using clicker training towards stroking & touching

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fab_lab

using clicker training towards stroking & touching

Post by Fab_lab »

Hi I have a jack Russell , he is 2 yrs old , and very good when it comes to clicker training , he seems to understand it and enjoy it , but I want some advice on how to clicker train him towards being stroked ..He does not liked to be touch , stroked .. You can put a lead on him , play ball with him , chat to him . but no touching ... any advice please .
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would clicker train him to accept being touched with an object, preferably one he already associates with good things (say a lead, or if you use a Chuckit to throw the ball with, that would be good).

This way your hands are not initially going where he doesnt want hands and IF he reacts badly, no one gets hurt.

Gradually work your way up to hands, I would probably start with touching him with an item and have your hand around 3 feet away from him, and close that distance slowly, still holding the item, until you are touching him.

As ever, let the dog dictate the pace and if in doubt, back off a bit.
Fab_lab

Post by Fab_lab »

Thanks for your advice , I will start with his feet as he is ok with his feet being touch .
many thanks again :)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

You can also use a clicker and the TTouch way, they start with a feather on the end of a pole and stroke the dog with the feather. Once the dog is happy with the feather they have a false hand on the end of the pole. By doing it this way first you are not likely to get bitten.

Once he is happy with the hand on the pole, take the hand off the pole and stroke him with just the hand. When happy with that, you can use your own hand.

Each time he lets you stroke him whether it is with the feather, false hand or your hand, you can click and treat.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fab_lab

Post by Fab_lab »

its sure is an idea ..