It's Me or the Dogs in the US?

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Aidan

It's Me or the Dogs in the US?

Post by Aidan »

Hi, It's Me or the Dog has recently begun showing in Australia. There has been some discussion on Click-L recently about a certain TV Dog Trainer in the US and Canada and when positive trainers over there are going to get some dog training edutainment that they can enjoy?

I suggested "It's Me or the Dog", now people want to know who they can lobby to get IMOTD aired in the US and Canada?

Given the success of the Supernanny in the US, I had assumed that IMOTD would probably follow suit anyway? Any plans?
Regards,
Aidan
http://www.PositivePetzine.com
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

Aidan,

Any suggestions regarding the international placement of the show should be directed to Ricochet (http://www.ricochet.co.uk), as they are the production company behind the program (and Supernanny, as it happens). Everyone involved with the show is keen for it to be in the US, and any grassroots support to help move the process along is most welcome. We might also start another forum topic here to serve as a place to voice support.

Thank you for your support and interest in the show.

BoardHost
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

FYI, 'It's Me or the Dog' will debut in the US on Animal Planet April 16th at 8:30pm EST.
BoardHost
bevybev

Post by bevybev »

Oh yes!! watched it last night on animal planet, it is great! i just love it!! :lol:
ctg21361

Post by ctg21361 »

I'm very thankful for this show. I tried Victoria Stillwell's methods on my dog, and they work! (My beagle/poodle mix is a very dominant girl) Thank you very much, Ms. Stillwell.
Jaygirl

Post by Jaygirl »

I started watching 'It's Me or the Dog' a few weeks ago on Animal Planet in the US and I love it! I have three dogs (all rescues), so I'm hoping to pick up some good tips on how to train them and how to train myself too.\ :lol:
Love me, Love my dogs.
dino

Post by dino »

What a great show! We watch it and enjoy it whenever it's on, and I think the techniques shown are sound and effective.

I do have a question, though. Given that this is a British TV show and it's airing in a 30 minute US TV slot, has it been cut down from the original British version?

Being a Brit in the US, I notice this frequently in UK shows ported over to the US. Anyway. If this is the case, are there plans to release DVDs in the US territory? And if so, will they be the "full" version of the show?

Here's something that might be worth mentioning to Animal Planet. Some networks (BBC America, for example) will show the US formatted version of a show during it's regular slot, but will show the longer UK version on the On Demand Service.

Keep Up The Good Work!
--
dino
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

AFAIK, its only a 30 minute show here excluding some 'specials' so no, you are not missing anything.

I think you do get the feeling you are missing something as its extremely difficult to really cover indepth the amount of work that actually goes into sorting out a dogs problems, so a lot of the work done isnt shown.

Sadly most viewers just wouldnt sit down and watch a dog show that lasted a couple of hours! Shame, i would!
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

Dino,

You're right. During the re-versioning process, approx 2-3 minutes of the UK version gets cut from the Animal Planet version. The vast majority of the cut material is exposition, and not training.

Good idea on the 'on demand' full-length versions. Will pass this on the program makers. As of now, as far as I'm aware, Animal Planet doesn't offer on-demand video. Currently, there are no plans I'm aware of that include DVD versions of the show anywhere but Australia/New Zealand.

Thanks,
BoardHost
dino

Post by dino »

Thanks for the clarification.

I did get a sense of missing "something" during the shows. For example, in one show the camera panned across a schedule (that had obviously been drawn up for the dog-owners), but that hadn't been mentioned before in the show, and wasn't referred to again.

But I've been reading the other forums and somewhere it's stated that they can't fit in everything they film anyway.

I guess I'm getting a little oversensitive to my favourite BritTv being cut!

Thanks!
--
dino
Christine

Post by Christine »

BoardHost wrote: *snipped*

Currently, there are no plans I'm aware of that include DVD versions of the show anywhere but Australia/New Zealand.

Thanks,
Pity! I know that I would purchase them in a heartbeat, if someone did some in NTFS format. :) (Hint, Hint)

I just started watching the show on Animal Planet about a month ago, and was so thrilled that Victoria was a 'positive' trainer, and, that she went to the home.

I always wonder about the trainers that take the dog away from normal environment to train them. Once home, does the unwanted behavior crop back up, and exactly how is the animal being trained. It may just be my paranoid mind, but, I trust how my dogs are treated in my home, not with a stranger.

Anyway..... LOVE this show! Am so glad it is being aired in the US.
lovevictoriainusa

Post by lovevictoriainusa »

Love IMOTD in the US!! Thank you Victoria!

and I don't even have a dog........
Brook

Post by Brook »

For the past month I have watch Its Me or The Dog, and I truly love watching Victoria's training method. She has done wonders in helping owners take care of their dogs and training them to be well behaved dogs.

I just wish we could see More of her training shows on the Animal PLanet more than we do. I could just sit there watching and learning as much as I can to help me with my dogs.
Keep up the great work that you do Victoria. We need more trainers in this world like you.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thank you - I really appreciate your comments.
Winterwish

Post by Winterwish »

I really like watching the show too! Can't believe it's been on this long and I only recently have known about it.

There's so much talk about another show here,very popular here in the US,on a different network.
It's been so upsetting to me to see dogs frequently being mistreated,based on the methods on that show. I believe even the trainer himself would say what is being done to dogs in the average neighborhood,as a direct result of that show,is incorrect.

I'm so glad there's finally an alternate program. One based on building a relationship with your dog and overcoming problems that may have gotten in the way of that.
Bet there's a whole lot of dogs who,if they could talk,would say they've been longing for this show too! :wink:

Anyway! Very happy to finally be able to recommend a program for dogs and their people. :)