No-Pull Harness

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lo_ball

No-Pull Harness

Post by Lo_ball »

Hi everyone

My mum watched a (probably old) episode of IMOTD last night and Victoria used a 'no-pull harness' on a labrador called Red. She's really interested in getting one of these harnesses as her Doberman/Whippet has occasional severe pulling moments which she's no longer really able to cope with. We did get him a harness to help her keep control when he's pulling and it does work, but neither of us are particularly happy with the design of it; it's basically nylon cord with a flimsy fabric covering that runs from the lead, through two rings at the back of the collar, under the front legs and then clips on the collar at the front.

Does anyone know exactly what harness was used in the episode and if it's available in the UK?

Thanks in advance :)
Kia
We must treat each other with dignity. Not only because we merit it, but because we we grow best in thoughtfulness ~ Leo Buscaglia

Shiny, lets go be bad guys!
Noobs

Re: No-Pull Harness

Post by Noobs »

Your best option is to use this method for teaching loose leash walking:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858

And using a sturdy harness such as a Walkeez (or "fleece harness"). A no-pull harness I've seen Victoria use before is an easywalk. You clip the lead to the front. But if your dog is a dobie/whippet he likely has a very very short coat and the easywalk is likely to cause chafing under the armpits (it happened to my lab/whippet). You're far better off using a walkeez because it will be much more comfortable and easier to control the dog based on the placement of the D-ring - here they are in the UK - http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/harnesses-fleece-lined

Best of luck!
Lo_ball

Post by Lo_ball »

Thanks for that Noobs. I have done a lot of work with Yaz over the years and he does loose leash walk now 90% of the time it's just every now and then he'll go into "tracking" mode and can forget he's got someone on the other end of the leash! This is ok if it's me walking him because I can do the direction change to get his attention back, but mum's not so great on her feet anymore and sometimes his initial pull can be enough to unbalance her and then it's pretty much all she can do to stay upright.

I'll check out the Walkeez harness as you're right about his coat, incredibly short and prone to rubs/chaffing.

BTW, apparently the episode in question was Season 1!
We must treat each other with dignity. Not only because we merit it, but because we we grow best in thoughtfulness ~ Leo Buscaglia

captmac

Post by captmac »

My son owns an Old English Bulldog with the best temperment of any dog I have ever encountered ( I have had many breeds) Jack Alexander is the gentlest, most friendly soul...kind to other dogs and lovable to all humans. He even turns the other cheek when my small Yorkie-poodle mix decides to enforce her dominance over him. He just ignores her bad behavior and gets down to her level to encourage play. Then you try to walk Jack old boy...he will pull like a locomotive...we have tried different types of collars with no sucess? I would like to obtain the harness I saw Victoria use on tv. Are these fleece-lined harnesses available in the US? If so, where?
Thanks
Lo_ball

Post by Lo_ball »

Harness arrived yesterday and we've already tried it out on both mum's dog and the Border Collie I walk for an elderly lady (who hasn't yet grasped loose leash walking). Really impressed with the quality of it and the fleece is super-soft, best harness for dog comfort I've come across. Plus it worked wonders on the collie instantly so I'd definitely recommend them to use while training.

Captmac - yes they are available in the US, just type walkeez harness into a search engine and you'll find quite a few sites However your best bet to get him to stop pulling is to train him to walk on a loose leash using the method in the link Noobs posted. Good luck :)

LouiseJB

Post by LouiseJB »

Great to see information about this on here - I just ordered one not half an hour ago. Fleece-lined sounds so comfortable too!
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

I would wonder if anyone had a regular type harness (without the fleece) if they could put those fleece lined seatbelt covers on them?