collar is making my puppy scratch

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

horza

collar is making my puppy scratch

Post by horza »

Hi

just looking for a bit of advice.

my 12 week old german shepard/ lab hates having her collar on as it makes her scratch.

she doesn't mind the collar itself she will sit calmly as i put it on, but after a few minutes she is scratching, then after about 30mins she is literally running on three legs trying to scratch.

not really sure what i can do about this. i brought a leather collar as i thought this would be best, and i believe it to be the right size (i can fit three fingers under it).

i walk her on her collar, and again this doesn't seem to bother her, but then i have to take the collar off aswell after about 5 mins becasue of the running on three legs.

i would glady not have her wear a collar, but i have just found out that not having a collar on a dog is actully illegal in the UK, even though my other dog has never worn one (the older dog is getting on fine, apart from chewing it when she was bored but i think this is because it was too loose)

any advice would be appreciated, or just get rid of the collar (and face any concequences, even though we have never used one)

thanks
Natalie
ladybug1802

Re: collar is making my puppy scratch

Post by ladybug1802 »

Hi! Hmmm...so she is wearing a leather collar at the moment right? And does she have it on all the time?

I wonder if it might be something to do with her being allergic to the leather, or something the leather is treated with? Have you tried her with a nylon collar to see if she has the same reaction?

If not maybe you could just put her collar on when you go out with her, and take it off when you get back home. That is what I do and what a couple of my friends do...i do it because I like him to be 'naked', and my friend is just lazy so she keeps the leads attached to the collars and just takes the collars off when they come in the door!
horza

Post by horza »

yeah i thought about getting a nylon one,

she has it one for 5 or 10 min, 4 or 5 times a day. i thought she would get used to it but no joy.

but to be honest i might just do without.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Yes might be worth trying a nylon one, just to see if it makes any difference.

Dogs do need to have collars and a tag on when out in public here in the UK though....and the tag has to have address and phone number of owner. I also have the fact that he is microchipped engraved on there. Dont see why the address and all that is needed but the Uk like to have pointless laws dont they! But if your dog gets picked up by the warden for example with no collar, it is against the law :(
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I find mine scratch a bit too, so what I do is put the collar on when we are just about to do something great - a short outing, food, play, anything good. As soon as the nice time has finished, the collar comes off. We build up from minutes to longer over time.

If you always pair the collar put on with something extra nice, it gets positive associations.

I like leather collars and that's what I use, but I start with a light puppy collar and move on to proper ones as the dog grows up.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Bo's mum

Post by Bo's mum »

I would also start with a light weight nylon collar with positive association and go from there :D Too many times i have come across stray dogs that escaped the garden, ran out the front door, jumped out the window etc, so i would always advise a light weight collar on at all times.
Beckyyy

Post by Beckyyy »

You could try a padded collar.

My pup wasn't keen at first when he was a baby, but I put it on about 5 minutes after we picked him up from his breeder and didn't take it off at all. I felt that he needed to get used to it and taking it off everytime he caused a fuss would only cause him to learn that fuss meant no collar, and a collar could potentially save his life or stop him from getting lost. I don't think just leaving it on is cruel or too much as it's not a punishment or painful, just new and maybe a little uncomfortable at first compared to being a naked dog. Lots of praise and distraction helps a lot. Not having one on is very dangerous, if she managed to get out she wouldn't have any immediately identifiable ID. Please do not stop using one.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Mine always scratches when he has a collar on unless we are out and about doing stuff, and he is 6 now, so he just wears it when he needs to. He has it off when we are at home or in the garden, but always on when we are out or away from home. He does it with both leather and nylon collars, so it isn't an allergy thing. Your pup may get used to it given time, especially if you do as Nettle says and always make it a good thing!

Please don't not use one without good reason, there are too many dogs handed in to rescue simply because they have escaped or had a fright and run away and the owners can't be traced, aside from it being illegal.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

In addition to all the above good info and tips.... I have neoprene collars (Ezydog versions). They do pong a bit after a while of swimming/getting wet but go fine into the washing machine which leather couldn't. The leather could have been treated, as mentioned above, with something which is leaching when/if the collar gets wet. Just an idea...
horza

Post by horza »

hi

i now use a nylon collar when we go out and ive ordered her a harness aswell, she now knows that collar means were going out so likes it she still scratches a bit doesn't walk with 3 legs like she did with with the leather one.

she wears it when we go out but not when we are in the house or garden as i like my dogs as others said "naked"

thanks everyone for your comments
Natalie