Martingale collar

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sas978

Martingale collar

Post by sas978 »

Hi,
We have a 12 week old lab pup. Wondering if this is a useful collar for puppies or if it is only for grown dogs. I have only seen it used on grown dogs that have a problem with leash pulling, but didn't know if it is a good way to leash train a pup.
Thanks in advance!
S
Wes

Re: Martingale collar

Post by Wes »

No collar or harness is going to teach a dog to walk on a loose leash. Have a peek at the Articles section of the forum for Mattie' Loose Leash Walking thread and go from there.

As for the martingale, I used one on my APBT because she had a tendency to slip out of a regular collar. I currently use on on my doberman for the same reason (he has a very narrow head!). It's not meant to be a correction collar, but I see too many folks using them in place of choke chains, which are terrible. :(
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

All collars can damage a dog/pups neck if they are allowed to pull so you are right to try and do something about it. There isn't a gadget on the market that will teach your dog not to pull although many claim to, most make the dog uncomfortable when they pull but if it isn't on the dog they continue to pull. Only training will stop a dog from pulling.

If you go to viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858 it will help you teach your pup not to pull.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emcn916

Post by emcn916 »

We use martingale collars on the dogs at the shelter where I volunteer. They are not used to stop pulling, it is used so a dog cannot slip his collar. For dogs who come in and pull, we use Sens-ible harnesses. They hook on the front of the dog so when they start to pull it will turn them to the side a bit which stops the pulling. We hook the leash not only to the harness ring but also to the martingale collar because with so many different dogs using the same harnesses, they are rarely fitted exactly right and if a dog slips the harness they will still be attached to the collar. I also use them on two of my dogs at home and love them. You can buy them online, just google sensible harness.
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

emcn916 wrote:We use martingale collars on the dogs at the shelter where I volunteer. They are not used to stop pulling, it is used so a dog cannot slip his collar..
A martingale collar is especially good for breeds like Dobermans, who have long, tapering necks.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!