pneumonia in my senior dog

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarithe

pneumonia in my senior dog

Post by Sarithe »

My Sassy has had a rough time this past month. She has been in for a couple of infection, allergies and finally the vet and I decided to pull some bad teeth to see if that would help. Today she was diagnosed with pneumonia in one lung. The vet kept her through the day and then sent us home with the following prescription: furosemide and orbax. she just started taking diazepam for her seizures yesterday when I popped in to pick up some food for her on the way to work because of her history and the fact that she started having them again over the weekend (it used to be about 1 every 6 months to a year then they seemed to go away or she had them when we weren't home).

My question is this: Can my other dog Jacob (4 year old hound mix) catch Sassy's pneumonia? I have been trying to keep them apart because she is easily agitated with him lately but I didn't know if I truly needed to keep him away. I have been letting him sleep with us and he would be in the same room just not real close. Sometimes I would let him sit on one side of me while she slept on the other side of me when I watch tv. I didn't know if I needed to keep them out of the same room? I try to keep Sassy close to her bed because she is weak. I was so panicked about getting her to the vet and finding out the cause that I forgot to ask about the risk for Jacob. I am going to call in the morning but I didn't know if anyone could give me advice for the night.
Suzette

Re: pneumonia in my senior dog

Post by Suzette »

Hi, I just saw your post this morning, so I'm sure you've already contacted your vet to get the info you need. So I'll just say that I hope your Sassy is soon on the mend and feeling better. :)
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Sarithe

Re: pneumonia in my senior dog

Post by Sarithe »

thank you...I did call and they said that Jacob should be fine. That Sassy is not contagious. She did say though that she wanted Sassy as quiet as possible and no rough housing which is fine because Sassy makes the big boy cry. I keep a close eye on them anyways because is a little terror towards him sometimes.