I am devastated and need help.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Gordiesmom

Re: I am devastated and need help.

Post by Gordiesmom »

So glad you are feeling better and more confident. I at times am overwhelmed with my heard as I call them. Our golden is 75 lbs, and our new baby is only 6 mnths but already a 45 lb Belgian with a mind of his own. Add our three rescued cats to the mix and I feel like I live in animal planet. The cats are actually like dogs more than cats. This site has been wonderful for me to train my Belgian as he is proving to be more of a challenge than our Golden.
overambitious

Post by overambitious »

Thanks Gordies mom. I actually go up and down. Yesterday I felt confident. Today not so much. I guess like them, I will have my ups and downs with this whole process. Thank you for your kind words. I will post updates and keep reading others stories. :)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ups and downs...all part of the process. it feels a lot more overwhelming when your just starting out if these are your first reactive dogs. BUT as you learn more, get more experience, start to read your dogs and anticipate what will trigger them etc, it will get easier.

hang in there, keep in touch, ask questions, vent whatever you need. we are all here for you.
overambitious

Post by overambitious »

I haven't been hearing too much good news. Your house is way to small (already knew that), 3 big dogs (80, 80 and 60 pounds) American Bulldogs to boot, is way too much for an inexperienced person (I already knew that too.). The reactive doggie is the oldest one and unfortunately the younger ones feed off that. Layla, my oldest, she had formal training when she was a pup and was great, until something spooked her I guess and since then she has been a bit difficult. Bubba, the 11 1/2 month old, well he is by far the smartest and most eager to learn, please, get treats etc. Little Mama is eager as well. I keep thinking about how I messed up and now they have to wear muzzles when out in public and they have a "count" against them and if something were to happen again they would be doomed. I realize it is all about behavior modification and you can train them to react differently but they won't be model citizens since the incident?? At least that is what I am hearing. I am also worried that the other party is going to sue me as he hasn't sent me the vet bill, which I said I would pay. All these horrible things are racing through my mind. :( I doubt anyone on here has had the same type of incident as I have. :( Emmabeth told me to read your posts Jacksdad and I started last night but I have to find the beginning. I am trying to navigate around. Thank you for your post.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You wouldn't believe the incidents some of us have had. But we've come through, and so will you. Anything that can't be trained can still be managed.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
overambitious

Post by overambitious »

Thank you Nettle. It helps to hear that. I will post the trainers "report" that she is going to send me. I know she is advocating that I rehome at least 1 and maybe 2 of them. But I really want to do that as a last resort even if people say it is a nightmare etc.
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

Big HUGS for you! It can't be easy alone, not the same but I raised my six kids alone in a small home and nobody told me to rehome them. Keep your chin up things will improve.
overambitious

Post by overambitious »

Thanks Gordiesmom. I got the report from the trainer. It wasn't as bad as I thought. She did say it could take years of work. But I say, all I have is time! I am not a social butterfly and I am tenacious so I am determined. I am going to a hearing as I just don't think it is fair to label them FOR LIFE as potentially dangerous dogs. Shouldn't they be given a chance to improve with training and then be judged?? I should be the one to take the licks and I am. But, I am also going to do everything in my power them "good citizens" in the eyes of the public. Thank you for your kind words. I will post progress reports and keep on reading the forums. There is soooo much information and you can never learn too much in my opinion. :)
horza

Post by horza »

Hi

Just wondering if you've read the clicker training thread in the articles section? (i would put a link but not sure how)

i got a clicker when i got my puppy at christmas, she LOVES it and so does my older dog. you mentioned that your dogs are very food motivated, so clicker training is fairly easy,(one of mine i use food the other uses a tennis ball) i love it and so do my dogs. it is really easy to do, and you only need to do 3 or 4 minutes with each dog.

the main problem i had at first was where to put the other dog, but now the dog that is not working is in another room with a frozen kong. then when trainings done the kong goes back in the freezer for later, (just make sure your dog is ok with you taking it off them, i do the training, then normally let them graden, and throw a toy for them to chase, i can then leave them outside while i collect the kongs)

Good Luck
overambitious

Post by overambitious »

Horza: My trainer has asked if I would be open to try clicker training. And, yes, I am up for anything. I watched a small snip-it of Victoria using it as well. I will wait until the trainer has me start. I don't want to get too overwhelmed. I love this forum, it has so much information. I did purchase more kongs!
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

Invest in a Comfort Zone plug in. They run about 35 but the refills are usually around 15 and last from 4 to 5 weeks. If Layla is showing signs of stress this should help her greatly as well as help the pups. I love this product for both dogs and cats. I've had great success. I used it when we brought Gordie home at 8 weeks old and I never whined once in the night in his crate. The phermones it secretes are soothing to them. Also humans can't smell it.
overambitious

Post by overambitious »

Interesting, Comfort Zone?? It's worth a try! Thanks Gordiesmom. I have been doing trainine, like getting them to focus on me and not the treat. They are so smart it just boggles my mind. It doesn't take them long to figure out what I am asking them to do. I know they will have their good days and stubborn days, but that is all part of the process. I feel a bit better as now I feel like I at least have a starting point with all of them, even if it is from square one. When I trained Layla as a puppy I think she went to class, once a week for 6 weeks and she still remembers her training, bullies are just stubborn and if she doesn't feel like doing something, it takes a bit more coaxing....maybe with a meatball instead of a piece of cheese.
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

Let me know how it works for you. I have had HUGE success with the Cat version to stop my male cat from peeing on things and it brought down his anxiety. Same with my puppy. I know a friend that used it for her dogs, she had 3, and the older one became very anxious when she brought the new puppies home. After almost a year she finally tried it and it greatly helped the stress level of the older dog as well as the pups. It secrets the same phermone as a nursing mother. Sort of like playing womb sounds for babies. You won't regret it. And it can't hurt if it doesn't work. I am thinking it may make your time at home with them a little calmer.
overambitious

Post by overambitious »

Layla and Bubba had meetings with a demo dog and it actually went great. Layla did very well. Bubba is a little fearful, but he never got to get out when he was young so he will come around. Little Mama will get her test later. I was so proud of Layla, she is really a great girl. And every one of them is smart, although I think Bubba is the most eager to learn. I will continue to work with them if it takes me the rest of my life!! I am the one who needs the training, not them. I purchased Through A Dog's Ear to see if the calming music will help at home. I am also going to try Comfort Zone plug in. I will try anything once. Thanks for your support everyone!
overambitious

Post by overambitious »

Started clicker training with Layla and Bubba, they do very well with it. Mama on the other hand is scared of the noise. I did about 10 clicks with her and on the 11th she looked at me and ran off into the yard. Hm. So as not to scare her I am just using treats with her until I meet with the trainer again. I love working with them as they are so smart. I bet everyone says that about their "kids". I will continue going through the site for others stories as well. I am just glad this site was here. I know my kids are good, they are just a bit unruly. Sounds like me when I was a kid!! Go figure!! Thank you to all xoxo.