I need some help!!!

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bobby

I need some help!!!

Post by bobby »

hey :D
A couple of weeks ago I watched an episode of It's me or the dog, about Linda and Caesar Calangelo and their dogs Molly and Alfie.I fell totally in love with the dogs but I cant seem to figure out what kind they are. On the site of the channel that airs the show here in norway(I'm Norwegian btw :wink: ) they wrote that they were two different breeds. I looked it up, but those dogs did not look like Molly and/or Alfie at all...So...the question is; What kind are Molly and Alfie???
I really really want to know :D

I love the show by the way! I've learnt alot of useful things!
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

OK well here's my best guess...I've never seen the episode so I googled "Victoria Stilwell Calangelo" and got this page: http://www.tvnorge.no/programportaler/i ... om/4550731

But unfortunately I don't speak or even know what language that is but this sentence: Molly er en belgisk fårehund

Sounded a lot like "Molly is a *dog breed*" so I googled belgisk fårehund and he looks like a Belgian Tervueren although some of the pictures looked like Belgian Malinois so I'm not sure which they are meaning.

I googled what it said Alfie is but nothing is showing up...The best I can get is some Nordic breed (Husky, Samoyed etc.). Oh and the Language is Swedish(I've been looking into this for the past 20 minutes lol, I can officially say dog in Swedish). Can you describe what he looked like?

So did Molly look like this (Malinois) Image

Or this (Tervuren): Image
(they don't always have as much coat as this dog, Riot, does because he's a show dog and therefore show groomed)

Also remember Malinois can be all black and Tervurens can have more black than Riot does.
bobby

hm:)

Post by bobby »

Well actually it is norwegian...its the same page i found, and did not help me very much...

They said that Molly and alfie were two different breeds, but they looked as they were the same type.

Uhm, they were both grey and black...Almost like a wolf...Imagine a beglian sheperd(tervuren) crossed with a long haired german sheperd.
And they were both large...like a big german shepperd.
I don't know how else to put it....they could have been some kind of a cross between a husky/alaska malamut/german sheperd/tevuren...Basicly the looked like two very cute/beautyful wolves...
cindaven

Post by cindaven »

Molly is a belgian shepherd and alphie is an alaskan inuit... I think. some type of inuit. does anyone remember the harness that she told them to use? the one where she strapped them in and the dogs pulled thier owners on a run?
northernidiot

Post by northernidiot »

Hi Bobby

I've only just seen the episode you mentioned on UK TV. The second dog on the show was a "Northern Inuit Dog".

I have one of these dogs and my 10 month old, Denver looks very much like the one on the show but his behavior is *much* better.

The NI breed is only about 25 years old. With the objective of making a family friendly dog with the appearance of a Wolf, it originates from cross-breeding a mix of Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky and German Shepherd dogs.

Nowadays, they're bred purely NI to NI. Another breed of similar origin is the Utonagan (or Ute).

There are very few NI dogs outside the UK as this is where the breeding program began. AFAIK, NI dogs are currently only bred in the UK and Ireland.

There are currently only a few known NI dogs in the US (to my knowledge), to different owners and both (fairly recently) obtained their pups from UK breeders and had them shipped over.

My Flickr page has plenty of photos of Denver if you'd care to take a look:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24237155@N ... 006916427/

One of my other sets has photos of his daycare buddies, Tula and Rudi (Both Alaskan Malamutes). Feel free to browse!

If you'd like more information on the breed, the "Northern Inuit Society" forum is a good starting point but you'll need to register to view the "Your NI Pictures" area:
http://nisociety.proboards83.com/index.cgi

I hope this helps.

I was first attracted to NI Dogs because of their fantastic look and gentle nature.

Each day, the feeling is reinforced that I made the perfect choice of pet for my family. Denver attracts regular attention from dog-lovers who often comment on how unusual, handsome and well behaved he is, especially around children and other dogs.

Whilst a lot of his gentle traits can be attributed to his breed, most of this is down to regular training and socialization.

Denver's been at training and socialization classes from the age of 14 weeks and gets plenty of exercise from daycare and regular walks. His attitude is nothing like the one featured on the show although, without his head collar he can still pull sometimes - This has improved quite dramatically, just in the last few weeks alone!

He's snoozing at my feet as I type this after a hard day, playing with his pals at daycare!

Regards
Mark
northernidiot

Post by northernidiot »

cindaven wrote:Molly is a belgian shepherd and alphie is an alaskan inuit... I think. some type of inuit. does anyone remember the harness that she told them to use? the one where she strapped them in and the dogs pulled thier owners on a run?
The harness is a Cani-Cross harness and I found it quite Victoria's exercise recommendation quite appropriate as an NI dog won the newly created Women's Cani-Cross event at Crufts this year:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... 1&bbcws=1#

(Not a bad win for an NI considering NI Dogs are not currently recognised as a "breed" by either the UK Kennel Club or by Crufts!)
griffin

Post by griffin »

Northern, those are simply beautiful dogs. I have a Sheppard/Lab mix and we are thinking of getting another dog in a year or so... After seeing and reading about the NI, they would be my first choice, though we are in the US...Do you know of a breeder here? Getting one from across the pond would be well, not feasible..
northernidiot

Post by northernidiot »

AFAIK there are no breeders outside the UK yet.

The first girl to take one to the states is in Utah, I believe.

She goes by the name of Rachelle on the NI Society site I linked above. If you contact her, she'll probably be pleased to help. (She gave advice to another girl from your side of the Atlantic to help her get an NI across).

Regards
Mark