Clipping baby puppy nails...

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Clipping baby puppy nails...

Post by Leigha »

I think it's time I clip the puplets' nails. They're starting to hook a little bit and they're getting little pieces of the bedding fibers stuck under them. I know how to clip dogs' nails, but I'm scared to do a puppy's. What do I use to clip them? For sure the regular old nail clipper is too big. (right?)
mselisabs

Re: Clipping baby puppy nails...

Post by mselisabs »

Not sure what kind of puppy you have (chihuahua compared to a lab...) but if they are small/thin enough you can always use a cat nail clipper: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Pet-Produ ... 842&sr=8-3
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

They're walkerhound puppies. I think it's going to wait 'til Friday when we're both home to deal with it. I'm figuring it's going to take us quite a bit of time to clip the nails of 7 puppies.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Sneak up on 'em when they are asnoozin.. and lop the tips off the nails with a small pair of nail clippers (maybe people toenail clippers? or a pair of lightweight wire snips...)

If you are worried then instead you could sand them down a bit with a nail file.. but sneaking up on snoozin puppies who have fully bellies is the best way generally to do something they may object to when totally awake!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Circadian

Post by Circadian »

I know this is an older post :) But I'm sure many people with puppies look at it for advice :)
I am a dog groomer and I think early nail trimming is a GREAT WAY to make sure your dog is great for all his/her future nail trims! There is no reason to be sneaky about it, just do it with the puppy awake! If the puppy is too wiggly (because which puppy isnt) ask a friend to hold him/her for you as you complete the task :)

Plase make sure you know how to trim your dogs nails to avoid hurting your puppy! Your vet and/or groomer can go over basic nail and ear care with you!!
Do it often so that its not a chore.. and so that the puppy can get use to it!!!
Always make it a postitive experance! Lots of "Ohhh!! Good Boy!!!! Ohhh so good!!!" Lots of love and treats too!
and keep Septic Powder on hand incase you do mess up a little! so you can pack it in the nail to stop any bleeding!

You will have a puppy who grows up into a dog whos not afraid to have a nail trim :)

I hope you had great luck with your nail trimming!
I even groom some dogs that the moment I walk twords them with the nail clippers there putting there paws up to be done. :) hehe that makes me so happy! :)