Chewing wood

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Yes, I did post that thread for your benefit Cockercharlie. And for anyone with a new pup. Thank you Ocelot.

This is what the breeder of my Dobe did. She had a crate in their area in the kitchen and took the door off. There were blankies and toys and the pups could go in and out as they wished. They had a good head start that way and learned to feel secure and safe within those walls. Unbridled freedom isn't all it's cracked up to be for a puppy. But if very early conditioning isn't done, it can still be done later as with your pup. Just take it slowly. When you must leave or are unable to supervise him.....and he hasn't gotten quite use to it, that is difficult. You might also consider an X pen. (look up on Google) You can put the crate in the X pen if it's big enough. But I'd still get him use to a crate anyhow because it's safer for car rides and when the dog has to be in a vet's over night, they're usually in small cage type things...so it make it a little less traumatic if they're already use to one.

It's helpful, I have found to have one in the part of the house where all the family is most of the time and one in your bedroom for night time so you don't have to move it back and forth. But of course, they're not cheap.

Training with my mind, not my hands.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

ooooooh gratuitous puppy pics!!! Melikes :D
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Aren't they cute? Pictures like those give me a bad case of puppyitis.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Carrie wrote:Aren't they cute? Pictures like those give me a bad case of puppyitis.
see noooooo desire here for another pup! Not for a long while at least. When I can take a year or so off to do nothing but supervise the pup!
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

danabanana wrote:
see noooooo desire here for another pup! Not for a long while at least. When I can take a year or so off to do nothing but supervise the pup!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You and me both!!! I have grey hair! I will need at least another year, maybe two before I am ready to do battle again, if EVER!! :wink:
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

See? I need people like you, Dana and Ocelot to bring me back to earth. There seems to be a small bit of logic left in me but sometimes it gets over run by the "a-w-w-w-w" factor. :lol:
CockerCharlie

Post by CockerCharlie »

Well Belle wasnt sure on the crate at first but we left her in it for 15mins when we were gardening at the weekend and she didnt complain at all she fell asleep and that put my mind at ease, then we had to go out on sunday and she was in it for a hr but hubby had taken her for a long walk b4 and she was fast asleep when we got back, the only small problem we have had was that when she saw we were back she got so excited she wee'd on me the first time in mths. so im hoping that she will lose that need to pee on me again lol. but thank you all for your help.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Oh that's fabulous news (not about the weeing obviously) but that she has taken to her crate. It will give you piece of mind when you are out. Well done for sticking with it, in a few months you will wonder how you ever coped with out it (in fact I wonder how you ever coped without it :lol: ).
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Oh, that's great news Cockercharlie. You're doing fabulously! The weeing might settle down if when you come home, you keep things as low key as possible on your end anyhow. Don't pay much attention to her at first and take her out quickly. I think she'll get onto this better and better. Crates are a godsend as long as they're not used to excess. It will give you such peace of mind that she's safe and not wrecking your stuff. And it will become her little bedroom where all the good stuff is.
CockerCharlie

Post by CockerCharlie »

One of the funny things since having the crate in the living room is that she wont drink her water from anywhere else now, so we have to makesure that the clip on water bowl is full of water as she wont drink out of the other bowl. Plus poor herman (cat) whos crate it was when he was hit by a van 2yrs ago wants to sleep in there all the time which belle really doesnt like him doing.
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

LOL. Well, it might warrent buying another crate. Poor kitty...

That's funny how she won't drink anywhere else. (she would if she had to) But it shows that she must be pretty comfortable about going in her crate. Terrific. Best of luck to you!