Need toy recommendations for smart puppy

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jaydenh

Need toy recommendations for smart puppy

Post by jaydenh »

Hi all,

I've got a very smart, very food motivated, three-month-old puppy, and I need some ideas for toys to keep him occupied in his pen while I'm working (I work from home). He loves food puzzles -- I give him his meals in a simple rolling one and I've ordered a Buster minicube for when he outgrows that one -- he also has one of those puzzles where he has to move the pieces to find bits of food, which he whips through in no time. He also loves stuffed squeaky toys -- he's a terrier and likes to murder them. He gets plenty of attention and exercise (not to mention puppy socialization class once a week and lots of short training sessions throughout the day), but the only space I have that's big enough to accommodate his pen is next to my work desk, so he really needs to be kept engaged (until he's ready to nap) or he just whines at me. He has a bully stick in there as well -- he goes through about one a week.

I saw plenty of options on the Internet for harder food puzzles and different kinds of pull-apart toys, but I wondered if anyone had any specific recommendations. He does have a Kong, but I keep that for his crate and freeze it with peanut butter when I need to be away for more than an hour or two. He's VERY well behaved in his crate (he can't see my desk from it), and I do put him in there for short periods from time to time when I need to really focus on work, but I don't want to do that often because I don't want him to develop any negative connotations with the crate. Ideally, I'd like to identify three or four good toys I can rotate in when he gets really antsy.

Any recommendations? Any toys I should definitely stay away from?

Jayden
misskris

Re: Need toy recommendations for smart puppy

Post by misskris »

my doggie is pretty intelligent as well and VERY destructive if she isn't challenged mentally...Some things that I do that help:

- Give her half her meals in feeder toys (kong and squirrel dude - super good, cheap toy by premier) I got them both on amazon.com
- IQ treat ball; I sometimes put part of her meal in here too. only thing is that it's LOUD so if you have carpet, it works best. Good thing about this is that you can make it easier to start then progressively harder as they figure it out faster and faster.

I also like Kyjen brand toys. They are expensive, but they are pretty tough. daisy is a powerful chewer going through teething right now and she's had her Kyjen toys for a while. She is able to chew through some seams, but overall, it's held up pretty well.

hope it helps!
amazon.com + interactive dog toys in the search engine = TONS of reading material. LOL. :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Safe things to rip up - big whole green vegetables eg cabbage, cauliflower, big cardboard boxes (no staples) filled with screwed-up bits of paper, some of which have a piece of kibble hidden in (as pup gets better at destroying the box you can seal down the box lid to make the game more difficult) cardboard inner tubes from loo and kitchen rolls with a piece of kibble hidden in screwed-up paper packed inside, plastic bottle with one piece of kibble in to rattle around and get it out, old fleeces cut into strips, plaited and knotted, for rippy tuggies, big piece of deer antler to chew on....
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Old muffin tin with a tennis ball covering the food bit in each muffin cup.... several boxes nested inside each other with the tidbit inside crumpled paper, inside the innermost box.... empty oatmeal/cereal boxes/canisters.... plastic coffee canister, with lid-- cut a small hole in the center of the lid, although he may be tenacious enough to pry the lid off himself, like my Annie does. Empty egg carton with bits in the egg cups, lid closed. He can roll the carton around, or pick it up and throw it to get the bits to fall out of the little slits in the carton, or he may figure out how to open the carton, or he may just shred it.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
misskris

Post by misskris »

hmmm. i like both your suggestions much better. SO much cheaper! LOL :D
RedHughes

Post by RedHughes »

Tug-A-Jug. One of the best toys we've bought. You can fill it up and Puppy with play with it FOREVER. Red loves it and plays with it even if there isn't any food in it because it still smells like food and he loves the rope toy. I put a variety of treats and food in it so the toy changes all the time and keeps his attention. Plus, I put a few (no more than two or three) larger treats which won't fit through the opening, which helps keep him coming back. The treats will eventually break down to a point where they do fit, so you will have to replace them, but it helps the longivity of the toy without filling the belly; especially once Puppy figures out how to "work" the toy.

I'm on the "New Toy Hunt" myself as Red will play with the Tug-a-Jug until its pretty much empty and blows through the puzzle we have for him in about 30 seconds.

Hope this helps!

~M