Belgian Shepard/ Sheepdog

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Gordiesmom

Belgian Shepard/ Sheepdog

Post by Gordiesmom »

I would love to find more information on Belgian Shepards. I grew up with this breed and recently bought a beautiful male puppy to add to our family. From what I can find on the breed they are highly intelligent and very sensitive. I socialize him daily and so far he is doing wonderful. I would love to find others that have this breed to share ideas and techniques with.
nickmcmechan

Re: Belgian Shepard/ Sheepdog

Post by nickmcmechan »

do you mean the Malinois?
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

Hello-
I have a Malinois--Flanders is a sweet, sensitive, intelligent soul. Also stubborn, but so am I. :wink:
Flanders is a quick study, but I've always noticed that she will react when I'm mad--not mad at her, but mad at say, something I heard on the news. I'll start ranting, and she'll flatten her ears and look real sad. I have to reassure her that it's NOT her.
I entered her in a puppy kindergarten when she was around 4-5 months old, and still had the attention span of a gnat. I put her in a basic obedience class when she was around 18 months old, and she did much better.
The one thing I have not been able to get Flanders to stop doing is jumping. Everyone at the dog park knows that she is Michael Jordan's love child.
Sooo....determinately use positive training methods and go at the dog's pace. Have fun! :mrgreen:
One other thing: there was an episode where Vic showed the owners a shell game type game that they could play with their dog. It's simply putting a biscuit under a cup and then rearranging it/mixing it up with others. Y'know, the old carny game. I highly recommend it.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

Our Belgian is a Groenendael. He is now 5 and a half months old and a joy to have. Although without a fenced in yard and him having two acres to run on I am constantly watching him. Somedays I feel like I have a three year old running around. By 6pm I am exhausted. Although he does nap like a child which frees up a few hours of my day. Training so far has been fairly easy, with the exception of garbage and still the occasional accident in the house.
salamana

Post by salamana »

My belgian is a Tervueren with no hairs or a malinois with a lot of hairs loool. I don't know how it works in USA, but here in France we've got Working Belgian Shepherd and Beauty Belgian Shepherd. Enken is a working dog, he is 2 years old and he's a fabulous dog always ready to do something with me and very friendly. My brother have 4 malinois so I think belgian shepherd is a family's love.
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

I grew up with a Belgian, which is why I have always wanted one. Here in the states they are not a common breed. At least not the type I have. It took me almost six months to find mine. Then I got lucky and a breeder here in Michigan had a young dam that was only on her second litter so her puppies weren't pulling premium pricing and we only paid $700 for him.
I am guessing where you are they would be the Beauty Belgian. Mine is all black with the full neck collar. He amazes me everyday at how smart he is. Right now he is laying on the floor playing with his toys and watching It's me or the dog.
I do worry about if I am training him correctly as I read that this breed is very sensitive. He does seem to be more sensitive than our Golden. I wish I could figure out how to put pics on here. I've tried and it never works.
salamana

Post by salamana »

Here is Enken. I think he's the most beautiful and smartest dog of the world but I'm not objective loool.

[your picture must be on the web, you can upload it with "www.imageshack.us" if you want. Then copy the address of your picture in your post and add (img)(/img) with [] for the ()]

I think they are sensitive because they are very close of humans, especially us their masters (I don't know if it's the good word in English). They need to please us. So they need to understand what we want from them before everything.
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

He is BEAUTIFUL! Almost looks similar to the one I had growing up.
Gordie is still a baby so he is filling out nicely.

horza

Post by horza »

Hi

i have a 5 yr old female groenendal. She is the best dog i have ever known, i have never had any problems with her, apart from the shedding, this year ive thought of making belgian shepard fur filled duvets, it is ridiculus.

here is one picture (i hope) im just about to post in the breed part about my other dog so there will be more on there if you fancy a look.

Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

I am loving finding other Belgian lovers! This breed is very under talked about. I consider Gordie one of the best dogs I've owned. Don't get me wrong I've had several breeds and loved them all. But I feel that Belgians bond differently than other breeds or is that just me LOL

Horza your girl is beautiful
horza

Post by horza »

thanks Gordiesmum, so is yours, i love them when their puppies they are just sooo fluffy,

i really agree about the bonding Tasha is so loving and loyal, but also can be quite independant. ive started goign on some new walks and i think she loves exploring new places, she will go alot further infront than she normally does, then comes running back.

i do think there very unknown, when teling people i have one, they always say is that like a GSD, or as i got asked the other day "is that a wolf?"

also not sure if this is just Tasha or trait, but i have a lot of "dog walking" friends and sometimes there can be around 6 dogs all walking together, and i think Tasha feels like she has to check on them, if one is behind she will go and wait then run back to the front.
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

Gordie does the same thing when we have him running with Emma. Even on the golf course if he is riding in the cart with us and Emma runs into the woods out of sight, Gordie will bark until we let him off the cart so he can go look for her. Possibly part of their herding heritage coming thru.
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

Gordiesmom--
Belgians aren't common as pets over here, but this county has been using the Malinois as police dogs for quite some time.
I've seen a few being walked in my neighborhood, so my Flanders isn't the only Malinoose :wink: in town.
I have a sticker on my car window that says My Belgian Malinois is Smarter Than Your Honor Student :mrgreen:
There are rescue groups in this country now.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Gordiesmom

Post by Gordiesmom »

Dawnstorm..........Gordie is the only Belgian in our entire county, at least that is licensenced and the only one at our vets office. I looked into resuces before we finally found a breeder, but at the time they didn't have any available. I love my Belgian he is sooooooo smart.
horza

Post by horza »

I remember when we decided to get Tasha she was only one of 11 puppies in the UK during the year. When we decided to breed Tasha we had 8 people wanting to look at the puppies while she was still pregnent. (she only had 6, which was enough for us to cope with)