Toys for Strong Chewers....?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Appa_valley

Toys for Strong Chewers....?

Post by Appa_valley »

I am asking a question for my cousin, who has a boxer/pitt bull mix. They are trying to find toys for him that he won't completely tear up and I told her I would ask ya'll what your opinions were. So what toy suggestions do you have for a stong chewer? He is an uneutered 10 month old male, boxer/pitt bull mix.
ladybug1802

Re: Toys for Strong Chewers....?

Post by ladybug1802 »

Kongs are great! Really strong and tough and whats evn better is you can stuff them with yummy things and freeze them so they can be a boredom toy too! You can get the extra tough Kongs, which are black instead of red, so that mnight be good for your cousin's dog!

A lot of dogs dont like them, but my dog loves the nylon dog chew bones and they go on forever!

I also have a very strong rubber toy which sort of looks like a big flat dumbbell! It has Bonio written on it but dont know where I got it as my cousin gae it to me as her dogt wasnt interested.

Basically I think anything strong and rubber, and properly made for dogs toys would be ideal. Obviously soft toys should maybe be avoided....unless your cousin wants to spend each day clearing up a soft toy massacre!!
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

The usual answer is Kongs etc, unless you have a super-chewer. They turn up from time to time, you know a dog that will rip a black kong in half to get the food out as it saves so much time (glares at one of the Labs on the sofa). For those I pull out the Jolly Ball, it's a toy for horses to erm, horse about with (sry). They tend to keep their shape even with huge gouges missing from them.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Give him toys that he CAN tear up! :lol: That's how HE wants to play - not how we think he should play. Chewers need something to chew - otherwise they'll redirect onto things you don't want chewed.

Big strong cardboard boxes are great (no staples) cabbages, broccoli, swedes, deer antler with the sharp points cut off, Mattie cuts old fleeces into strips and plaits them - the only limit is your imagination.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah yes thats a good point! Dylan likes chewing up those cardboard boxes that have fruit pies in or something! Big knoted rope toys are good too....they cant really be totally destroyed!
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Thank you all, I will definitely let her know of all of these suggestions. Thank you!! :D