Biting Stranger's Feet

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gklounge

Biting Stranger's Feet

Post by gklounge »

I adopted a 7 year old Miniature Poodle from the local Humane Society in June 2010. Whenever a visitor comes to my house, she tries to bite their feet when they are walking. She never does this to my feet. I am not sure of her history and not sure how to correct this behavior. She is really sweet with me, and do not want to have to kennel her everytime I have a visitor. She also makes a growling sound with strangers. She does not bare her teeth at all. Any suggestions?
maximoo

Re: Biting Stranger's Feet

Post by maximoo »

"Place" training is suggested for her. "place" means going & remaining in a designated spot. Dog may sit, stand or assume any position but is not allowed to get off of his/her "place. Send her to her pillow/mat when doorbell rings & until stranger has been seated. She is not to get up to greet until the stranger is sitting. Allow dog to sniff the guest. Have treats for the guest to throw at her & give a few simple commands like sit, shake, etc.Lots of "good girls" from the guest & you. Do not let guest pet her head. Her chest & back/sides can be petted softly & briefly. After this send her back to her place she should remain there until guest leaves. You can practice this with willing family members & friends. Teach her a word for it, Place, bed, mat, etc
GOOD LUCK!
gklounge

Re: Biting Stranger's Feet

Post by gklounge »

That sounds like a good idea. Thank you. I will try it!