Dog about to be spayed

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lulu4422

Dog about to be spayed

Post by lulu4422 »

Hi everybody!

My APBT is going to be spayed next week! I followed everyone's advice on this board and waited for her to mature a bit before having the surgery, and I'm taking her to a really good vet (who is so popular that we had to wait for 3 months for an appointment... hope that means she's the best around!). Anyway, I'm really nervous because surgery is a pretty big deal, so I was wondering if anyone had any extra advice for preparations to take before and after her surgery? I'm sure the vet will give me instructions when we get there, but anything extra would also be very welcome. Thanks so much and have a great day to whomever reads this!

-Sarah and Kendra (the APBT)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I give my bitches arnica 30 for a few days before they are spayed and continue it for about a week after. Arnica will help with the bleeding and pain.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I was going to say use arnica as well. Great stuff.
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

Very best wishes for everything to go well :)

My ***** was spayed about 3 months ago.

Physically she was fine, but she was quite mentally disorientated by the anaesthetic e.g. asking to go out for a wee and then forgetting why she was outside, looking around the room as if unsure where she was. It was almost 48hrs before she seemed mentally 'sharp'. That was the worst part, waiting for her to come back down to earth mentally.

She was ready for a tottery 100yd walk on the second day and built up from there. I was advised not to let her jump (up the stairs, into the car etc) for 4 weeks and that, combined with steady lead walking, kept her general fitness up without taking risks with the stitches.

She hated the big plastic collar supplied by the vet so she wore an old vest to cover the wound at night. During the day she left the stitches alone anyway.

That's all I can think of atm :) Good luck!
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Maia bounced right back But like us it took a while for her hormones to adjust. She was a bit nippy with the boys but other than that we took short walks without the boys and just let her alone if she wanted.

Just making sure your girl is healthy is the best you can do for her. Most girls do well, just keep watch on the incision. She might not want to eat right away. It takes time for the meds to get out of her system.

If you see any unusual redness or pus, get her back to the vet.
The best days are spent with my dogs.