PUPPY ROUGH PLAY

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BienChien

PUPPY ROUGH PLAY

Post by BienChien »

My little pup (8 weeks) has a burst of playful energy and will grab hold of our clothes, growl and tug at them. As soon as I get him off, he comes straight back in attack mode and re-attaches himself.

What can we do that will stop him when he is in this mood? I don't want to get things wrong at this early stage. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
agilitypassion92

distracting

Post by agilitypassion92 »

it seems to me that your puppy very much enjoys tugging and playing roughly with things that he finds enticing what i might try is as soon as you see him getting into this mode snatch the clothes away and put them out of reach asap...make sure you have a really fun and great looking tuggy toy nearby and put that in front of him if he grabs that reward him and praise like crazy that way he will see that tugs are awesome and when he grabs them he makes you happy

if he does not grab the tug put it in front of him a few more times to attempt him playing with it... if he simply ignores you then ignore his whining you'll show him that dogs that whine for things they cannot have will not be tolerated and once he comes to play with you and responsibly chooses the toy you deem appropriate reward him

its all about trying to get him to drop whatever you dont deem a good chewing and taking what you give him and him being happy with what he gets if you do notice him playing with an appropriate toy join in the game and make sure he knows what a good pup hes being the more reward he gets while doing the right thing the less likely he will be to do something naughty

i hope that helps =)
BienChien

Post by BienChien »

Thank you Agilitypassion92 for your response. I have to admit that although I have bought some chew toys, I haven't got him a tuggy toy but I shall rectify that. Hopefully, as you say, this will resolve the issue. It is his favourite game at the moment and I don't want to start on a negative with him. (I've only had him a week and he is only 8 weeks old).

Just one quick question, is it okay to give him a carrot to chew on?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Raw carrots, cabbage, cauliflower etc all make great chew toys but don't give whole sprouts as there is potential for choking, nor maize on the cob as this can cause blockages if swallowed in lumps.
BienChien

Post by BienChien »

I bought a tuggy toy which he adores, but he still goes hammer and tongs for us! Time and effort needed here.

I also gave him a carrot which he was very wary of. Strange isn't it how they will pick up things they shouldn't but not the healthy stuff!
agilitypassion92

Post by agilitypassion92 »

thats great! glad he adores his new tuggy =) especially pups always have so much fun with them just remember hes only 8 weeks old and still such a puppy with lots of time patience and hard work it will pay off he will definitely learn a lot keep me posted!
SammiesMom

Post by SammiesMom »

My pup is 16 weeks old (Jap Chin) and I give him small carrot sticks once or twice a day. I do this because he is teething and the cold feels good on his gums and the carrots are good for his eyes too :) I do have a question though... sometimes I think he gets a "sugar rush" from them? He will get wild ! he starts running and going crazy for about 5 minutes and I cannot get control of him..is this normal behaviour for a pup to have these bursts of energy or maybe is it the sugar from the carrots? I take him for walks twice a day and I take him out to ptty about every 2-3 hours so I think he gets plenty of exercise.
SammiesMom

Post by SammiesMom »

My pup is 16 weeks old (Jap Chin) and I give him small carrot sticks once or twice a day. I do this because he is teething and the cold feels good on his gums and the carrots are good for his eyes too :) I do have a question though... sometimes I think he gets a "sugar rush" from them? He will get wild ! he starts running and going crazy for about 5 minutes and I cannot get control of him..is this normal behaviour for a pup to have these bursts of energy or maybe is it the sugar from the carrots? I take him for walks twice a day and I take him out to ptty about every 2-3 hours so I think he gets plenty of exercise.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Try with something else, and if you don't get the same response, then you are right. Sugar rush is unusual, but might happen. The 5-minute go-mad session is perfectly normal for pups though! :D

2-3 hours is a long time for a pup of that age to wait to go potty. Can you manage more frequently?