The Furminator?

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

leslie123

Re: The Furminator?

Post by leslie123 »

The furminator arrived today and it works great! We ended up with a nice big tennis ball sized wad of fur after only a 5 min use. Looks and feels like an oversized cotton ball. I'd say to anyone getting this for the first time be sure to read the instructions carefully. :)
Celia

Post by Celia »

I have been using furminator for my cat and lately for my dog too. I have to say that my friend has something similar, but not the furminator, and it works just fine too, and she paid only 7 euros for it. Still, I have the furminator and love it. Should maybe get a bigger one for my dog though.

Post by Blappy1215 »

:D I love mine I can't use it on my dog because he is a shih tzu and the directions say it should not be used on dogs that do not shed, but it has been a god-send for my cat!!! In use it a least once a week on him I swear we pull enough fur off him to make blanket and my sofa is somewhat fur free... :D
"Don't worry honey right after the dog, your number one."
Elaine
MissCarla

Post by MissCarla »

The Furminator is incredible, but very pricey. If you live near a CVS, they sell a generic version for around ten dollars.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I love them....the new 2011 version is a lot better than the oldr one as there is an eject button that you can use to get rid of fur while still holding onto the dog with the other hand.

The old style is still great though....and now the new version has come out you can get the older ones really cheap on ebay.....from about £5!
SmallBarkBigBite

Post by SmallBarkBigBite »

I have the new Furminator and I'm seriously impressed. I have tried all sorts of methods and products over the years. This time around I really needed help, I have a Belgian Malinois who sheds like it's his day job. Beautiful coat, didn't want to "strip" it so to speak. I was hesitant at buying something that costly that might have been as useless as all the other tools I'd purchased in the past. One day I helped a lady from church groom her assistance dog. She needed him brushed out and bathed. He is a Golden Retriever and she handed me her Furminator and let me go to town. I was so impressed, that next week I went out an bought one... truly worth the price I paid. This one's not a gimmick. I think if used properly on the right type of coat, it's absolutely amazing!
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

bmbutler wrote:
josie1918 wrote:
I know exactly what you are saying. Misty's hair can be everywhere and I want to pick up my house and shake it out. :lol:

Use this or a shedding blade outside, especially in the spring when the local wildlife are building nests. 8)
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Logansmum

Post by Logansmum »

I have one of these, and its fantastic on my labs coat, but the boxers coat is better with a rubber curry comb. His coat is very thin and fine, and the furminator cant get a decent purchase on it. But, for the lab, i love it!! :wink:
Andrea and Logan xx
snapper281

Post by snapper281 »

My mother-in-law has a pug that sheds like you would not believe! She bought one and used it and I can tell a massive difference. She still sheds but nowhere near as bad! I would recommend it!
Cheers,
Alicia

doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

i didn't like the Furminator. i think it takes out to much hair. i use
an undercoat comb and a pin brush. i comb in all directions with
the undercoat comb. i don't use the undercoat underneath my dog,
on his head or legs. i use the pin brush for those areas. i brush
my dog 3 to 4 times a week usuing the undercoat and pin brush.