BloodHound Questions!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChubbyPuppy74

BloodHound Questions!

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

Me again :) No problem this time with my poochies just a question.

So, Everyday when I take Mia on her walks I often get asked what breed Mia Is. I say bloodhound and their reply is "Oh, she doesn't look allot like other bloodhounds I have seen" Mia has been called many breeds, Great dane (which really made me laugh) Coonhound, basset hound (hahaha) and so on. Well, it got me thinking, Mia kinda doesn't resemble most bloodhounds her age, she is more slender then others. She doesn't have a bulky body like allot of other bloodhounds. Is that normal? I just wonder if she is going to look more like that later in life? Don't get me wrong, I love mia, I love the way she looks, she is beautiful in my eyes. It's just a question that has been on my mind for a while. For those who don't know Mia, Is my Four year old bloodhound. She is Purebred AKC Registered.

Here's a picture of Mia so you can see what she looks like.

http://s893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... C08455.jpg
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Suzette

Re: BloodHound Questions!

Post by Suzette »

Most bloodhounds I've seen have had longer ears and were a bit jowlier (is that a word?? lol) with a few more wrinkles and droops and drapes around the muzzle. But there are variations in all breeds and your Mia just looks a bit more refined for the breed to me. But I would definitely be thinking 'bloodhound' if I passed you at the park. And you're right - she's absolutely beautiful! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

She doesn't quite fit the "stereotype," but that's okay--- there are always exceptions to every breed. :D My first thought would have been Redbone Coonhound-- which is pretty close, actually. And yes, she's very beautiful. :D

If it's any consolation, my Annie gets mistaken for a purebred Border Collie all the time! :lol: She's nothing of the sort, but people automatically think border collie just because she's black and white. :lol:

Then there is Dottie, and people ask me all the time if she's some sort of dalmation mix. :lol: But that's only because the people who ask that had no idea there was any such thing as an English Setter, thinking all setters are red! :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
ChubbyPuppy74

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

Thanks Guys, :). I never got to see Mia's parents since Mia came to a surpise to me, luckily I did my research and bloodhounds happen to be a breed among the ones I researched. Mia from her puppy hood look like different, Although You can definately still see her precious puppy face in there. Glad I'm not the only one who's dog is mistaken as others. Atleast there are few people who know what breed Mia is. I'm always getting compliments on her, apparently bloodhounds aren't common in my state :).

Here's a picture of mia when she was a pup about 2 almost 3 months old. What a cutie she was.

http://s893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... egreat.jpg

And another one I took recently..

http://s893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... M_6163.jpg

And Then The days/nights where Mia Actually looks like a bloodhound. Mia's "beauty" sleep.

http://s893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 077211.jpg
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Well, I used to know a fellow who raised bloodhounds, so I'm used to the variations of this particular breed. But I think most folks have one definitive idea of what each breed should look like and any variation on that throws them off. :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I DEFINITELY see the bloodhound in her face, in the second picture (of her laying on the grass): the sad, sleepy eyes, and longer, more slender muzzle, in comparison to the slightly broader muzzle of the coonhounds. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.