Agility

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

Agility

Post by danabanana »

Mentioned on another thread about starting an agility one - so thought I would!

The training class I take Teagan to also runs agility and flyball training. She's too young at the moment but we're starting early with simple stuff. She LOVES racing through the tunnels, we also put poles on the ground for her to 'jump'. Last week we had a little two team race, with no equipment but a couple of cones. The dogs had to go round the cones on lead, then off-lead, following your hand - the idea being they should be focussed on your hand so you can progress to this over the equipment. Teagan did it fine even off lead (I did have a piece of sausage in my hand though). We also put a pole on the floor and got the dogs to go over the pole and then turn left or turn right - again learning directions for when they do it properly. She's a natural! Lots of tired happy doggies at the end!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Oh this could be a good thread!
So far we have had one go at agility, but not at a good club, it was just a few jumps, a tunnel and some cones to weave through, and it was on concrete, so we won't be going back there. Waiting for the outdoor classes to start again in April. But Horace loved the jumps, did go through the tunnel with a bit of encouragement, and could do the cones when he watched me and not the other dogs! I can't wait to start it properly, and I'm really hoping that it will help focus him to me even more. How much longer do you have to wait with Teagan? What is she?
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Horace's Mum wrote:Oh this could be a good thread!
So far we have had one go at agility, but not at a good club, it was just a few jumps, a tunnel and some cones to weave through, and it was on concrete, so we won't be going back there. Waiting for the outdoor classes to start again in April. But Horace loved the jumps, did go through the tunnel with a bit of encouragement, and could do the cones when he watched me and not the other dogs! I can't wait to start it properly, and I'm really hoping that it will help focus him to me even more. How much longer do you have to wait with Teagan? What is she?
Hi she is 4 and a half months now, she's a beagle and is FAST when she wants to be, but it will be another 8 or 9 months before I try her on the proper equipment and at least a year before she can go and compete. There are a couple of pics of her on the let's see your dogs thread x
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

we will be able to start in about September this year, maybe a bit earlier if we go easy. We have done tunnels at training class which Ellie went through fine once she saw I was at the other end of it. Also we do 'jumps' when we are out on walks, over fallen trees, logs, whatever and Ellie really enjoys it (by passers think I am a complete loon though :lol: ). TBH I hadn't even thought about the fact that it will get Ellie to listen to me more as I had seen it purely from a 'fun' point of view, but if it helps in this area too then great!!
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Agility show on Sat 8th at the uk arena - Grantham.

Anyone going? I will be there with the training class people, there are a couple in the group competing but am just taking Teagan for a day out and to see what goes on. Feel free to come and say hi to the little tan & white beagle if you are there x
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Went this morning, Teagan has never been so popular! She had a great time. One lady had 2 beagles in the advanced group, they are so quick! The club's dippy retriever decided not to bother doing the course though, he wanted to play with the collie in the next ring instead! And even though Teagan couldn't compete and didn't really do any physical exercise, she was flaked out in the car all the way home and has been all afternoon.
barngirl

agility

Post by barngirl »

Yeah for all owners who are starting agility training with your dogs,
at whatever age! It's one of the best ways to exercise a dog's
entire self - not just physically but mentally too. Most dogs love
the challenge, and the chance to stimulate & use their 'prey' drive
on the course.

The bonus for the owner is a happier (and tired!) doggie, not
to mention the bond that builds between you both. That attention
transfers to every part of your life together. It has saved my life
with my terriers! Warning tho: it's terribly addicting for humans!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Had a bit of an upset today, found out they are starting real beginners courses before you can do the "big" classes (which is good, classes of only 5) but I am too late to start the first course in 2 weeks :( This means I will have to wait for the second lot, which is in 10 weeks time, end of May as long as there are no delays. On the plus side, they are being run by the main trainer at our dog club, so she already knows us, and she is going to give me a copy of the obedience exercises they will have to learn before they do any jumping, so we can practice at home. It will be great to just have 4 other dogs though, once Horace gets to know them I might have half a chance of getting his attention! He discovered liver cake today, and it actually drew him away from other dogs a lot better, so off I go to buy a blender!!