Housetraining continued.

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chorbs

Housetraining continued.

Post by chorbs »

But actually, since I'm just back from a 1 week vacation, I'm considering it starting all over again.

Jamie is almost 4 ms old. She is gated in the mud room all night; she does not potty in the mud room. My hub lets her out when he gets up, she poops and pees, he's sweet on her, then she's put back in the mudroom until someone else gets up. When they get up they do the same thing with her. After she's gone outside she's allowed in the house with everyone knowing they are supposed to keep a good eye on her. But of course I"m a typical busy housekeeper and mom and can't have my eye on her every second; I'm in the laundry, into the kitchen, back to the laundry room, upstairs, back down, etc. And I swear, even though she was just outside already 2x's this morning, I no sooner turn around than she has peed on the kitchen floor.

I clean it up, put her leash on her, tell her "outside", take her out to the yard and tell her "go potty outside". Unforunately, even though I stay out there with her 5-10 mins she usuallly doesn't go because she just went in the house !!

So, so far, am I not to be letting her into the kitchen or the rest of the house until she is housetrained? I feel so bad for her then, out in the mudroom all day mostly by herself plus she just sits out there and whines :o( (pple stop here & there and pay attention to her but not like if she's in the house all day.) Am I seriously supposed to stay out there with her until she DOES go? I mean gosh, that could be 1/2 hr; 1/2 hr every 1.5 hrs? That's a lot of time !

I've read (Humane Society) that she should be able to 'hold it' 1 hr per month of age = 2 months, 2 hours. Well no way lolol !!! Even at 4 months she seems to be going at least every hour. I mean, I take her out, she goes, 1/2 - 1 hr later she's going again, in the kitchen. I read over and over again the 'how to/not to's' and just keep feeling like I"m getting nowhere. If it takes 2 months to train her, does she literally just lay in my mudroom for 2 months (other than walks, lil attention here and there?)
Nettle

Re: Housetraining continued.

Post by Nettle »

I wouldn't expect a four monther to hold on that long, and while I can so empathise with busy Momness, I wouldn't expect her to be left shut away and be happy about it - nor would you with a year-old child. Thank you for coming here to find a better way :)

Have a read through our pinned thread on potty-training, which will tell you all about successful training, and come back with your questions. Tell us all about your puppy's average day - we love long posts, and we need to know how she is expected to live with the rest of you.

You have taken on a 'baby' and she will need a lot of time and attention. If the family won't help, I'm afraid it's all down to you.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

chorbs wrote:But actually, since I'm just back from a 1 week vacation, I'm considering it starting all over again.
Good, set aside the time to do this, be really consistant and she will learn to toilet outside.
Jamie is almost 4 ms old. She is gated in the mud room all night; she does not potty in the mud room. My hub lets her out when he gets up, she poops and pees, he's sweet on her, then she's put back in the mudroom until someone else gets up. When they get up they do the same thing with her. After she's gone outside she's allowed in the house with everyone knowing they are supposed to keep a good eye on her. But of course I"m a typical busy housekeeper and mom and can't have my eye on her every second; I'm in the laundry, into the kitchen, back to the laundry room, upstairs, back down, etc. And I swear, even though she was just outside already 2x's this morning, I no sooner turn around than she has peed on the kitchen floor.
I do understand being a busy mum etc but to rely on others to watch her won't work, I used to be in your position and found that the rest of the family never bothered about what the dog was doing if they were doing something else. Set an alarm clock to go off every 45 minutes when it goes off take her outside to toilet, lots of praise when she does it. Also take note of the times she is going in the house and get her outside before she does it. If your family object because you are behind tough, if they had done as you asked originally you wouldn't be behind. I am sure they can do more for themselves anyway if they wanted to but prefer to leave it to mum.
I clean it up, put her leash on her, tell her "outside", take her out to the yard and tell her "go potty outside". Unforunately, even though I stay out there with her 5-10 mins she usuallly doesn't go because she just went in the house !!
No point as you have found out, she has already emptied her tanks, wait 45 minutes then take her out, if she goes more often wait 30 minutes.
So, so far, am I not to be letting her into the kitchen or the rest of the house until she is housetrained? I feel so bad for her then, out in the mudroom all day mostly by herself plus she just sits out there and whines :o( (pple stop here & there and pay attention to her but not like if she's in the house all day.) Am I seriously supposed to stay out there with her until she DOES go? I mean gosh, that could be 1/2 hr; 1/2 hr every 1.5 hrs? That's a lot of time !
While she is in the mud room by herself she is missing out on some very valuable learning time, at the moment she is a spong for learning but can't because she is in the mud room. She is also very lonely in there on her own, she doesn't understand that she needs to toilet outside first.

When you take her out just wait about 4 or 5 minutes then back in again, if she is inclided to go when you come in turn round and back out again. Pups do a double pee so if she does go outside wait to see if another is coming.
I've read (Humane Society) that she should be able to 'hold it' 1 hr per month of age = 2 months, 2 hours. Well no way lolol !!! Even at 4 months she seems to be going at least every hour. I mean, I take her out, she goes, 1/2 - 1 hr later she's going again, in the kitchen. I read over and over again the 'how to/not to's' and just keep feeling like I"m getting nowhere. If it takes 2 months to train her, does she literally just lay in my mudroom for 2 months (other than walks, lil attention here and there?)
That could be for pups that are toilet trained, your's isn't, it is also a long time for a pup to hold it at that age. She is still a baby and needs to be treated as a baby.

You need to set aside a week so that you can concentrate on this, this will give both of you a good start and at the end of a very consistant week she may only have accidents rarely. The more time and consistancy you give her now will last her the rest of her life. Are you following the advice given in that toilet training thread? It does work, far to many dogs have been taught to be toilet trained with that method for it to be considered not to work.

Only you can teach her, we can advise until doomsday but we can't do the work. Set an alarm clock for every 45 minutes and take her out no matter what you are doing, the more consistant you are the quicker she will learn. If you finish what you are doing it will take a lot longer for her to learn. Think back to when you were toilet training your children, the more consistant you were with them the quicker they learnt, same with your pup.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
chorbs

Post by chorbs »

BRIAN10 wrote:She was found in her bathtub and her two sons were found in the bathtub in another room. Their deaths resulted from a combination of strangulation and suffocation by drowning.

Huh ?

unsolved murders

Huh??
minkee

Post by minkee »

the quoted above is just spam :)
ImageImage
chorbs

Post by chorbs »

Thanks guys. I'm an old lady :o( and this is my first dog. She's a real sweetie and I'd really like to make this work. And I realize, much to my chagrin, it's going to be up to me alone to make it work.

And I know she's smart; she's already got 'sit', 'lay down' (or down), 'drop it', 'wait', and we're working on 'leave it'. Last night we walked and we worked on 'loose leash' (didn't get very far lol) It's just the housetraining thing (the most important one !) that has me bonkers.

I HATE just leaving her in the mudroom all the time; it has to be awful lonely and boring for her. Plus I know she NEEDS exercise (for health AND to burn off energy that could otherwise lead to mischievous behaviors !)

And Mattie, I love it !! Told the kids am coming up with a chores chart for the summer. When questioned 'why', "Because I'm going to be awfully busy having to train the dog all by myself !" So they don't want to help with the dog then they are going to be busy doing the work I would normally be doing !!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I LIKE your style, chorbs :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

chorbs wrote: And Mattie, I love it !! Told the kids am coming up with a chores chart for the summer. When questioned 'why', "Because I'm going to be awfully busy having to train the dog all by myself !" So they don't want to help with the dog then they are going to be busy doing the work I would normally be doing !!
That what I love to hear :lol:

When I was a child we all had chores to do to help out, the chores depended on our age and how capable we were, even the boys had chores to do, no chores no pocket money so we did them. There were daily chores like dishes and table and weekly chores, mine was cleaning all the brass work which mum loved.

When my DIL moved in with my son she didn't know how to cook or clean, it came as a shock to her, she made many mistakes but now her house is lovely.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
chorbs

Post by chorbs »

Ahhhhhhh !!!

It's only been a little while since I last posted and already ...... ahhhhhh !! Okay ......

she pees outside ("good girl, good Jamie")
set alarm for 45 mins
20 min later, I go outside for something, she comes with, pees again ("good girl, good Jamie")
reset alarm for 45 mins
we go outside for at least 10 mins, no pee
reset alarm for 10 mins (to try again)
maybe 7 min later I go in bathroom (part of blocked off mudroom), big puddle of pee !! (ok, everyone HAS to keep that door closed!)
reset alarm for 45 mins
(she is gated in kitchen/mudroom/bathroom, I am in kitchen with her)
30 mins later (I've been busy in kitchen) discover puddle of pee on other side of room !!
by now I've already lost track of the 45 mins schedule !!

tomorrow will be totally disrupted because we are getting new carpet installed

and btw, she's pooping in the ..... bathtub !!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The alarm clock is for you not her so if you are absorbed in something it will remind you to take her out. Take note of the times she is peeing, often dogs get into the habit of going about the same time of day, you can then get her outside when you are expecting her to pee. She may be better with a 30 minute schedule instead of 45 minutes, some dogs are.

This is the first day, already she has peed outside, that is a success, treat is as one, you managed to get her outside several times, well done. :D
and btw, she's pooping in the ..... bathtub !!
Much easier for you to clean up after her, she is being considerate. :lol: Seriously, don't worry to much she will get it. :D
chorbs

Post by chorbs »

Lololol, I agree, the bathtub is VERY convenient for cleaning !!! I 'hope' she gets it eventually. Just 'feels' like she isn't and 'I' feel like I'm doing nothing but dog all day and getting nothing else done. Not that that is necessarily bad either, for the dogs sake, except I have a family and house to take care of too !

Question - daughter is outside with Jamie. They'll be out there for a little while. Dog is tied up under a tree while daughter is working on cleaning the pool so daughter won't necessary see when Jamie goes the bathroom. Do I just set the alarm for 30 mins once she's back in the house?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

chorbs wrote:Lololol, I agree, the bathtub is VERY convenient for cleaning !!! I 'hope' she gets it eventually. Just 'feels' like she isn't and 'I' feel like I'm doing nothing but dog all day and getting nothing else done. Not that that is necessarily bad either, for the dogs sake, except I have a family and house to take care of too !
Forget the family, they are all quite capable of taking care of themselves, Jamie isn't, he needs you at the moment. :lol:
Question - daughter is outside with Jamie. They'll be out there for a little while. Dog is tied up under a tree while daughter is working on cleaning the pool so daughter won't necessary see when Jamie goes the bathroom. Do I just set the alarm for 30 mins once she's back in the house?
Have a coffee and enjoy the break from toilet training, Jamie will go outside when she needs to go as she is already out there, it may even feel nicer to go outside. :lol:

You do need to relax more, the more relaxed you are the easier it will be for Jamie to work out what you want her to do. Enjoy the break from housework, you are far too busy teaching Jamie to do housework, a week's dust won't hurt anyone, if they don't like it give them something to get rid of it with. :lol:
misskris

Post by misskris »

i feel your pain! When I first got Daisy, I tried to train her to potty on a pad because my friend (who had the litter) said that she was already "sort of" going on a pad. I was SO frustrated, trying to "catch her in the act," then move her to the pad which resulted in picking up pee and poop constantly for 3 straight days. At that point, I decided I was going to try to have her go outside instead and see if it worked. It did! yay! Daisy is almost 4 months and you are correct to say that there is NO way she could hold it for 4 hours unless she's taking a long nap. I'm lucky if she holds it for ONE hour while she's awake! I do the following and it seems to be working quite well, but she still has some accidents which I totally understand and expect. =)

1. Take Daisy out EVERY time she wakes up from a nap (after making her sit on my mat inside my door to signify to her that she should do this when she has to go so I know she has to go) or EVERY time she is sniffing around or EVERY time she eats (about 10 minutes after finishing)

2. The second I see her sniffing, I take her straight to the mat, sit, then outside to pee. I wait out there until she goes then have a high-value treat handy to treat her immediately after going. When she goes in the house, I never yell at her, I just quietly clean it up. She usually understands it is wrong because she gets no treat and no praise...

Eventually, she got it. Took a week or so of CONSTANT supervision and consistency on my part. I'm lucky as I'm on summer break from school (I'm a teacher) so I had the luxury of watching her every waking moment to be sure I catch her BEFORE she pees. I hope everything works for you, I know how frustrating it can be, as I am just finishing the potty training stage! Hang in there, your baby will get it! =)