Mekuti calming bands

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Milo.N.Edys.Mum

Mekuti calming bands

Post by Milo.N.Edys.Mum »

Post removed
Last edited by Milo.N.Edys.Mum on Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mattie

Re: Mekuti calming bands

Post by Mattie »

Hi Kelly,

Really it would be better to teach your dog what you wanted him to do instead of trying to stop what he is doing. You have a 7 month old JRT, a teenage hooligan who is in his second fear period, if you have a look at viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1981 it will give you an idea of what stages puppies go through.

You also have a JRT, these dogs have been bred to think for themselves, if they didn't they were killed by their prey. Clicker training usually works well with them, look at viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513 it will tell you how to do it. JRTs often will work for a squeaky toy, the toy needs to be kept for training only, never leave him with it. The reward is a short play with the toy.

When we use gadgets to solve a problem with our dog it is very frustrating for the dog, he is barking for a reason, if he can't bark he will get very frustrated and this will escalate. Instead get him to do something when he is barking, like sit, down, paw etc. this will get his mind off what he is barking at. I have taught my dogs to stop barking on command.
I have a 7 month old JRT who is a yapper in certain situations (when he sees other dogs, frustration, playing, postman) The only situation I would be able to use it in is where we are walking and he sees other dogs as that is the only time he has my constant supervision.
Can you give us more information please? what is his body language when he sees other dogs? for playing and the postman it is normal for dogs to bark.
we have been ignoring his barking but it is not stopping, I don't want to use any type of shock spray vibrating diversion collar, but I do feel its time to take a step above just plain ignoring, and by the sound of this band it makes the dog realise it has a mouth and it is barking as it can feel the band around it.
Ignoring doesn't stop a dog from barking as you have found out, it is self rewarding to the dog and gets worse if ignored. As well as what I have asked for above, please give us a run down of his normal day including exercise, food, play training etc. As much information as you can, we love long posts and I adore JRTs, they are wonderful dogs. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Milo.N.Edys.Mum

Post removed
Last edited by Milo.N.Edys.Mum on Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Milo.N.Edys.Mum wrote:Hi Mattie

Thanks for your responce, the other issue i am having with him going through his adolesence stage is he doesnt always listen to me especially in situations where there are lots of distractions, so trying to get him to *look* *sit* *down* *touch* etc when he sees another dog is pretty much impossible (we are addressing this by going back to basics with his training and we are going to gradually start re introducing distractions into his training sessions again, we also have just started introducing the clicker in with this to help.
Sounds like you know what you are doing and are doing the right thing to go back to basics. The teenage hooligan stage can be a nightmare especially with terriers.
hes not hugely food orientanted and unless my other JRT has a toy he shows no interest in them either.

Sometimes you can find a toy that they will work for, this toy is to be only used for training and they never get it at any other time to keep them keen for the toy. Sometimes a piece of fur on a strong cord/string attached to a stick may work, some dogs live to chase these. If you can find what he will work for it will make a big difference. Emmabeth has a dog who's treat is to steel the treats out of her pocked when training is finished :lol:
His body language towards other dogs is confident ears and tail up but wagging, not lunging but leed taught as he is trying to get to them, its not an aggressive bark, just more hi im here lets play NOW.

Do you have the lead clipped to his collar or harness?
the reason why i was considering the calming band is the more he practises this behaviour the more ingrained it is going to become in him, and whilst he is struggling to listen to me outside, i thought it might be worth a try until he is through his adolessence and re gains a grip on his training again.
I can understand that, others may have other ideas that may help. A terrorist that is frustrated can be a nightmare, if we can avoid this the better.

He is fed in the morning 5.30-6.00am(Arden Grange), then has another meal about 12 midday then his last about 7pm
Depending on what is planned for the day (i have 2 young children as well), the dogs 5 out of 7 mornings are walked about 9am then every evening are taken across the feilds for a good run about 5pm.

in the day when the kids are playing on there own i play games with the dogs, fetch or we have one of those nina ottosan mind games, or treat balls, raw bones, kongs, or hide and seak games to keep them occupied.

Generally they are only left on there own a couple of times a week for a couple of hours, they sleep down stairs, i have just moved them out of crates and into a bed.
Think I will come back as one of your dogs :lol:
i train them most evenings when the children have gone to bed, on the weekends we go to my parents where they have a mini agility course which they use.
Why not make one for yourself? They don't need to be expensive, do a search there is a thread on here with lots of ideas because people don't have the money to buy them. You can also teach them to fetch named objects, and other things to help round the house, they will all help mentally.
sorry for the long reply

Kind regards
Kelly
Don't be sorry for the long reply, we need as much information as possible to try and help, long replies give us more information.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Hi Milo.N.Edys.Mum

I've been looking at the calming band on the website and for the life of me, I can't honestly see it working. I could be wrong of course, but this is my experience.

My dog wears a halter - it restricts how much he can open his mouth, and makes no difference whatsoever to how much he barks.

My last dog also wore one, and barked and squealed like some one was killing him - and even wearing a nylon muzzle - the kind that holds the mouth closed - made no difference. We couldn't believe how he still managed to bark just as much.

Have you tried suddenly running while calling his name, to divert his attention or using a squeaky toy?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

jakesmom wrote: My last dog also wore one, and barked and squealed like some one was killing him - and even wearing a nylon muzzle - the kind that holds the mouth closed - made no difference. We couldn't believe how he still managed to bark just as much.
Those muzzles are dangerous, not only can your dog bark they can still bite, if they vomit they can't get it out, it goes down their airway and they can drown. I wish they would stop selling them.
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one Mattie.

They're only dangerous in the hands of irresponsible owners. As long as the dog is well supervised and they are not left on for a long time (danger of the dog overheating) they're fine. And I don''t see how a dog can bite with one on, nip with their front teeth - yes, but bite -no.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

To someone who isn't into dogs a nip to us is a bite to them, if they report it, it will go down on your dog's record as a bite, especially if it breaks the skin.

People who don't understand dogs as we do don't realise that there is danger in leaving them on the dogs, I used to know someone who put them on her dog when she went out not knowing that if he vomited he would drown in it. She was horrified and never put it on again.

When we buy things the information give is very little, most owners only have one or 2 dogs, they don't go into things like we do on here so don't realise the dangers in many things. When people come on here looking for more information we HAVE to give the pros and cons, we HAVE to say what can go wrong, we HAVE to tell them what can damage or even kill their dogs, it would be irresponsible of us not to. Not every owner supervises their dogs the way you do Jakesmum so while you disagree, not to say about the dangers would be irresponsible of us.

Examples of lack of information is choke chains, headcollars etc. we know the dangers of these so can counteract them but for someone who has just got a dog they don't. I see a lot of dogs with an extending lead clipped to a headcollar, that is really dangerous, if the dog takes off at speed and hits the end of the extending lead they can break their neck yet on the packaging of one of them they show a dog with an extending lead clipped to the headcollar.
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Sorry Mattie, but I wasn't disagreeing about the possible dangers, I was disagreeing about the fact that you would like to see the shops stop selling them.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I would Jakesmum, along with choke chains and headcollars because no information is given and too many dogs are being injured because of the lack of information, in some cases the dogs die.
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

You know my opinion on headcollars, I think they're brilliant if used correctly.

Unfortunately you can't fix stupid. Most people do not even bother reading instructions and safety guides.

Cars and dangerous, knives are dangerous and people die, but they are also extremely useful. You can only advice of dangers and hope that users have common sense.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

We have a choice to go into a car or not, to carry a knife or not, to cross a road or not, a dog doesn't he has to wear it because his owner says so.

Yes people don't read instruction but you can kiss *** if there are instructions there. I know many people who were shocked at what could happen to their dog, these owners would have read the instructions and followed them, not all people are stupid.

I don't have any problem with them if they are used properly, I have a lot of problem with them when they are not, same as not giving information when they are being recommended. It isn't us who suffer if information isn't given it is the dog and many pay with their lives, I don't think that is acceptable.
Milo.N.Edys.Mum

post removed
Last edited by Milo.N.Edys.Mum on Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Milo.N.Edys.Mum wrote:Hi Mattie
Sounds like you know what you are doing and are doing the right thing to go back to basics. The teenage hooligan stage can be a nightmare especially with terriers.
Yes we have had the help of a really good APDT dog trainer with both the boys and definitely learned a lot of lessons with Milo so a bit more savy when it comes to Edy, Milo was in this stage for months and we waited it out until he was 11 months and in the end some of his extremes (marking everywhere i went in the house, aggression outside, wandering when off lead) were so extreme we decided to have him castrated . . .thankfully it helped him although it was still early but he is like a different dog again now back to the old obedient Milo . . . . .. that said Edys issues arent anything really that serious or due to his testosterone.
He sounds like a very stressed, nervous dog, at 11 months old when castrated he would be well on the way to being mature, I adopted a 2 year old Staffy who is locked in puppyhood, a puppy brain in an adult body can be a nightmare at times but he is getting there. :D

Do you have the lead clipped to his collar or harness?
it depends generally just his collar, if i am going out somewhere with kids and both dogs on my own i will use a head collar, because he does have a tenancy to pull more if i have the buggy, we do have a harness for him as well but its a sen-si-ble one so clips to the front and personally im not to keen on it neither is edy.
Headcollars should be used with either a double ended lead or 2 leads, one clipped to the headcollar the other to a collar or harness, the dog is walked on the collar/harness and the headcollar is only used when it is needed. Headcollars can do a lot of damage to a dog and some dogs have broken their necks because they leap about with them on.

Personally I don't like the harnesses that clip on the front, I have used one with a lead clipped to both the shoulder and front, that did give me a lot more control. I find that the harnesses that are clipped onto the front keeps turning the dog if any tension is put on it and can trip me up. Walking with a buggy I should think a dog being turned into the buggy can be dangerous to the dog and the child.
Think I will come back as one of your dogs
Hahaha well i can honestly say we have never had a problem with chewing, ripping the house up, or any kind of boredom behaviour from them, like the kids they are what you put into them really, i do treat them like my kids a bit to much probably, but where i wouldn't lock my kids up for hours on end with nothing to do im not prepared to do that to the dogs either, and i wouldn't feed my kids a diet of fast food and crap so im not prepared to do that to the dogs either.
You are spot on, :D I also treat my dogs as my children but expect a lot more obedience from them, I also treat them as dogs and hopefully only have dog expectations of them.

Why not make one for yourself? They don't need to be expensive, do a search there is a thread on here with lots of ideas because people don't have the money to buy them. You can also teach them to fetch named objects, and other things to help round the house, they will all help mentally.
you saying that I have brought the wood and fittings to make a few jumps and a plank and some weaves but my dad and partner haven't had chance yet to put them all together.
Why don't you do it yourself? It is amazing what us women can do when we put our minds to it. :lol: Do you knit or sew, if you do you are working with materials and shapes, it is the same when using wood only different materials and tools. Poles can be put on bricks, buckets, etc. they don't have to be expensive, weaves can be just broom handles put into a wooden block with a hole drilled through, very easy to do but these tools do frighten us when we first try to use them. If I can do it so can you. :D
Do you own terriers? or are you a trainer / behaviourist . . .im intrigued to your vast knowledge :D
Thank you for the compliment, you also have quite a lot of knowledge. As the others will tell you I can kick butt very hard at times, but only when it is needed :lol:

For some reason I manage to get the dogs that others, including trainers, won't touch because of their problems, I have been lied to by rescues who didn't admit to the problems of the dogs. I have fostered problem dogs and turned them round so basically my knowledge has come from the dogs I have had and also this forum, especially Emmabeth and Nettle.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Why are the OP posts deleted? I was hoping to read about these bands