufWuf

Re: Prayers for an old friend?

Post by WufWuf »

So sorry to hear you're having a rough time, my thoughts are with you and your old guy.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

First, good to hear from you even if it is under less than ideal circumstances.

Second, of course thoughts, prayers you got it. I really hope Lu pulls through.

And don't feel bad, it's just been understood you had your hands full, new baby, the dogs, job and well life in general.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I'll be keeping Lu in my prayers for a full and speedy recovery and for you as well, for peace and comfort.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
MPbandmom

Re: Prayers for an old friend? **update**

Post by MPbandmom »

It's good to hear that Lu is responding well to treatment. Best wishes for Cole to do likewise. Wow, two at the vets at the same time. I truly feel for you.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Wow, what a lot to deal with! Keeping you all (including Kole now too) in my prayers and thoughts.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ya, it doesn't just rain at Leigha's house...it always seems to just pour when things take a turn :(

Glade to hear Lu is doing good, now for Kole.... here is hoping for good news soon.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Heyyyyyyyyy nice to see you here stranger :) Don't worry about popping in and out, life happens, we know that :)

Sorry to hear about Lu and Kole, I have my fingers x for both of them that things get resolved and everyone is ok!!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Everything crossed for good results. ))))))))))))))HUG(((((((((((((((( and cybercake (bet you've missed the cybercake).
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Thanks guys! J's just left to go pick Kole up. He ended up having to stay at the emergency vet all night. The vet didn't want to send him home 'til he'd seen Kole have a bowel movement just to make sure what it was going to be like. Kole had other plans and decided he didn't want to poo for the vet, so they ended up giving him an enema this morning to make things happen. We REALLY like our emergency vet. He's really nice to all the animals and to us. He has a great "bed-side" manner. He was talking to me about the time we took Bruiser there (the same week we got Bru, so that's been years ago) and was asking how he was, etc. Unfortunately he doesn't have a normal practice, the e-clinic is his practice so we can't take our animals to him on a normal basis.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Thoughts and prayers coming your way, Leigha!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown