Episode 301 - Menace to High Society (Jan 8)

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

NewMilfordian

Re: Episode 301 - Menace to High Society (Jan 8)

Post by NewMilfordian »

lvs4art wrote:Why? - Was this AP's suggestion for ratings? I always thought you had more integrity than to pander to such decadence and self-indulgence. This woman's self-absorption allowed little/no time to actually be concerned with the well-being of h...er pet.
There are hundreds of families here in New Mexico who could use a lamb chop on their own plates.
Wow - I was wondering just how to say something like this! I thought the show was just awful and hope that it is not what the new season will be like. I was really ticked off by the owner's attitude. What was this, an infomercial for her husband's store?
animals

Post by animals »

Hi Victoria, I'm ten years old and I'm one of your biggest fans. I never miss any of your new episodes on Saturday night. I loved the singing pug that sang I love you. Was it hard to train ginger? I really hope that jill sticks to the training . Why is swimming excercises good for a sore leg? :D :D :D love lauren
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Victoria,
I have two questions if you don't mind. :)

1) I've heard that growls are communication and should be listened to, that sometimes it would be best to avoid what the triggers the threatening snap/growl so I was surprised (and slightly worried) that you stood near Ginger's bed when she snapped and growled at you. Do you mind explaining more why you did that?

2) Why do dog owners need to "claim their space" in front of the door?
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello Victoria,

I was wondering did Jill take Ginger for her second operation on her knees yet?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

BoardHost wrote:Victoria strives to restore order and correct a dog's neglected health when she enters the world of New York socialite Jill Zarin, whose excessive dog pampering, which includes fancy parties and doggy bling, is threatening her lifestyle.

Post your questions about this episode in this thread.
Any word on when Victoria will be answering questions?
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

Hopefully soon - thanks for your patience!
BoardHost
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

leslie123 wrote:I'm not even sure where to start. I think I'll just get to the heart of it. How did you maintain your composure so well with an owner who seemed to not only ignore your training advice, but at times argue with you? I just kept thinking the entire episode what a waste of your expertise that whole show was. I could see Ginger responding rather well when she was given the chance to, but most of the time she was just being carried around from shop to shop. I was appalled when Jill asked about a car service for the hydrotherapy, and even more saddened to see she hadn't even taken (or sent her) once. For me, one of the most beautiful aspects of the positive training method is the relationship you develop with your dog. If I were to send my dog for training, yes he would be trained, but I would miss out on the whole process and the bonding, so why even have a dog? Was the decision for Jill to be on the show something to do with network politics, like some sort of cross promotion of shows? It just seemed so different than the shows I've seen you do in the past.
Yes it certainly was a different kind of show and you will find that this season is slightly different, but there is something for everyone. Throughout the season you will see different behaviors that haven't been highlighted before, a lot of great training information and some entertaining characters. When watching the show you have to bear in mind that 50 hours of footage has to be edited to 42 minutes, which is very difficult to do and remain as true to the process as possible. So we did a lot more training than you saw and yes there are changes that Jill has to make fo Ginger. At the end of the day I advise and guide but if clients don't choose to follow the advice and techniques, there is not much I can do. Ginger is doing well though and Jill loves her beyond anything.
harold95

Post by harold95 »

its great to hear that Jill took your advise. :D
Victoria wrote:
leslie123 wrote:I'm not even sure where to start. I think I'll just get to the heart of it. How did you maintain your composure so well with an owner who seemed to not only ignore your training advice, but at times argue with you? I just kept thinking the entire episode what a waste of your expertise that whole show was. I could see Ginger responding rather well when she was given the chance to, but most of the time she was just being carried around from shop to shop. I was appalled when Jill asked about a car service for the hydrotherapy, and even more saddened to see she hadn't even taken (or sent her) once. For me, one of the most beautiful aspects of the positive training method is the relationship you develop with your dog. If I were to send my dog for training, yes he would be trained, but I would miss out on the whole process and the bonding, so why even have a dog? Was the decision for Jill to be on the show something to do with network politics, like some sort of cross promotion of shows? It just seemed so different than the shows I've seen you do in the past.
Yes it certainly was a different kind of show and you will find that this season is slightly different, but there is something for everyone. Throughout the season you will see different behaviors that haven't been highlighted before, a lot of great training information and some entertaining characters. When watching the show you have to bear in mind that 50 hours of footage has to be edited to 42 minutes, which is very difficult to do and remain as true to the process as possible. So we did a lot more training than you saw and yes there are changes that Jill has to make fo Ginger. At the end of the day I advise and guide but if clients don't choose to follow the advice and techniques, there is not much I can do. Ginger is doing well though and Jill loves her beyond anything.
Harold, and MY Lucy...
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

clicknow wrote:Hello all,

First, I should disclose that I haven't been able to see this episode yet, so maybe my question is answered in it. I watched the trailer/teaser available on animal planet's website last night and was actually really shocked to hear Victoria say that a high-protein diet is linked to aggression increase in dogs. I've met many, many dogs on high protein diets and raw diets, low carb (or carbohydrate-free) and grain-free diets, and since I feed a high-protein diet to my own animals (after quite a bit of research to make sure I'm doing it in a balanced way) I was naturally concerned because I have never, NEVER heard that before, except from very uneducated people who are vague and can never back up their words with articles/research/studies or even anecdata. Even now, I'm doing the searches online and checking my nutrition resources, and there's warnings here about calcium deficit, the dangers of vitamin A overload, weight gain for low-activity animals, a possible connection between high-protein and decreased kidney function in renal failure animals, but there's nothing about increased aggressive response.

Yes, that dog's diet was unbalanced, and the dog was also fat. But where did Victoria get that increased aggression stuff? I'd really like to know, because I, and my colleagues, haven't seen that study.

When you feed a high protein diet to a dog that does not do a lot of exericise there can be significant changes in behavior. High protein = high energy and if a dog does not have the chance to exerice and get rid of that energy , he or she can become more frustrated, irritable and more reactive. James O'Heare has done some studies on the affects of high protein diets, but personally I have had so much success helping reactive and/or aggressive dogs by changing diet alone to a lower performance ration. Again the whole discussion wasn't shown, which is an editing problem, but diet should always be addressed when doing a modification plan. Every dog is unique and reponds differently.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

koby10 wrote:I am not sure what to think about last nights episode! I'm curious if this how the whole season will be going? So many problems were uncovered with Ginger, but I not sure that any were solved. I felt so sorry for that little dog. I am curious about the relationship between to much protein in a dogs diet and aggressive behavior. I have an 8 month old Schnauzer/Poodle mix who is being feed Holistic Select dog food. He gets 1/4 cup twice a day and just loves it, but he has become some what aggressive. He will bite the backs of my legs and show his teeth to me when I try and correct him. I searched a long time to find a food that didn't have fillers and all kinds of junk in it but now I'm worried that the food might have to much protein in it. Could I have created my own problems with this food? He does not get treats unless we are working on training with him but they usually are small bits of chicken. Someone told me this is just "little dog syndrome" but I have no idea what that is! He was very laid back when we brought him home at 8 weeks so this aggression has come as a bit of a surprise. He is very friendly with all people that come into our home and also with anyone he meets outside on walks, no hint of aggression at all. It's like I have a puppy with a dual personality. Any suggestions?
Please see my last reply about high performance food and potential to exacerbate behavioral issues but it does sound that these issues are linked to growth and behavioral changes that happen to all dogs as they mature. However genetics can play a part (where did he come from) and some dogs do not respond well to 'discipline'. Do not be confrontational with him as this will exacerbate the problem, but guide him and teach him to make different choices. As we grow through this series you will see many different examples of dogs 'fighting' when their owners are confrontational with them and the change that happens when owners stop being confrontational and get good behavior from the dog by employing other techniques. Sounds like you could use the help of a +R trainer. you can find one by going to find a trainer section of this website.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

harold95 wrote:Licking up the nose. My shih tzu does this to me all the time. Is it a good/bad thing? Whats it a sign of? Thanks!
Liking the taste of your nose, affection and because you let him or her do it! It's totally harmless
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Plumber wrote:Like others have said on here, I was surprised by the high protein diet = aggression comment. Is there any chance of some further clarification on this.
Please see my answers to similar posts on this thread
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:I have to agree with some others. i think that was, a just to kick off the season show and lets see if we can get anybody "tv famous", to do the show for higher ratings maybe.? gotta remember its all about marketing,and since the show is getting huge i doubt victoria has any say in that department. although i think if jill were a regular person,victoria wouldnt of put up with her shananigans at all.it seemed like she had to hold back a bit because of who the client was,but i dont think we have nothing to worry about. we will be seeing victoria crack some skulls in this new season!
Believe me I didn't hold back at all and told Jill exactly what I thought. No I didn't shout at her because that would not be constructive and I don't lose my temper with many people.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

braeraphael wrote:I have not seen the episode yet. But I can't wait to see it! From what I have read, it looks like a lot of fans/viewers have a lot of negative feedback about dog owner Jill. I think it must be hard to watch someone not appear serious, and clueless about dogs, and have someone who knows tons about training look as if they can't get their point across accurately. Also put yourself in that situation. I think as a dog trainer you also have to be a human trainer, and you have to work with the person. Someone like Jill may have not taken to lightly to Victoria's tough love tactics. But who really knows?

Also there is a lot of talk about the high protein diet can lead to aggression in dogs. There is some speculation about this study, but I don't think there is a clear 100% full proof study on it.

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10 ... 00.217.504

there is also this link:
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/ca ... n-in-dogs/

I believe Diet does plays an important role in dog behavior. I wish there was better, accurate research on the matter. Many dog trainers claim that raw food is the way to go, and some say it's not. We have a lot to learn, but what it really comes down to is educating yourself about training, and training your dog positively.

@koby10, how are you disciplining your dog? what is your dog doing wrong that needs correcting? Are you smacking, hitting the dog? Teach the dog what you want it to do instead of what NOT to do.

I lived in NY for five years and miss it dearly. It will be great to see familiar places. NY is a tough city full of wonderful people and dogs. Victoria is a wonderful trainer, and I can't wait to see what awaits this season!
Thanks for your great post.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

cinnywatches wrote:how can you help a fearful dog to become more social? Should they go places like petcos, petsmarts and parks to interact with people or is it best to keep them away from people?
thanks
A great resource for this problem is Nicole Wilde's book, 'Help for Your Fearful Dog - A Step by Step Guide to Helping Your Dog Conquer His Fears.' I would not take your dog to busy places until he or she can cope with a quieter environment with less people first.