advice on possible new addition

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rubyboo

advice on possible new addition

Post by rubyboo »

Hi

I have two bitches - a 21 mth old rottie and a 12mth sbt (both neutered) who get on fantastically well. I have always liked the idea of rescuing one more dog (and certainly no more than that) however I am unsure whether this would be fair on my girlies? Also should I consider an older or younger dog? Male or female?

Any advice or opinions would br gratefully recieved :) also how have other found bringing a new dog into the family? our rottie is lovely and laid back and friendly with dogs while the staffie is more selective over her friends

Nic
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Ok purely an opinion as I will leave advise to those more qualified to give it.

IMHO its all a matter of time. What I mean by this is simply do you have time for another dog? Whether or not you do, will obviously depend on your personal circumstances and only you can answer this question. If for example you are at home all day everyday and have nothing else to do than look after your dogs, train etc then you probably do have room for another dog in your life.

I also think it depends on your other two dogs. I note that they are both still quite young and as such I would imagine they are still fairly demanding (or it could just be my view of young dogs has been tainted by owning the most demanding dog on the planet :lol: ). Again, if you think that you can give the time that both your current dogs need and then have some to spare for another, then go for it. I think it only becomes unfair on the dogs you already have if you 'spread yourself too thin' and end up not giving them the time they need anymore to look after the new dog. When it comes to the possiblilty of a new addition, I personally would have to out the needs of the dog I already have first and then see what I had left in the tank so to speak.

In relation to the new dogs itself the only thing I really know about this is that bitches can be very unforgiving if they take a dislike to each ither, so you may want to beware of this in relation to your SBT.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Quite honestly, I think you should enjoy your status quo and not rock the boat. As Ocelot said, they are both very young and IMO you have a rocky trip ahead as they mature. Two bitches together isn't easy (I speak as someone who once had five) and adding a newbie of either sex IMO is not a good idea.

Three is a bad number in any case with most creatures, and people too.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.