GSD Not sitting right

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kimberly Ward

GSD Not sitting right

Post by Kimberly Ward »

Ive noticed that my GSD sits at an unusual angle. When ive tried to teach him 'shake' he ends up slipping to laying down like he cant keep his balance. He also still pees like a little girl. Could these be signs of the health issues that GSD suffer from? Other than this he seem completly healthly and full of energy.
There is no such thing as a bad dog, just ignorant owners.
Nettle

Re: GSD Not sitting right

Post by Nettle »

Next time you are at your vet, get his hips checked out. It's a rare GSD that doesn't have hip issues. Many large breed male dogs pee standing like horses, but are you saying yours crouches? This isn't uncommon before puberty. How old is he and is he entire?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Also, are you on slippery floor or carpet? While Opal can sit on slippery floor, if she shifts her weight she starts moving backwards and has to compensate...same with well, all the dogs I know. On a carpet, it's much easier for them to sit and shake.

I'd definitely second the hip check, either way.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Kimberly Ward

Post by Kimberly Ward »

He still squats a little bit and hes about a year old now.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Have you vet check his hips, as Nettle has said. As for squatting when he goes to pee, chances are that he hasn't seen another adult male lift his leg to pee. Take your dog out more often and let him see another male dog pee, then he'll get the idea. :wink:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Kimberly Ward

Post by Kimberly Ward »

Hes only seen one other male dog pee but im sure seeing more would help him.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

My parents had a male GSD who never lifted his leg and always squatted, so if his hips check out OK that's probably not something to worry about. Jasper at 21 months still squats sometimes and if he does lift his leg, sometimes his paw is only a few inches off the ground.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

The malamute I walk doesn't often lift his leg...he just "parks out" like a Tennessee Walking Horse when he pees. x3
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Sarithe

Post by Sarithe »

I don't know about the hip thing but I would get his hips checked.

The peeing thing though is something my Jacob does (100+ lb hound mix). He is 4 now but he didn't hike his leg until he was 2. He chose to do it on my mom's Christmas igloo. I was so proud (not about the igloo but about his hiking...lol). My mom fortunately was the one walking him at the time so it made everything okay since she was in control of him (and I honestly think she felt like a proud grandma when he learned to do this...I think we are a weird family). He still pees standing like a horse. He doesn't squat. The only time he will hike his leg is when we go for a walk and he finds a bush he likes. The poor boy can't hit anything so he does have bad aim but my vet said that it wasn't unusual for big dogs to not hike when they go potty.
Kimberly Ward

Post by Kimberly Ward »

Yay! Thor hicked a leg for the first time yesterday when i took him for a walk. Im so proud and shocked. Guess i just needed to post on the forum lol
Galadrielle

Post by Galadrielle »

Glad Thor is now peeing like the boy we always knew he was! LOL! I was just about to say beware of HD (hip dyslpasia) in GSD's. That can make them pee like a girl, sit oddly and also 'bunny-hop' whilst running instead of the canter or gallop.

Hugs
Galadrielle
x