Raw food supplies

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

vass1974

Post by vass1974 »

Lucky-puppy,
You say that you feed your cat a raw diet. How much meat do you give? I have a weird cat that won't eat meat, and I'm worried that he isn't getting everything he needs. He will only eat dry cat food, fruits and vegetables. I've always heard that citrus smells made cats nautious, but he loves them. He gets hairballs easily, so the dry is Meowmix Hairball formula. It helps, but he still gets them at least a couple times a week. Any advice?

I know this is a dog forum, but I thought I'd ask since some of you have cats too.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Pets at Home near me seem to have a lot of the dinners and the mince but have gone a bit further and found chicken wings and chunks at another store x
lucky_puppy

Post by lucky_puppy »

Vass1974:

My cat doesn't like raw all that much. That's why she gets both raw and cooked meals. I've discovered that if I make up a batch of raw food and freeze that way, soaking it in a plastic bag in boiling water for 5 - 10 minutes cooks it enough so that she'll eat it. My cat also loves taurine and sprinkling it with a bit of taurine powder supplement makes it more palatable. She eats about 6 to 8 ounces a day. Most cats only eat 4 to 6, but she goes outside most days and occasionally mouses, so she gets much more exercise than the typical indoor cat.

I would suggest visiting a few raw feeding sites:

catnutrition.org
Cat Info
Feline Nutrition

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not on here everyday. You can pm if you have more cat questions or comments.
vass1974

Post by vass1974 »

Thanks for the tips and links. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I've been fighting a cold. The links were very helpful.
karimd

Post by karimd »

I am new to start feeding raw food to my pets really. For the fruit and veggies are the skins bad for them like apple akins and stuff like that or are certain ones ok and certain ones bad? And is garlic ok for them to get?
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

They can have skins.

Garlic - the jury's out on garlic. A very little seems okay, but not every day (unless being used medically) and definitely not lots.

Onions, grapes, raisins and chocolate are all very toxic to dogs.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
Fab_lab

Post by Fab_lab »

how many bones per week should a dog have ?

and should you us herbs ?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You can use herbs if you wish, and there is no ideal number of bones - just give what you find convenient, cut down if dogs starts to look porky and give more if they start to look thin.
Fab_lab

Post by Fab_lab »

the dogs seem to enjoy their food more now its raw .. there is less poo which is good . and I feel happy as I know what my dogs are eatting ...
Angela

Post by Angela »

Just caught up with this thread and I use Durham Animal Feeds (just google it for the link) and can recommend them. My two Dobes are nearly 100% raw and his products are good quality and value for money :wink: