Extending leash

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Re: Extending leash

Post by Fundog »

Mattie: Thank you sooo much for your input; it was all very helpful, and I will try to "keep my shirt on," as my Grandma would say, and wait Dottie out until she is responsive-- or until Hell freezes over, whichever comes first! :lol: :lol:

Nettle: I totally appreciate and understand your concern. It worries me too--- but Dottie is surprisingly swift and strong-- like a horse in a dog's body. She has pulled me over so many times, and I ended up either letting go of the lead or getting rope burns or both, that I decided I would rather risk serious injury myself, than to risk her getting into the road and hit by a car. Once I'm down, she can't take me too far-- I'm just a 200 lb. dead weight, and she is only a 40 lb. filly. :lol: If you or anyone else has another idea though, I'd love to hear it. :D

PS: Thanks for the positive feedback; I'll keep at it! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Gundog Guy: Dottie actually will flush on command already. :D I haven't really worked on the sit after the flush, although when I have her on a short lead, she ends up in an automatic sit because I'm not going anywhere. :lol: I have actually "played" with this a little bit with her on a short lead: when we are out on a walk, and she starts pointing the birds, I will tell her to "wait," allowing her to hold her point. Then, just when neither of us can stand it any longer, I will say, "okay!" and we run up on the flush together. When I stop, she has to stop too because the lead is short. It's fun, and it allows Dottie an opportunity to practice and not "squash" her breeding instincts. I haven't done this with the long line, though. I'll have to noodle that one a bit before I try it, since I can see the risk of me getting hurt with the line around my waist the way I do. Hmmm..... The idea does have potential, though, and this is one of the elements still needed to make Dottie and me effective hunters, should we ever actually get out there and shoot something. :idea:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
GundogGuy

Post by GundogGuy »

One thing you must never have on your person while a dog is tied to you in any way is a gun :D
"Oh what gold there is to find when one is blessed with an open mind" - me, not five minutes ago :-)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

GundogGuy wrote:One thing you must never have on your person while a dog is tied to you in any way is a gun :D
Okay, I'll remember that. :wink:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

If you wear a glove on the hand you have hold of the rope you won't get rope burns :lol: Had many of then working with horses because I had forgotten my gloves. :lol:

It isn't easy standing there doing nothing while you are waiting for your dog, there are still times when I forget and I have been trying to do this for quite a lot of years. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

When holding something large that is liable to make a run for it, I hold the rope in both hands and ram my hands into the small of my back. It isn't perfect infallible arresting power, but it does give you quite a lot more strength.

Most of all, it gives me time to work on the body language that precedes the lunge so I can get the OI! that stops it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Nettle wrote:When holding something large that is liable to make a run for it, I hold the rope in both hands and ram my hands into the small of my back. It isn't perfect infallible arresting power, but it does give you quite a lot more strength.

Most of all, it gives me time to work on the body language that precedes the lunge so I can get the OI! that stops it.
:idea: :idea: :idea: I will try that next time.
horza

Post by horza »

hi

this is primaily a resquest for gundog guy.

just wondering how you use that bunny run, it looks quite complicated to me :) , just because i have a 4 month GSD/lab which i am 99.99% certain my grandad will be taking on his shooting season maybe next year, as his own 4year old lab got run over on the last shoot of last season :cry: she always does the point when she sees anything sometimes including people she will just freeze and stare (although i didn't know what this was called and was what she was doing till just now)

(it was me who asked about the find it game and at the moment she can find it with a bit of help, to command. i am going to try with the whisltle but not there yet.)

really just wondering if you write some advice about the different things to train for a gun dog (although maybe start a new thread as this one seems to be running away :D )

thanks anyway
Natalie
GundogGuy

Post by GundogGuy »

The bolting bunny is actually quite an easy setup to use. It consists of two corkscrew tethers and a 10 meter length of elastic cord with a rabbit skin dummy on one end.

One of the tethers has a quick release clip that attaches to a ring on the rabbit. The tethers are screwed into the ground around 25 meters apart and because the elastic is attached to on of them, as you walk to the other it gets stretched... Then the bunny is clipped onto the quick release clip and you're ready to rock... Then go get your dog, hunt him towards the dummy and when he gets close, pull the string that operates the quick release clip and the dummy shoots towards the other tether...

If your dog chases the dummy, your assistant grabs it before the dog can. If you have installed a sit 'picture' in the dog (hand up, palm facing away from you) then show it, and wait until the dog pays heed... Then praise, and repeat. If you do it right, your dog will be sitting to the flushing bunny after 3 goes.

My dog in the video knew the dummy was there so he stalked, pointed a bit...

As for a gun dog thread... hmmm perhaps :D
"Oh what gold there is to find when one is blessed with an open mind" - me, not five minutes ago :-)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I would like a gundog thread. Give it some thought, Gundog Guy, okay? :D You could even start out with one simple topic about gundogs over in the "Training Articles" section, and we could then ask questions and try what you've posted--- like the loose lead walking thread, and the potty training thread.